Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks/Leather saddles?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Brooks/Leather saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 06:53 PM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Brooks/Leather saddles?

Have a couple of guys I ride with regularly that swear by Brooks saddles. One said that once it's breaks in you'll love it forever. The other guy said he bought a Brooks and it felt better than any other saddle he used since day one. Checked with my LBS and they recommend the B17, but there is a Selle there that is basically a leather version of the Specialized seat I have, with the cutout in the middle area. Both are a little over $100, so not bad. Weight is just a little more than the plastic saddles most bikes come with today. I ride distance for fun, so no racing yet, but may try some Masters Cat 5/4 stuff in the future, but I don't plan on being a champ or anything (I'm 58 and just had a major heart attack with bypass surgery, so I'm realistic).

Just curious what you folks think about the leather/Brooks saddles and if it's worth it to get one? Sounds like they are really comfortable once they form to your body. My current saddle is the most comfortable one I found, but it's by no means perfect, and the more miles I put on, the more it hurts, so just trying to figure out if I should try a leather saddle or stick with what I have.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-04-14, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give it a try, you'll either like it or not. I loved B-17 till LBS talked me into trying Sella SMP
+ and then I gave up the Brooks forever for a goofy looking drop snoot saddle with a perineum cut out. And I won't be going back.

P.S. You will never know until you give it a try. It's your ass, not mine. Same for any saddle. Asses come in many shapes and sizes, so do saddles.
Old 08-04-14, 08:37 PM

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most riders either love'em or hate'em -- they can be very comfortable, but need a little more care than other saddles. They also require a break-in period for the leather to conform to you body.
Old 08-04-14, 08:40 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't ride anything else. B17, was comfy right out of the box. Wall Bike will let you try one for 6 mos-Saddles - Brooks, Berthoud | wallbike.com | wallbike.com
y wife could not stand one. She rides a Lady Avant Selle SMP.
Old 08-04-14, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8274 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Hate 'em. Hard, deadly ass hatchets, they are. I prefer the Selle Italia with a cut-out. or a San Marco, or even a Fizik.
Old 08-04-14, 09:01 PM

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
You may want to look at the Brooks Cambium as well. I have a couple B17's and two Cambium's. Love them all.
Old 08-04-14, 09:11 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T-2000 & SP-1000 (Silk Path hybrid)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a B-17 that I wanted to dynamite. It never did break in, but me and my butt kept trying, something like 1.5K miles. I was almost thankful that whoever stole that bike took (pretty sure it was the local crack head, who if not in prison now will soon be back) the Brooks with it. I have the Selle Anatomica now. If you're interested, do a Google image search for it. In the wild, they can be pretty droopy and saggy. I'm still out on whether or not I love it, but I have the model without the keyhole cutout. I think it's not through stretching, so it's too early to tell if we'll have a love affair or a messy divorce.
Old 08-04-14, 09:20 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I've never ridden with a strong rider who used one. They are pretty.
Old 08-04-14, 10:02 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Some people like them. some people didn't after trying one.

Standard Imperial.................Narrow

I like my Brooks Imperial better than my previous favorite which was a Selle Italia Turbo. I haven't tried any of the other newer saddles. Btw, I bought the standard before I knew they made a narrow (And I am relatively narrow) and I like it just fine for taking pressure off my perineum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imperial-oren.jpg (75.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Zinger; 08-04-14 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-04-14, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I ride a Brooks Flyer, which basically the B17 top with heavy duty springs. Its hard but that's the same reason people feel more comfortable on a hard mattress than on a soft one. There is no give to create discomfort for soft tissue that shouldn't sink into anything - and it gradually conforms to the shape of your butt. That is the only real advantage a good leather saddle has over plastic or gel.

Of course, they're not for every one. YMMV in using a leather saddle to ride on with your bike.
Old 08-04-14, 10:49 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4382 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
I've never ridden with a strong rider who used one. They are pretty.
Depends what you mean by strong. The hammerheads I know don't use 'em, but a lot of the randonneurs swear by them. I think for serious distance riders, the Brooks has some advantages.

