Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

End of Season Gratitude

Old 10-29-14, 07:51 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
End of Season Gratitude

I have had a great summer cycling season. Rides with my grandson around town, hard breathing TT's and Strava fun, built a new Criterium bike, acquired my dream bike (Trek 760), no crashes, a whole lot of grins, laughs and sufferfests.

To top it all off....no flat tires. What a season.

And Today I will hang my two beauties on the wall and bolt the Centurion Elite in the trainer. ***SIGH***
Old 10-29-14, 08:57 AM
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Not doing Iceman Cometh next week? I'm there for it.
Old 10-29-14, 09:45 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Ah, gratitude.

I've come to regard gratitude as the greatest gift.

You can have a lot of good things. You can do a lot of good things. And you can be a lot of good things. But if you're not grateful for them, you might as well not have them at all. And if you're grateful for what you have, you have all you need.

Thanks for the post!
Old 10-29-14, 11:15 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
Not doing Iceman Cometh next week? I'm there for it.
Not this year.
Old 10-29-14, 05:05 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
I've been commuting for decades and every couple of winters the lowest temperature I'll ride in goes up (originally no limit, then 15F in the 1990s, now 23F) and I went from snow riding to dry roads only. But last winter out of frustration I rode to work on a 15F day with moderate snow on the side streets. I went 1/2 mile, slid fell suffering only a minor bruise and froze on the 10 minute walk back. I may try studs, but I'm still not sure about the temperature. Getting stuck in upper Michigan in the middle of winter could be deadly.
Old 10-29-14, 06:22 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Glad your season was a good one, Rev, thank you for the moral support this summer and the kind notes, too. You of course realize that now you have guaranteed yourself a trainer flat by posting the flat score for the year.

Bill
Old 10-29-14, 06:58 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
What is this "season" of which you speak?
Old 10-29-14, 06:59 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Gotcha, Rev, FTW Dawg, FTW!!!
Old 10-29-14, 07:00 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Glad your season was a good one, Rev, thank you for the moral support this summer and the kind notes, too. You of course realize that now you have guaranteed yourself a trainer flat by posting the flat score for the year.

Bill
You just watch. I had one last year with the trainer bike. When you forget to loosen the friction wheel you run that chance. "Hey honey, I forgot a spare tube, can you come get me?"
Old 10-29-14, 07:06 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Want a piece of this??

Old 10-29-14, 07:20 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Nope, why do you think we live in the southeast?

Bill
Old 10-29-14, 07:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Moderators: Please delete the post with the pictures of the white cold stuff!

Grateful the coming Cold Dark Months can't possibly be as nasty as last year's.
Grateful only one fall this season and that my stoker and I were only moderately beat up by it.
Old 10-29-14, 08:20 PM
gdhillard

Bikes: 2008 Scott SUB 30, 1981 Miyata Ridge Runner, Dahon Speed 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has been a great summer for me, too. Retired/fired in May, and then biking every day since. 30 pounds gone, back no longer sore, and 2200 miles logged. I hope to miss maybe five days of riding this winter, which I think will be possible in Roanoke, VA. Thanks for reminding me to stop and say thanks.
Old 10-30-14, 03:52 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Moderators: Please delete the post with the pictures of the white cold stuff!

Grateful the coming Cold Dark Months can't possibly be as nasty as last year's.
Grateful only one fall this season and that my stoker and I were only moderately beat up by it.
I've heard some of the weather folks talking El Nino effect. That will be a big relief after last year. The temp models showed a warm-up in the Pacific up near Canada and Alaska. That's a good sign.
Old 10-30-14, 03:55 AM
OldsCOOL

Nope, why do you think we live in the southeast?

Bill
We moved in town after last years rough winter (and we are used to a lot of snow and cold). I wouldnt mind never experiencing 200" of snow and subzero, again.
Old 10-30-14, 05:40 AM
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Excellent thread OldsCOOL. I have a lot to be thankful for. On July 24, 2013 I was lying on a State Road in Mansfield, CT with what turned out to be a broken neck. I won't bore you with the details. After 5 hr & 4 hr operations and 8 days in the hospital I came home on Aug. 1st. with C1 & C2 fused. Lots of pain and lots of worries about something going wrong and being paralyzed. By the second week in Nov. I was back on a local rail/trail and a week later I was on the road. Having lost 15 lbs as a result of the accident and surgeries I rode better than ever this season. Averaged about 100 mi. a week and was stronger and faster than I've been since I got back on the bike 10 yrs. ago.
Old 10-30-14, 05:45 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Ryp, I can't say as I blame you for moving in town, I'd take the El Nino talk with a grain of salt, though. Not supposed to be quite as cold, or as harsh, as last winter, but there are some serious cold air bubbles in the Arctic just waiting to come down. I'd need to see what the Siberian maps look like right now and what the jet stream patterns are supposed to do. I'd prefer not to have another ice storm down here where no driver has the skills necessary for that condition. I hibernated that day last winter. Riding the next day after things thawed a bit was interesting, still pretty cold, for here, and people were astonished to see me out pedaling and smiling under my balacclava

Bruce, please don't give any of that excitement again! Waiting for news each day was nerve racking, I'm just grateful that you have recovered so well and improved your fitness and cycling after that scare for you.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 10-30-14 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 07:04 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Excellent thread OldsCOOL. I have a lot to be thankful for. On July 24, 2013 I was lying on a State Road in Mansfield, CT with what turned out to be a broken neck. I won't bore you with the details. After 5 hr & 4 hr operations and 8 days in the hospital I came home on Aug. 1st. with C1 & C2 fused. Lots of pain and lots of worries about something going wrong and being paralyzed. By the second week in Nov. I was back on a local rail/trail and a week later I was on the road. Having lost 15 lbs as a result of the accident and surgeries I rode better than ever this season. Averaged about 100 mi. a week and was stronger and faster than I've been since I got back on the bike 10 yrs. ago.
Wow! That really is an inspiring situation.

