Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I think I fixed the clicking noise but as some expense!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-09-14, 04:38 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I just don't like noises on the bike, or in the car for that matter.

I developed a clicking noise a couple weeks ago on my 11 speed Campy and it was driving me nuts. You could hear it every pedal stroke. It was loud enough people riding with me commented on it. I'm not sure of what fixed it exactly but at least it sounds like it has stopped. I've found that noises in the drive train can travel so I was never able to really pin point where it was coming from. It would only make the noise under load.

I had already checked the rims and frame for cracks and fortunately didn't see any.

I had a good number of miles on the Record Chain so I replaced it with a KMC. I'm using the quick links on the KMC so I can easily clean the chain. One of the mechanics told me he has had issues with Record chain links warping and sticking so I'm going to try a different brand this go round. I had over 20,000 miles on the cassette so I forked over big bucks and got a new 12-29 Record cassette. I was running a 12-19 Super Record but I got a great deal on the Record and it saved me $100 for just 60 grams of additional weight!! The SR stuff is SO expensive.

I also removed the pedals, cleaned them and applied new grease on the threads. I also applied a touch of grease on the skewers. I also cleaned all the drive train as best I could. I did not test the tightness on the cranks nor check the bottom bracket...that was going to be next.

After a test drive and some minor shifting adjustments all seems to be running quietly again. Thanks Goodness!!

I also didn't know if my shoes were contributing to the noise so when my wife encouraged me to get some new Sidi's I jumped at it. The ones I'm using were not only looking really worn they didn't have any padding from the heels back towards the top of the shoe. Also, one of the nuts in the left shoe was sliding back in forth in its track and making a noise with every pedal stroke as well. I found some past year's models of the type I wear and was able to save a good bit so I picked up another pair of those as well. I did test the bike with the old shoes so at least I know it was NOT the shoes causing the clicking noise......

While I was reassembling stuff I noticed that the Garmin Transponder on the chain stay was hitting the magnet on the crank arm, I don't think that was causing the clicking noise as the noise usually only happened under heavier load. Plus that normally sounds a little different.

Anyway I guess it was a good excuse to update stuff that was probably way overdue anyway. At least that is my excuse!
Old 10-09-14, 04:45 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Fortunately, I've diagnosed similar stuff so often, it's becoming second nature. For me, it's usually the pedals or cleats. Easy to check the pedals ... just hold on to them and wiggle them. If there is any play, that is at least part of the problem.

I had a clicking sound that drove me nuts on the 508. The source? The front wheel (Easton EA-90 SLX). It has a little mechanism for pre-loading the front bearings ... something that needs adjustment every 100 miles or so. Once adjusted, the sound disappeared.

Old 10-09-14, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20,000 mi on a cassette! I would bet that the new cassette & chain were the factors, thats a lot of miles on a cassette by ANBODY's standards!!
Old 10-09-14, 07:00 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
New cassette and chain will be a treat and with a 29t you can enjoy a few hills.
Old 10-09-14, 07:48 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Biker395
Fortunately, I've diagnosed similar stuff so often, it's becoming second nature. For me, it's usually the pedals or cleats. Easy to check the pedals ... just hold on to them and wiggle them. If there is any play, that is at least part of the problem.

I had a clicking sound that drove me nuts on the 508. The source? The front wheel (Easton EA-90 SLX). It has a little mechanism for pre-loading the front bearings ... something that needs adjustment every 100 miles or so. Once adjusted, the sound disappeared.
I originally had that same wheelset on the Prince until I got the carbon wheels. I had the same thing happen running the Eastons except my noise was on the rear wheel at that time. Those wheels were a great buy and are really durable. I got them off ebay for around $500.
Old 10-10-14, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I had a similar problem that turned out to be the pedal. No amount of cleaning and lubing helped but replacing the pedal cured the problem.
Old 10-13-14, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You did so much it's hard to tell what fixed it! But I'm glad you did, those noises can drive you crazy after awhile. The first time it happened to me, many people on this forum told me to check the seat post. I found it hard to believe that the seat post could have anything to do with a clicking that seemed to be in the pedal or the crank or the bottom bracket. But since it was the easiest thing to go after, I removet the post, greased it good along with the tube itself and..........it fixed the noise. The second time it happened I repeated the process but no luck this time. I applied some penetrating oil to the pedals and that did the trick. Strange noises are hard to figure for sure, but I like the bike quiet as well.
Old 11-11-14, 10:17 AM

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too am dealing with a clicking noise that appears only under a load. I can't duplicate it on my work stand or when hammering the pedals on the trainer in the large chainring and smallest cog. I thought it was the bottom bracket since I did a rebuild a few weeks ago. I replaced all cables at the same time. I did a second bottom bracket rebuild really tightening the fixed cup this time, but it's still clicking. I've switched out pedals, shoes, front wheel, and saddle to no avail. I just finished cleaning and lubing the chain. Test ride coming up in one hour. I'll try a new chain next.
tsapp

Last edited by tsappenfield; 11-11-14 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Omission of important stuff.
Old 11-11-14, 02:30 PM

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test ride is over and it's still clicking. Interesting observation that the clicking noise pretty much disappears if I pedal uphill and out of the saddle. Also, I wanted to add that the bike shifts perfectly in any gear. Finally, I failed to mention that this bike is my Peugeot Performance 200 which has been a great "second string" road bike. Any new ideas as to what might be the problem?
Tsapp
Old 11-11-14, 02:44 PM
Let's do a Century

I would have suggested to look at the rims to make sure you don't see any cracks at the spoke holes but usually for me those only click as slow speeds and while climbing. You are sure the crank is free and clear from anything, correct? I mention clearances only because I had the plastic over the guard on the chain stay near the bottom bracket to fray outward before and it was hitting the crank.

Have you tried different wheels or skewers by chance to see if that makes a difference? My brother had a noise that was somehow related to the front wheel and skewer moving ever so slightly.
Old 11-11-14, 02:53 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by tsappenfield
Test ride is over and it's still clicking. Interesting observation that the clicking noise pretty much disappears if I pedal uphill and out of the saddle. Also, I wanted to add that the bike shifts perfectly in any gear. Finally, I failed to mention that this bike is my Peugeot Performance 200 which has been a great "second string" road bike. Any new ideas as to what might be the problem?
Tsapp
I'd check your seat post, rails and clamp.

Old 11-12-14, 05:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thing is, no clicking occurred until I did the bottom bracket rebuild and cable replacement, so wheel, seatpost, etc., seem unlikely sources of the sound to me.
tsapp
Old 11-12-14, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
OP, maybe the bike was just telling you it was time for a bit of maintenance. Smart bikes will do that.
Old 12-03-14, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So here was the fix for my clicking noise. After talking to yet another mechanic, he said that in his experience, a clicking noise after a bottom bracket rebuild was most often due to cranks not being pushed into position with sufficient force. He suggested I use a two foot length of pipe onto the end of the wrench (think lever), and really lean into it. Well, I just got back from my test ride and guess what? NO CLICKING! Thought I'd share this info with you
Tsapp