Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Gravel Grinding and Dogs

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Gravel Grinding and Dogs

Old 10-10-14, 04:40 AM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Gravel Grinding and Dogs

Since the days are shorter I have started Gravel Grinding. One thing I found out yesterday there are more dogs willing to chase on country roads. I actaully found out twice as a big dog was chasing that I had much more energy than I thougt and going 20+ on gravel was possible .
Old 10-10-14, 06:05 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
How aggressive were the dogs? Sheep dogs will chase and sometimes nip, but usually don't really want to bite. Other dogs can be out for blood.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-10-14, 07:18 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After a couple of uncomfortable situations over the last few years, I finally gave in an bought some pepper spray. A good tip that was given to me by a rural delivery man who deals with nuisance dogs by spraying a short burst on the ground (you need a stream or close cone pattern for this) between himself and the animal. Most dogs will get a whiff and back off to bark from a distance. If an actual attack is imminent, he already has the can out do to what he needs to.
Old 10-10-14, 07:46 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
Since the days are shorter I have started Gravel Grinding. One thing I found out yesterday there are more dogs willing to chase on country roads. I actaully found out twice as a big dog was chasing that I had much more energy than I thougt and going 20+ on gravel was possible .
See?! That's what my "quick fast and hurry up" thread is all about. You know, those times when you got a need for speed.
Old 10-10-14, 07:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 4626 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 691 Posts
I've been thinking about getting some pepper spray for some time. Good thread.
Old 10-10-14, 08:22 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought about this after a couple recent scares, but I figured that in the panic I'd probably spray the thing into my own face!

How easy are those things to use? If they're anything like fire extinguishers then I'll pass. (They'll find my charred remains still trying to get the pin out).
Old 10-10-14, 08:52 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 264 Posts
I got some that is easy to work. It's smaller than my cell phone. You simply hold it, slide your index finger over the trigger tube slide (your finger has to intentionally push aside a plastic cover that keeps from discharging accidentally), point, and pull.
Old 10-10-14, 09:04 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN View Post
After a couple of uncomfortable situations over the last few years, I finally gave in an bought some pepper spray. A good tip that was given to me by a rural delivery man who deals with nuisance dogs by spraying a short burst on the ground (you need a stream or close cone pattern for this) between himself and the animal. Most dogs will get a whiff and back off to bark from a distance. If an actual attack is imminent, he already has the can out do to what he needs to.
I've done that in the past. It worked for me. It's a win-win situation. The dog doesn't bite me 'cause I obviously will taste bad. But the dog still wins 'cause he chased me off his territory.

Edited to add, my cousin had trained guard dogs. His were trained to ignore pepper spray and still attack. The point is pepper spray won't stop every dog. But 999/1000 works for me.
Old 10-10-14, 09:10 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

Edited to add, my cousin had trained guard dogs. His were trained to ignore pepper spray and still attack. The point is pepper spray won't stop every dog. But 999/1000 works for me.
If your cousin had trained guard dogs and they were in a position to attack cyclists riding along, your cousin belongs in jail.
Old 10-10-14, 09:18 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
If your cousin had trained guard dogs and they were in a position to attack cyclists riding along, your cousin belongs in jail.
True. But never forget dogs are intelligent and some like to figure things out. Such as finding a weak point in the fence, gate, etc.
Old 10-10-14, 09:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 803 Posts
Put the Animal control officer's number on your speed dial.
Old 10-10-14, 10:10 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
I generally carry pepper spray, but a squirt of water from my water bottle is typically enough to back off any dog who gets too close. Combined with an authoritative "No! Bad Dog!", my legs have remained bite free.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 10-10-14, 11:42 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 49 Posts
Sympathy here, been there, done that. Once after a day of Mountain biking in Ruidoso, NM I decided to bike over a mountain to get a burger and Onion rings in town. I was taking a road through a community and heard a dog barking, then I saw it. It was a three legged dog, lived in a house just below the top of the hill. But he was behind a fence, for a minute. Then he ducked under the fence and the chase was on. PROBLEM, two pickups from TEXAS loaded with cowboys saw what was going on. They pulled over and were rooting for the dog. My pride swelled up, no way I am kicking a three legged dog and no way am I loosing. I won the race, but I was DOG tired.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 10-10-14, 11:55 AM
jcb3

Bikes: 1983 Trek 700, 1972 Peugeot PX10, 1989 Nishiki Cascade, 2014 Focus Izalco

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Maybe bring the frame pump along
Old 10-10-14, 12:17 PM
RideMyWheel

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please, guys, not this again. If you've ever had to help a dog recover from pepper spray, you'd never consider doing it unless you're just a sadistic bastard. Get off the bike, and use it as a barrier. A strong NO! is usually enough to make them back down and go home. Once they realize you're human and not a weird-looking gazelle, they'll back down. Instinct makes them chase anything that moves, and when they saw your pumping legs they couldn't help themselves.

