Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Rite of passage: I got run off the road today.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-30-14, 07:10 PM
Wheever 

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

Ugh. So, today, on my ride, I was in a right turn lane, and right after the light changed, as I was accelerating, next thing I knew there was a car next to me making a right turn and next thing after that I knew...the mother****er pushed me right off the road. And he ****ing kept driving.

I ended up hitting the curb and planting. My right brifter took the impact, mostly, but my head hit the pavement--thank god for helmets--and something, I think the pedal, hit me hard on the inside of my right knee.

When I got up, some little old lady said "did that guy hit you?" and I said yes, of course, and she said "I'm going to follow him and get his plate!" And sometime in there she saw a cop car and told him what was up.

Meanwhile, I stood up and assessed the damage. Not much. Scrapes down my left side, on my hip and pretty badly on my elbow--took me a while to realize that was from the car itself--a big bruise and scrape on the inside of my right knee, and a tiny road rash on my right elbow. My head apparently didn't hit very hard, as there's basically no mark on my helmet, though I felt it hit.

My bike had a twisted in right brifter, and bad scuffs down the outside of both hoods. And that's it. The brifter was an easy fix.

Cops arrived, apparently the perp was collared somewhere down the road. The EMTs, after asking me if I needed medical attention and carefully examining my helmet for damage, left. Leaving me standing in the cold saying "what the hell just happened?" And I'm still not sure.

All I knew was there was a car pushing against me, and then I was trying to get over the curb and planted.

Thank god I have cat-like reflexes, even at 53, and was wearing a helmet, else it could have been really bad.

And of course, I'm shaken. And my inane belief that I'll always see trouble coming and avoid it is dashed. But at least my bike is okay, right? Right.

One amusing thing: apparently I was hit in the Village of Larchmont and crashed in the town of Mamaroneck. There were many cops on scene from both jurisdictions.

Sigh. Just sharing, kids. Just sharing.
Old 10-30-14, 07:18 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow I'm glad you are ok.

Charlie
Old 10-30-14, 07:39 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 39,000Km on it, 11,000Km with a BionX assist on it

Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Not saying this is what anybody should do... But, I have managed to boot the rear panel of one truck that did that to me... Hopefully leaving a nice dent in it to remember me by...
Old 10-30-14, 07:43 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about the driver-induced crash and injuries to you and bike, but glad you are in good enough shape to report.
Old 10-30-14, 07:43 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: New Balance 880v7 Kicks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Wheever, glad you're OK. Keep us updated on what happens to the driver . . . .
Old 10-30-14, 08:18 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thank god for little old ladies!
Old 10-30-14, 08:38 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I were the Judge?...the H&R driver would be doing at least 6 Months...everyday of which would start out with him doing a supervised 20 miler during going too work rush hour traffic.
Old 10-30-14, 08:43 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Being able to post after a crash is a good thing. Tomorrow your body will hurt more than today. Good luck with any recourse you pursue.
Old 10-30-14, 08:49 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
I'm no pro at accident avoidance--in fact, I can fall down all by myself without the help of a car! But here in So Cal, I've decided it's better not to enter a right turn lane unless I plan to turn right. That's because I figure the cars all think my plan is to turn right. If my intention is to go straight, I blend into the slow lane on the left edge of the right turn lane. I have to check behind me before starting the blend, of course, so I don't merge into someone's fender.

It seems to be working so far...
Old 10-30-14, 08:50 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Merlin Ti

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Glad you're ok.
Hit and run.
You may want to get yourself checked out...sometimes injuries don't show for a few days.
The insurance company of the driver that hit you...and ran...is responsible for your losses of equipment...helmet...damaged clothing, gear, etc. up to and including your bike...
They should be responsible for replacement cost of the same or similar cost kit...not dollar downed because of age, etc.

Been there, done that and got the kit and tshirt...
Old 10-30-14, 09:06 PM
jwarner
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad you are OK.

Run seems to be the default with hit for a lot of drivers where bikes are the hitee. Glad they caught the looser.

I don't know if I'm the only one who notices these things, but as we transition into winter, drivers seem to generally be a lot more inattentive and more self-centered. Everyone be careful out there.
Old 10-30-14, 09:20 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
If I were the Judge?...the H&R driver would be doing at least 6 Months...everyday of which would start out with him doing a supervised 20 miler during going too work rush hour traffic.
in Mumbai! ... and make it 40.
Old 10-30-14, 09:22 PM
Wheever 

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! I appreciate it, and know you all--literally--have felt my pain at some point!

Originally Posted by raceboy View Post
I'm no pro at accident avoidance--in fact, I can fall down all by myself without the help of a car! But here in So Cal, I've decided it's better not to enter a right turn lane unless I plan to turn right.
Well, see, I was turning right, which was why I was in the turn lane. I'm with you on lane placement. The guy was just suddenly there. I have no idea where he came from, whether he overtook me, or jumped from the center lane to the turn lane...I dunno.

