Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A really comfortable road bike saddle?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-06-14, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there such a thing as a really comfortable road bike saddle for us senior cyclists or is that just an oxymoron?
Tsapp
Old 11-06-14, 03:27 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Well I thought I had an answer....until I was overcome by a strong scent of spam. LOL
Old 11-06-14, 05:27 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts
Sure there is but that does not mean there is one that you will find comfortable.
Old 11-06-14, 05:30 PM
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Call around local bike shops and ask if they can measure our sit bones and hook you up with the right saddle.
Old 11-06-14, 06:41 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The fit for a comfortable road bike saddle is uniquely personal. You know, if I sit on my more than comfortable sofa for any length of time, my butt doesn't like it. So why should a thin road bike saddle work miracles? The best for me so far is the Selle SMP saddle. YMMV.
Old 11-06-14, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sure. I have two different saddles that I find comfortable. I ride a Brooks on my heavy bikes. I don't even notice the saddle. I ride a Terry Butterfly on my go fast bike and mountain bike. Don't notice that saddle either.
Old 11-06-14, 07:36 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have been through a number of saddles. So far my latest, Prologo Scratch Pro, has been the best for short and long rides.

Whatever you get make sure you get the right width - and that depends on the distance between your sit bones and on the shape of the saddle (round, flat, etc.)
Old 11-06-14, 07:47 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You joined BFN in 2008. I hope you haven't been suffering for 6 years!! If so, my condolences, and mine feels just fine, but for some it is very difficult to find comfort.

Good luck
Old 11-06-14, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by tsappenfield
Is there such a thing as a really comfortable road bike saddle for us senior cyclists or is that just an oxymoron?
Tsapp
Yes; no.
What does being a 'senior' (I'm 63) have to do with it? Nothing, I'd say.
Old 11-06-14, 08:03 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
There are two elements of a comfortable saddle:
one that fits your butt and has the right amount of padding for your use
and
one that gets enough use that your butt gets conditioned to it.

My saddle disappears, but I have about a bushel of saddles that didn't, not including probably 25 that I sent back after trying them. I'll mount a trial saddle and give it 1/2 hour on my rollers. If it passes that test, I'll try to ride a century or close to it on it. If it passes that test, I'll give it a try and see how my butt feels about it over time. For sure it's impossible to tell if a saddle might be suitable until after the 3rd hour. If it's not comfortable then, try another one. That's assuming that you already ride enough to have a cyclist's butt.
Old 11-06-14, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by badger1
Yes; no.
What does being a 'senior' (I'm 63) have to do with it? Nothing, I'd say.
Ditto (I am 60). Just remember, more padding does not equal comfort, especially for longer rides. You need very little padding with a proper saddles that supports your sit bones.
Old 11-06-14, 09:02 PM

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
I don't think that padding per se is necessary for a saddle to be comfortable. I have Selle Anatomica leather saddles on both my road and commuter bikes, and after a short break-in period for both, haven't needed to bother with padded shorts for rides shorter than 15 or 20 miles. If anything, a poorly padded saddle adds more pressure to the sensitive parts.
Old 11-06-14, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I don't think that padding per se is necessary for a saddle to be comfortable. I have Selle Anatomica leather saddles on both my road and commuter bikes, and after a short break-in period for both, haven't needed to bother with padded shorts for rides shorter than 15 or 20 miles. If anything, a poorly padded saddle adds more pressure to the sensitive parts.
Well, I think it depends on the saddle. Certainly you don't want very much padding for long rises. I expect that can be made up for a bit by the how much give on something like the Selle Anatomica. I prefer a solid platform with a little bit firm padding.

Too much padding not only adds pressure to sensitive parts, it can also rub everywhere it shouldn't causing chaffing and sores. Saddles with a lot of padding also usually don't provide adequate support for the sit bones, which is most important thing for comfortable long rides. Even if they do, the excess padding does nothing but rub the wrong way,
Old 11-06-14, 09:47 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
....... assuming that you already ride enough to have a cyclist's butt.
+1 That does make a difference!