On the subject of weight loss, I can feel surge in acceleration and hillclimbing endurance for every 5lbs lost. This winter I will lose 20-25lbs and see how that works.
Old 10-30-14, 07:10 AM
OldsCOOL

Ryp, I can't say as I blame you for moving in town, I'd take the El Nino talk with a grain of salt, though. Not supposed to be quite as cold, or as harsh, as last winter, but there are some serious cold air bubbles in the Arctic just waiting to come down. I'd need to see what the Siberian maps look like right now and what the jet stream patterns are supposed to do. I'd prefer not to have another ice storm down here where no driver has the skills necessary for that condition. I hibernated that day last winter. Riding the next day after things thawed a bit was interesting, still pretty cold, for here, and people were astonished to see me out pedaling and smiling under my balacclava

Bruce, please don't give any of that excitement again! Waiting for news each day was nerve racking, I'm just grateful that you have recovered so well and improved your fitness and cycling after that scare for you.

Bill
We are going to have our first snowfall tonight and tomorrow. Nothing serious, mostly wet snow and 1-3" possible. Just a reminder of what's coming. The biggest benefit of being back in town is getting off propane and my wife is near her work (legal assistant). Oh, and being in the center of our county's cycling activity. I do miss my treestand and hunting everyday.
Old 10-30-14, 10:55 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Last season is ancient history. I'm grateful for being around for the start of the next.
Old 10-31-14, 04:12 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
Last season is ancient history. I'm grateful for being around for the start of the next.
In the meantime, I spin and cut weight. It really was that good of a season (as I look at snowflakes this morning).

I just want to be faster next spring.
Old 10-31-14, 05:39 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

No outlook for any white stuff, other than all the loose cotton bolls where the harvest began this week, but all out low temps for the weekend were lowered last night. Watched the 5:00 PM news/weather and it was a low of low 60's to high 50's for our area, the 6:00 PM forecast had us headed onto the high 40's last night/this morning. It was 43F when I was driving in to work, an hour ago, and the NWS is forecasting a possible early (for here) frost away from the coastal margins. Bring it on, I put on some firewood last week and wouldn't mind having a fire in the fireplace, with some hot cocoa in the evenings.

I hope you don't get too much harsh stuff, Ryp, its going to be interesting to see how the winter shapes up this year. Riding in tights and a ls jersey felt comfortable this week, more so yesterday.

Enjoy your hunting season up there, I've seen some of the bucks taken in the UP, and in Ohio, you guys sure grow them big up there. I've flushed more quail and dove this year, while riding, than any year in the past I can remember. Too bad I lost my Llewylen Setter a few years back, the old 20 gauge SBS and my A5, Light 12 are looking mighty tempting. Not a good idea for a guy with Parkinson's, probably

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 10-31-14 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 06:18 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This spring I did a couple of century rides in the upper (southern) end of the Shenandoah Valley, and on the other side of the Blue Ridge Mts in Lynchburg. It reminded me of how beautiful this country is, and I started getting the bug about looking around for retirement locations. By June I had bought a house outside of Lexington, VA, and have been doing rides in the area all spring, summer, and fall. This has been the best experience of riding that I've had since I started riding again in 2004. Now if I could only actually retire and stay here all the time
Old 10-31-14, 06:02 PM
OldsCOOL

No outlook for any white stuff, other than all the lose cotton bolls where the harvest began this week, but all out low temps for the weekend were lowered last night. Watched the 5:00 PM news/weather and it was a low of low 60's to high 50's for our area, the 6:00 PM forecast had us headed onto the high 40's last night/this morning. It was 43F when I was driving in to work, an hour ago, and the NWS is forecasting a possible early (for here) frost away from the coastal margins. Bring it on, I put on some firewood last week and wouldn't mind having a fire in the fireplace, with some hot cocoa in the evenings.

I hope you don't get too much harsh stuff, Ryp, its going to be interesting to see how the winter shapes up this year. Riding in tights and a ls jersey felt comfortable this week, more so yesterday.

Enjoy your hunting season up there, I've seen some of the bucks taken in the UP, and in Ohio, you guys sure grow them big up there. I've flushed more quail and dove this year, while riding, than any year in the past I can remember. Too bad I lost my Llewylen Setter a few years back, the old 20 guage SBS and my A5, Light 12 are looking mighty tempting. Not a good idea for a guy with Parkinson's, probably

Bill
Less than an inch of snow but the winds are gusting above 50mph out of the north. There are reports of waves being 30' on the big lakes. All the freighters have been brought in to safe harbors. This is similar to the storm of '75 that took the 'Fitz to the bottom.

Have only gone out twice in this bow season but hope to fix that when ***** season starts. Sure wish you could get out after the birds, lots of relaxing fun there.
Old 10-31-14, 06:14 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
I spent most of my season working on the house to prepare it for a reverse mortgage appraisal. Well I got the appraisal I was hoping for and I'm grateful for that and the retirement so I can devote the next season to riding. My advance paid for some decent retirement transportation and some cycling parts for a winter build.

Kind of set back my riding this year but I'll have the winter to wrench and the spring to ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service