Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just Went "Clipless" (sort of LOL!) and this is soooo cool!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just Went "Clipless" (sort of LOL!) and this is soooo cool!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 09:01 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
It's not all "wide open spaces" I ride through....and while I'm sure that clipping in and out gets easier and easier as the movements become more ingrained?....there's places where having to option to go to the platform side could come in real handy...like when traversing intersections (or congested areas) were a person may have to stop and start again several times in a short distance and clipping out and in just isn't quite as practical and more of a pita than a help...not to mention pose a possible safety issue....in my "going clipless for the first time" rookie eyes anyway. LOL!
I use Shimano pedals that implement the same idea, and I love them for exactly this reason - I can toggle back and forth between clipless and platform as conditions warrant - and can also hop on the bike while wearing sandals or tennis shoes for a quick trip to the hardware store.

Enjoy those clipless pedals - if you're like some of us, you'll begin to fill a little "loose in the saddle" when you're not clipped in!
Old 10-20-14, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
2 to 1 says it's six months or less until you relace them for double sided pedals.
My wife had them as her first pedals, it wasn't long before she hated them because the where always 'upside down' and she couldn't clip in.
Old 10-20-14, 01:13 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
2 to 1 says it's six months or less until you relace them for double sided pedals.
My wife had them as her first pedals, it wasn't long before she hated them because the where always 'upside down' and she couldn't clip in.
Yeah, I'm about there myself. I've gone on about one ride without using my cleated shoes since I got my dual purpose Shimanos.
Old 10-20-14, 03:11 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Hmmm...you name the amount and whatever it is?...I'll take that bet! LOL!...but I won't take your money...instead?...maybe I'll try to help you and your wife out here as.....

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Yeah, I'm about there myself. I've gone on about one ride without using my cleated shoes since I got my dual purpose Shimanos.
Maybe it's a "Shimano Duel Interface Pedal" thing?....reason I bring it up is because I simply can't relate to this malody and haven't encountered it with the Exustar Pedals....or?...maybe it could simply be "Operator Error" as I was instructed by the LBS pro that with mine?....they are counterbalanced in such a way that...

1. If I move my foot forward with the top of the pedal?...the clip-in side comes up and these Specialized RBX cleats snap right in as soon as each foot hit's BDC and viola!...I'm clipped in.

or?....

2. If I move my foot rearward against the top of the pedals?...the platform side comes up.

So for me it's just simply remembering...

"Foot Forward" ='s Clip'in Side

"Foot Rearward" ='s Platform Side

Bottom line for me here is....even a blind man has a 50/50 shot at getting it right the first time so if you screw this up more than once?...you may want to look into a trike!
Old 10-20-14, 03:29 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Originally Posted by GravelMN
Great choice and good looking pedals. Very much like my road bike's Shimano A530s I use with MTB shoes and absolutely love em.

Two suggestions if you are new to clipless:

1) Get Shimano's multi-release cleats. Many shoes now come with them, but if you get the old single release cleats (usually black) upgrade to the multis. The multi-release allow you to unclip in pretty much any direction except straight forward or straight back. The single release require a specific movement of the ankle and have a narrow range of angles to disengage. The singles work but you will be more likely to have failed clip outs, especially when you have to stop quick.

2) There is an adjustment for the tension on the spring which sets how firmly the cleat is held in the pedal and how much force is required to release it. You will need an appropriate allen key. The factory setting IMHO is usually too high except for aggressive riders experienced with SPD clipless. Read the instructions and lower the tension to a low tension and make sure it is even on both pedals (back all the way off and then 1-2 turns back in). If you find yourself accidentally clipping out too easily, just increase the tension 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time until you find the right balance of retention and easy clip outs.

Practice clipping in and out holding onto a fence or a post for balance and make sure it is smooth and easy. When you first head out, stick to low risk areas and practice clipping in and out until it becomes intuitive. You may have a failed clip out or two at stops until you get used to them, usually there will be witnesses. Some one liners that might come in handy are:

"Nice asphalt/concrete!"
"Hey, I found a quarter!"
"The gravity is working."

One nice feature of dual sided pedals is that you can clip out a little early and pedal on the flats (assuming you are using walkable MTB or Touring shoes) to come to a stop and get started again. It won't take long and you will clip in and out without even thinking about it.
Thanks...good stuff and great suggestions but truth be told?...I feel like I was pretty blessed by the attention to detail I received from the LBS pro who sold this stuff to me....then installed and adjusted them (where he set the tension)....and then spent about 15-20 minutes with me setting my bike up on a trainer and instructing me in the use of such and had me clip in and out several times without so much as a hiccup...he smiled and nodded with a "Very Good!"...so I felt pretty confident in this gear before I ever rolled the bike out of the shop.

Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer
I use Shimano pedals that implement the same idea, and I love them for exactly this reason - I can toggle back and forth between clipless and platform as conditions warrant - and can also hop on the bike while wearing sandals or tennis shoes for a quick trip to the hardware store.