After a sit bones measurement and some trial and error I'd found a saddle I really liked. But I bought a 2nd bike and the saddle had been discontinued. I took the saddle with me to make the rounds at LBS to find a similar replacement. I tried two. One seemed even more comfortable than what I had been using. And the next one.... was/is a pleasure to sit on. I mean it... it's more comfortable than anything else I sit on.

The other day I noticed my saddle disappeared from the LBS... so I checked and I couldn't find it on line ether. After some searching around... I did find it. So now I have a brand new spare saddle. If you have a saddle you're really fond of... IMHO a spare is a good idea.

BTW the 2nd place saddle... is on my rain bike.
Old 11-06-14, 10:05 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Surly Disc Trucker, Santa Cruz Blur

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, it's the Brooks B17. Tip the nose up slightly, and it's comfortable out of the box, and just gets better.
Old 11-07-14, 06:41 AM

Bikes: 2008 Seven Axiom Steel, 1984 Colnago Nuovo Mexico, 2008 Cervelo P2C, 2000 Trek Multitrack 7200

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a new Brooks B-17 (narrow) a year ago and gave up on it after 150 miles or so. It actually created a blister in my right "taint" area. I used lots of the Brooks conditioner during the break-in period. Maybe I'll give it another try before searching for a new saddle. My current road bike saddle is a Selle San Marco, probably not their best saddle. I've found that after 30 miles, it gets real uncomfortable.
Tsapp
Old 11-07-14, 07:06 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Brooks Cambium.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 11-07-14, 07:15 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've been thru several saddles in the past 14+ years. My latest saddle is a Selle Anatomica. Not like any other saddle I've had in the past. Got one on both of my bikes. Give it a try.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-07-14, 07:32 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
An aside to the conversation........ I currently ride regular Brooks B=17 and love them. Getting ready to try a Selle. What is the consensus for model? X or NSX on a Sirrus?
Old 11-07-14, 01:03 PM

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prologo scratch pro 143 on my fast bike and Selle Anatomica on my all around/tourer. Took 5 tries for my fast bike. Used the Scratch pro for a 4 day ride down the Oregon coast this past summer, 80-100m per day, no chafing or other problems. I do concur on getting your butt conditioned. For me it took close to 4000m in the past two years to feel like I had adequate toosh conditioning.
Old 11-07-14, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Latif
Prologo scratch pro 143 on my fast bike and Selle Anatomica on my all around/tourer. Took 5 tries for my fast bike. Used the Scratch pro for a 4 day ride down the Oregon coast this past summer, 80-100m per day, no chafing or other problems. I do concur on getting your butt conditioned. For me it took close to 4000m in the past two years to feel like I had adequate toosh conditioning.
I have the 143 as well. The saddle I had prior to this did not support my sit bones as well, but my butt adapted to it OK. Took me several rides on the scratch pro for my sit bones to get reconditioned - I could feel them on the saddle those first few rides - which was a good thing!
Old 11-09-14, 11:15 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Take out a loan and start buyin' and tryin'. Endless saddle configurations, endless butt configurations, bicycle fit, shorts, etc. all enter into the mix.
Old 11-09-14, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Most of us are able to find comfortable saddles. It's not always easy, though, and there is no such thing as a saddle that works for everyone. It also is true that you have to toughen up your hindquarters, regardless of your saddle selection.

Unfortunately, saddles are such a personal item that you can only find out what works for you by trying them yourself. Wallingford bicycles has an extremely good return policy and a fairly complete selection of saddles, Brooks in particular. They may be your best bet for saddle happiness and I recommend giving them a call.
Old 11-10-14, 08:13 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by tsappenfield
Tsapp
What exactly is bothering you?

J.
Old 11-10-14, 08:15 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
Well I thought I had an answer....until I was overcome by a strong scent of spam. LOL
SPAM like Hormel Foods? That's the scent of SPAM on the frying pan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.