Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Traveling to Poteau, OK

Old 10-27-14, 03:29 PM
rhodesmk

Bikes: Jamis Explorer 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traveling to Poteau, OK

I am driving to Poteau, OK on October 28, returning November 1. While I've been biking three times a week for the past several months, I'm nowhere near expert and can't hardly pedal on anything but paved roads. My longest ride so far has been 8.6 miles, just last week.

I'd like to take my bike so I don't miss my exercise during the week, but all I seem to find with on-line searches are mountain bike trails.

Does anyone know of paved trails or parks in the area I can use? I can handle small rolling hills for a while, but at my age (60) and weight (305), the legs quit working very well if I do too many steep inclines. :-) (Yes, I know, steep is a matter of perspective).

My bike is a hybrid with the narrow tires and 21 gears.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-14, 08:28 AM
handtool7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just looked at Google maps. That is small town Oklahoma. I don't think you will find much as far as dedicated bike paths. It is in the Eastern part of the state which is the beginning of the Ozarks. There will be some hills some of which could get kind of steep, but they won't last very long. Looks like you will just be on city streets, which will probably be asphalt, maybe some unpaved, could even be some that are bricks still.

**edit. Just read your post again. Looks like you are already there.

Last edited by handtool7; 10-29-14 at 08:30 AM. Reason: update