I'm sure I'll hurt more tomorrow, but when the ground jumped up to hit me it didn't even do it hard enough to swivel my handlebars, just the right brifter. I didn't even lose my glasses. The real damage is not from my impact with the ground, but from the scraping of the car down my left side, and of course where whatever part of the bike pegged me on the inside of my right knee. (Fortunately, even that's just a bruise on the quad. Missed all scary delicate knee bits.) I think I took all the force of the impact with the ground on my deltoid and elbow, and they don't hurt at all, but for a little dot of road rash smaller than a dime.

Anyway, thanks for all the wishes. I'll let you know what happens going forward with the perp!
Old 10-30-14, 10:00 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Pleased that you are alright--but for sure you want to change your helmet, the padding has been compromised and possibly some internal cracks as well. They are relatively inexpensive and play such a crucial role.
Hope the driver gets at the very least a ticket for unsafe lane change and hopefully for leaving the scene of an accident as well. Take pictures of your wounds before they fade--just in case down the line.
Wish you a quick recovery.
Old 10-30-14, 10:35 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
I too am glad you are ok. The other good thing is the fact they caught the H & R driver. Now lets hope the justice system acts in the proper manner.
Old 10-30-14, 10:41 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Your lucky. I have been also. I was right crossed in Florida a few years ago while on my folder, I was able to remain upright, but just barely.
Old 10-30-14, 11:28 PM
Nick94804

Location: A quiet place devoid of nazis telling me how I may express myself

Bikes: An ultra heavily moderated custom Merlin.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Wheever View Post
Ugh. So, today, on my ride, I was in a right turn lane, and right after the light changed, as I was accelerating, next thing I knew there was a car next to me making a right turn and next thing after that I knew...the mother****er pushed me right off the road. And he ****ing kept driving.

I ended up hitting the curb and planting. My right brifter took the impact, mostly, but my head hit the pavement--thank god for helmets--and something, I think the pedal, hit me hard on the inside of my right knee.

When I got up, some little old lady said "did that guy hit you?" and I said yes, of course, and she said "I'm going to follow him and get his plate!" And sometime in there she saw a cop car and told him what was up.

Meanwhile, I stood up and assessed the damage. Not much. Scrapes down my left side, on my hip and pretty badly on my elbow--took me a while to realize that was from the car itself--a big bruise and scrape on the inside of my right knee, and a tiny road rash on my right elbow. My head apparently didn't hit very hard, as there's basically no mark on my helmet, though I felt it hit.

My bike had a twisted in right brifter, and bad scuffs down the outside of both hoods. And that's it. The brifter was an easy fix.

Cops arrived, apparently the perp was collared somewhere down the road. The EMTs, after asking me if I needed medical attention and carefully examining my helmet for damage, left. Leaving me standing in the cold saying "what the hell just happened?" And I'm still not sure.

All I knew was there was a car pushing against me, and then I was trying to get over the curb and planted.

Thank god I have cat-like reflexes, even at 53, and was wearing a helmet, else it could have been really bad.

And of course, I'm shaken. And my inane belief that I'll always see trouble coming and avoid it is dashed. But at least my bike is okay, right? Right.

One amusing thing: apparently I was hit in the Village of Larchmont and crashed in the town of Mamaroneck. There were many cops on scene from both jurisdictions.

Sigh. Just sharing, kids. Just sharing.
I got a right hook from an idiot two weeks ago on the way to Big Sur. He basically drove over me driving into a scenic overlook. I went down softly, bike and I ok...then I got up, reached through the window grabbed the guys keys, and chucked them over the cliff. Everyone riding that day was much safer.
Old 10-31-14, 12:17 AM
mox

Glad you're ok. Find out where he lives and Brake fluid on car paintwork? - PistonHeads
Old 10-31-14, 04:15 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
It's a war out there. We shall prevail.

Glad you are ok.
Old 10-31-14, 04:27 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
....It's a war out there......
Just a little lopsided when it is 3,000lbs+/- against 200lbs+/-.
Old 10-31-14, 04:53 AM
EvilWeasel

Bikes: Trekalized 7.Sequoia Elite+

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
That's why we should all be allowed to ride with an RPG or two strapped to our handlebars.
Old 10-31-14, 05:30 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by EvilWeasel View Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
That's why we should all be allowed to ride with an RPG or two strapped to our handlebars.

[hr][/hr]

Check with the police to find out the driver's information. You should make a claim against him(his insurance) for at least the helmet.
Old 10-31-14, 06:16 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Glad you are OK. Keep us posted on what comes of this. Frequently the riders gets the blame since they are hauled off to the ER and the driver gets to tell the tale. In this case it sounds like there is little question that you were in the right location, a witness alerted the police, and the driver left the scene. They may end up giving the benefit of the doubt to a driver who claims they never realized they hit a bike but at least they probably won't add insult to injury by ticketing you in your hospital room.
Old 10-31-14, 07:29 AM
02Giant 
Home School Valedictorian

Bikes: 13 Orbea Orca 02 Giant Cypress 88 Mongoose ATB

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
On the freeway...
Old 10-31-14, 07:37 AM
ursle
Rolling along

Check the police report immediately, if not sooner, the perp may have been a friend and have gotten his "facts" in the way, if he did proceed with all speed to a lawyer

Love the comment about throwing the keys over the cliff
Hate the comment about administering brake fluid on the perps car

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service