Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tire Interval Training Secret!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-19-14, 06:29 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I could make millions selling a DVD, but as payback for all the excellent advice on this sub-form I'm willing to share gratis. If anyone feels obligated to send a few bucks my way (I'm retired) PM me and we can work through Paypal.

I'll cut to the chase: the essence of the secret is ignoring maintenance combined with a total failure to read the directions. My trusty front tire has been flat free for a long, long time. Not only can't I remember the last time I added sealant, but I know with a certainty that I never shook the bottle upside-down. Apparently those little micro/nano particle suckers do settle out so when you add "sealant" without following directions you're actually adding something akin to white-colored water.

Emulate my dis-direction and take a longish ride with little or no CO2 and a spare tube you don't trust. Get a flat. Pump up with your road bike micro-pump and ride like the dickens until the tire goes flat. Rinse and repeat. I got a great workout today having to pump up every 4 miles or so on a 16 mile return leg.

My clue should have been a prior slow leak in my rear tire which resolved completely by reading these same directions: shake well upside-down. In my dotage I wasn't able to apply this new-found wisdom to the front tire. I paid the price today, but got in a great workout.
Old 10-19-14, 06:35 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Glad you got a good work-out but for me; just another reason not to go tubeless with my road bikes.

They seem to have all the details worked out for mountain bike tires but even after all these years, road bike tubeless aren't for (my) prime time.

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-20-14, 05:46 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Wait one here,

you mean we are supposed to read the instructions, before we use something, or assemble an item? Dang, RD, this is turning our man world upside down.....

And you are implying we are supposed to do maintenance ahead of when something breaks? Next thing is you'll tell us to check the tire pressure and look the bicycle over before riding oh the horror, the humanity of it all...Anarchy and communism are coming upon the cycling world

Bill (the twitchy one, not one of the other Bills here)

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-20-14, 07:13 AM
Louis Le Tour

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experience can be a tough way to learn.
Old 10-20-14, 07:33 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour View Post
Experience can be a tough way to learn.
Not so tough: I've develop a new technique for pumping up the front tire while astride the top tube. BTW, I do really like tubeless with no plans to change. I'll just pay a bit more attention (I do pump up the tires before every ride!). For Rick@OCCR: I don't ride a mountain bike, but I would imagine the sealant maintenance would be similar if ridden on the road; perhaps riding off road there aren't so many tiny, sharp objects which would require some sealant to be present (or MTB ties are simply thicker and tougher).