Enjoy those clipless pedals - if you're like some of us, you'll begin to fill a little "loose in the saddle" when you're not clipped in!
Amen to all of that so far!...as the terms....

"Increased Efficiency (with the option of) Convenient Versatility"

come too mind!
Old 10-22-14, 11:08 AM

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went the other way on that, from two-sided clipless pedals to the Shimanos with one flat side and am happy with them. I enjoy being clipped during my training rides but not for errands and happy hour trips around town.
Old 10-22-14, 07:00 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Its not such a bad move to use those two sided Shimano pedals. I know a lot of commuters and recreational riders that love having them. The MTB crowd around here loves them, too. Personally, I am sold on the SPD-SL Shimano pedals I've been using for over 6 years now. Not had a Club Tombay style fall either. When it does happen I'll get up and go back to riding, I fell before without them very well, thank you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-22-14, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
May your pending Tombays be gentle.
Glad someone said it. In my experience "everyone" bites it at least once. For that matter, I've fallen numerous times, and as recent as a year ago despite having ridden clipless for quite a while.

Jinkster, I have very similar pedals on one of my bikes for the very same reason of flexibility of shoe and ride type. Good luck - enjoy!
Old 10-23-14, 04:34 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
If you're out for a serious ride then clipless shoes and pedals make sense, especially if you are also Lycra clad, so that you look like a serious cyclist.

If you are riding a bike as part of another activity that includes a reasonable amount of walking then clipless shoes without recessed cleats are completely unnecessary, and also make you look a bit silly when walking to the coffee shop for your skinny latte.

Nothing at all wrong with dual purpose pedals like the ops. There is not one best option that covers all the various types of cycling.
Old 10-23-14, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Glad someone said it. In my experience "everyone" bites it at least once. For that matter, I've fallen numerous times, and as recent as a year ago despite having ridden clipless for quite a while.

Jinkster, I have very similar pedals on one of my bikes for the very same reason of flexibility of shoe and ride type. Good luck - enjoy!
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
If you're out for a serious ride then clipless shoes and pedals make sense, especially if you are also Lycra clad, so that you look like a serious cyclist.

If you are riding a bike as part of another activity that includes a reasonable amount of walking then clipless shoes without recessed cleats are completely unnecessary, and also make you look a bit silly when walking to the coffee shop for your skinny latte.

Nothing at all wrong with dual purpose pedals like the ops. There is not one best option that covers all the various types of cycling.
Thanks Folks!...I'm pleased to find that at least a few can understand and relate to the value of "convenient versatility" I find in the selection of "Dual-Interface Pedals"...heck...I wasn't even aware they existed until I saw them and once I did?...my decision was instantaneous...why?...they fit my needs to a tee...then again?...I can also understand those more dedicated towards all out road racing pooh-poohing them as if that were me?...I'd probably think the same...but for now?...I feel like the shizzle just owning my first pair of $100 cleats! LOL!....as for now?...I'm just happy I'm back into cycling again and 7 weeks off the Marlboro Man....and I guess that's another "Reason Why" I appreciate having the option of platforms...as if I catch a jones to light up?...I can get a quick fix just jumping on with my nikes and doing a couple laps around the block to remind myself why the Marlboro Man has been evicted...where at times my somewhat lazy, diabetic old butt attitude might not be so appreciative of having to go through the "Put My Special Shoes On" ritual when the compulsion strikes...and then just leave the bike sit while I suffer through it...but not with these pedals!

Besides...I'm still pedaling hard to get my legs up to their first 1/4 century...and I think it was someone here that said it so well in that...

"The only man I'm racing is the guy in the mirror and he's riding the same bike I am!"

Thanks again and Ride Safe! Bill.

Last edited by Jinkster; 10-23-14 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-30-14, 08:42 PM
Green lights for all

Location: Ohio, Germany, Florida, West Virginia, and then Georgia now

Bikes: Fuji Team SL 20 spd, Nishiki, Mercian 12 spd. Alan 10 spd, Frejus, Bauer, Motobecane, Schwinn, JC Higgins 3 spd, Columbia coaster brake, Magna BMX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Flat Pedal Revolution Manifesto: How to Improve Your Riding With Flat Pedals | Mountain Bike Training Programs

I now use rubber Crocs on flat platform pedals with Power Grips. Used bike shoes and clips for about 54 years. After recently riding 186 miles on one day, I'll never bother with stiff bike shoes again except for a T.T. during Senior Games.
Old 12-01-14, 09:05 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I love the dual sided pedals. A set of Shimano 324s on my Crosstrail, and 530s on my Sirrus. I love the versatility, and the Shimanos are completely rebuildable.
Old 12-01-14, 09:18 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapido
I now use rubber Crocs on flat platform pedals with Power Grips.
Power Grips IMO are an excellent alternative to clips or clipless pedals. I used them for many years.

Not sure about the Crocs though...
Old 12-01-14, 09:22 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Shimano A530's or the Nashbar version on my road bikes and M324's on my mountain bike. I like to be able to ride in boots or clipped in as I see fit.

Last edited by bhchdh; 12-01-14 at 09:25 AM.