Originally Posted by bbbean View Post
I generally carry pepper spray, but a squirt of water from my water bottle is typically enough to back off any dog who gets too close. Combined with an authoritative "No! Bad Dog!", my legs have remained bite free.
+1

Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
I was taking a road through a community and heard a dog barking, then I saw it. It was a three legged dog, lived in a house just below the top of the hill. But he was behind a fence, for a minute. Then he ducked under the fence and the chase was on. PROBLEM, two pickups from TEXAS loaded with cowboys saw what was going on. They pulled over and were rooting for the dog. My pride swelled up, no way I am kicking a three legged dog and no way am I loosing. I won the race, but I was DOG tired.
Good man!

I had a three-legged dog when I was a kid. He became a three-legged dog because he chased cars. After losing the back leg I think he might have even been faster. Power to weight ratio, I guess. He never stopped chasing, either, but he left kids on bikes alone. If he walked up to the wrong side of a tree to do his business, rather than turn around and re-direct his aim, he would lift his good back leg, tilt his equipment toward the tree, balancing on the front two legs and fire away! No BS.

His name was Kilroy. Helluva good dog, too. Lost half of his tail in a fight with a German Shepherd twice his size. The Shepherd backed down.

Circa 1974. Lovely shag rug, don't you think?
Attached Images
Old 10-10-14, 12:21 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by RideMyWheel View Post
Please, guys, not this again. If you've ever had to help a dog recover from pepper spray, you'd never consider doing it unless you're just a sadistic bastard. Get off the bike, and use it as a barrier. A strong NO! is usually enough to make them back down and go home. Once they realize you're human and not a weird-looking gazelle, they'll back down. Instinct makes them chase anything that moves, and when they saw your pumping legs they couldn't help themselves.

. . .
The vast, vast majority of dogs will back down if you talk to them and/or squirt some water at them. A few won't. I think that this was the point of the thread. Defending yourself in such a situation is not sadism.
Old 10-10-14, 12:29 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Do you have to dismount to use the pepper spray? Taking one hand off the bars to point a water bottle or spray seems hard to me - it would slow me down and make more vulnerable. And giving a dog in that situation any kind of attention might just get the dog more excited. I've had dogs run but not threaten me. A strong "NO!" usually helps. Sometimes I just out-run them - if they're small enough and if I have a big enough lead. But there are dogs that no cyclist could out-run and so you hope those are friendly.
Old 10-10-14, 04:03 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am very much against pepper spraying a dog except as an absolute last resort. That's why I didn't carry any for so long. I'm a huge dog lover and have had several in my lifetime. My golden is curled up on the couch as I type. I've had many dog encounters over the years but 99% you can back down, outrun or walk out of their territory without incident. I would never pepper spray a dog in the face unless all other options were off the table and I was in real danger of being bitten. I've had two situations over the past few years where the spray would have been out and I might have used the indirect spray on the ground between us approach. I know there are riders who will say "just outrun em" but for a 50 year old Clyde doing centuries on a steel bike in hilly country, that isn't always an option.
Old 10-10-14, 04:32 PM
ofgit 
Senor Puppet

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had pets all my life and have mourned their passing but I don't intend to spend time in traction to 'save' an animal that is 'only doing what comes natural'.
Old 10-10-14, 05:10 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 166 Posts
All of this begs the pressing question: OP, why do you want to grind your gravel? Couldn't you just buy a finer grade?
Old 10-10-14, 06:08 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Ride on gravel in a very rural area, lots of dogs of all sizes and temperaments. Mostly, dogs chase for the sport of it. Let then catch up to you, stop cycling (not encouraging the chase). Then say " now that you have it, what are you going to do with it ? Most dogs will bark down. However for the rare dog that keeps going,
i carry a 16" piece of rope with a big knot on the end- this smacked upside the head is cause for dog defeat.
Old 10-10-14, 06:55 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
A sharp, command voice, NO! directed right at the dog will usually make it hesitate long enough to make a get-away.
Old 10-10-14, 07:28 PM
Coal Buster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you must carry pepper spray, be sure to buy a dog specific type. It's weaker than human intended spray. A dog's tear ducts don't work like ours and human defense spray can cause permanent damage.
Old 10-10-14, 08:27 PM
bikemig 

Amazon.com: Dog Repellent, Canine Pepper Spray, Muzzle by Mace, w. keychain: Sports & Outdoors
Old 10-10-14, 09:03 PM
ofgit 
Senor Puppet

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah. Read the reviews.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.