I ride on Fizik Alliantes and I have no problems up to maybe 70-80 miles, but on the rare occasions when I ride further, I'm a little uncomfortable in the saddle and wondering if maybe there isn't something out there that's better.
Old 08-04-14, 11:17 PM
Lance Legweak

Here's a photo of the Selle I am looking at. Nice shape and cutout, but no rails under the seat for support, just leather and some plastic support inserts. You can adjust a bolt to tighten up the leather, but don't know how well that will work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Selle.jpg (5.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 08-04-14, 11:50 PM

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You gotta break in your butt as well as any saddle you may choose. Stayed away from the slung leather saddles in the '70s because of bad experiences (sore butt). In the '80s (in my 30s) I liked SanMarcos, Turbos, Royales and even WTB SST and later V types. Then got a B17 in the late '90s and toughed out the break in period and now have them on several bikes. I ride for enjoyment and fitness these days. Not particularly fast or for long periods of time and generally not dressed out in lycra/stiff shoes.
Old 08-04-14, 11:53 PM
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by ofgit
You gotta break in your butt as well as any saddle you may choose. Stayed away from the slung leather saddles in the '70s because of bad experiences (sore butt). In the '80s (in my 30s) I liked SanMarcos, Turbos, Royales and even WTB SST and later V types. Then got a B17 in the late '90s and toughed out the break in period and now have them on several bikes. I ride for enjoyment and fitness these days. Not particularly fast or for long periods of time and generally not dressed out in lycra/stiff shoes.
Butt was broke in. Rode for 9 1/2 months doing 150-200 miles a week. Had a heart attack and bypass surgery in April and am now getting back to riding. Lost a bunch of weight so now my butt hurts again on some days and depending on the shorts I'm wearing, so thinking about the saddle as the possible problem. I'm lighter now than I was, so the saddle should feel better, not worse!
Old 08-05-14, 12:09 AM

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro 10 Chorus, Gios single speed, Pedal Force RS2 10 chorus, CAAD5 10 Centaur, Diamondback dirt bike, Fuji Fixed Gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Team Pro that is a good saddle. I had another team pro I could not get used to - sold it. I like my other saddles just as much - sell italia and specialized toupe
Old 08-05-14, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
When I bought my Brooks B67, I got it for durability. I was sick of replacing the saddle every few years. Surprisingly, it turned out to be very comfortable. You can get them already broken in and dispense with all that stuff with funny oil.
Old 08-05-14, 06:24 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
My B17 is OK but doesn't seem significantly better than other saddles. I have never found a saddle that is completely comfortable. Maybe I just have a sensitive butt.
Old 08-05-14, 06:29 AM
mud
Lurker

Bikes: 07 Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
B17 for the last seven years...
Old 08-05-14, 06:36 AM

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm still using a B-15 that I got as a 14 year old in 1971. I've also got 2 B-17's and 2 Flyers. Love 'em all. I tried a Brooks Professional for a few hundred miles and it didn't work for me.
Old 08-05-14, 07:01 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
You don't read very many Brooks saddle threads with so many balanced responses.
Old 08-05-14, 07:10 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
It's your ass, not mine.
Originally Posted by big john
Hard, deadly ass hatchets, they are.
Originally Posted by Dirt Road
... too early to tell if we'll have a love affair or a messy divorce.
Some quotable quotes up there.

Never tried a Brooks. I've used the Terry Fly for years and it works for me.

Last edited by Biker395; 08-05-14 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-05-14, 07:13 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My all leather Selle Anatomica saddles are very comfy.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-05-14, 07:15 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I have my B17 for 2 years now and really like it. It is still very hard, but I can ride it for hours with no discomfort, and my butt feels fine the next day. I bought a Cambium this year with the thought of moving the B17 to my backup bike, but I found that while it is initially comfortable, after an hour to an hour and a half, I my butt starts to hurt. Bike shop offered to work with me to dial in the fit, but I just went back to the B17. My son is now using the Cambium and seems to like it.
Old 08-05-14, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Depends what you mean by strong. The hammerheads I know don't use 'em, but a lot of the randonneurs swear by them. I think for serious distance riders, the Brooks has some advantages.

I ride on Fizik Alliantes and I have no problems up to maybe 70-80 miles, but on the rare occasions when I ride further, I'm a little uncomfortable in the saddle and wondering if maybe there isn't something out there that's better.
The OP is asking about equipment helpful in Cat 4-5 racing. The Alliante is a singe position saddle, like most Brooks. I ride the Fizik Arione, which is a multi position saddle. A helpful article shows the difference PezCycling News - What's Cool In Pro Cycling : Fizik Saddles: Road Shapes & A New Kurve

The new Kurve, presented in the article, may be a good choice for many people. It is designed to allow a little or a lot of flex.
Old 08-05-14, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
best saddle / most comfortable I ever tried in my life right out of the box. dunno if that helps ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.