Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Well this sucks . . .

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Well this sucks . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well this sucks . . .

Just had my second heart attack in a year. Great care by my doctors and medical staff resulted in an excellent outcome once again with virtually no damage. I now have stents in 2 of the 3 major coronary arteries and prognosis is good.

I've got a huge family history of early heart attacks in men on both sides of the family and my physicians have said that, even if I can't escape the family curse, cycling may be a big factor in how well I have come through both attacks. My cardiologist and my local physician have both been big supporters of my cycling and want me to continue as soon as possible during my recovery. I'll be doing everything I can to maintain or improve my cardiovascular health, but, even with the deck stacked against me, it's nice to know that cycling is an ace up my sleeve.

Old 11-09-14, 02:49 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
Just had my second heart attack in a year. Great care by my doctors and medical staff resulted in an excellent outcome once again with virtually no damage. I now have stents in 2 of the 3 major coronary arteries and prognosis is good.

I've got a huge family history of early heart attacks in men on both sides of the family and my physicians have said that, even if I can't escape the family curse, cycling may be a big factor in how well I have come through both attacks. My cardiologist and my local physician have both been big supporters of my cycling and want me to continue as soon as possible during my recovery. I'll be doing everything I can to maintain or improve my cardiovascular health, but, even with the deck stacked against me, it's nice to know that cycling is an ace up my sleeve.

Well then?...I feel you have grossly miss-titled your thread here.....and along with your physicians?...you have God and Baron Karl von Drais to thank for your apparent extended stay here on earth...

"Baron Karl von Drais, a civil servant to the Grand Duke of Baden in Germany. Drais invented his Laufmaschine (German for "running machine") of 1817 that was called Draisine (English) or draisienne (French) by the press."

and congratulations for all the extraordinary physical effort you've put forth in your journey to remain with us.

I wish you gobs of inner peace....and prayers for your speedy recovery and miles of smiles.
Old 11-09-14, 03:06 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best of luck to you on your recovery.
I have a family history of heart disease as well. I had a heart scan CT done last week and got the results mailed to me on Saturday.
My numbers were very bad and I expect to have to go see a cardiologist but will wait to hear from my Dr.
Time will tell with me.
Old 11-09-14, 04:33 PM

Bikes: 2013 Madone 6.2, 2014 Speed Concept 7.5, 1973 Scwinn Paramount, Trek 7.6 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN

Don't know if you saw my intro post, but I mentioned that my heart stopped during a USTA tennis match 5 1/2 years ago but that I was lucky enough that the other team included a cardiologist who provided very effective cpr for a long time 'til the rescue squad arrived to defib me. That was followed by an emergent x6 bypass that included two failed grafts. What has enabled me to recover so as to qualify for the National Senior Games (cycling) and compete in multi sport events is the plant based diet prescribed by Cleveland Clinic doc, Caldwell Esselstyn. When I discovered his book and program, it allowed me to feel that I was back in control of my fate. There is no other proven way to reverse heart disease. If one continues eating the standard American diet, the disease will progress -why wouldn't it? Yes, the bike will help you -exercise promotes the development of collaterals- but it won't arrest and reverse the process. I can tell you more if you want. I find that most people don't want to hear it, and I understand that, but it makes me sad.
Old 11-09-14, 04:45 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
It doesn't "suck" there was no damage. If there would have been, you might not even be riding. So good to hear there was none for you.

I was even more fortunate in that I failed a stress test this year before I even had an attack. I have genetic hi cholesterol and hypertriglyceridemia. I had 6 stents put in June this year. I am very fortunate (I have dodged the bullet on cancer ad other potential long term conditions). So I am happy about that.

What sucks for me though, is the medication I am on has severely hurt my performance. But hey, I am still commuting 30 mi RT (over 1500 mi in spite this year)and am not dead
Old 11-09-14, 05:10 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I had 4 stents implanted last winter....... Like you, my doctors and therapists credit my bicycling with tremendous benefits toward recovery. I was released from cardiac rehab without restriction, and they were constantly telling me to slow down on the Airdyne........LOL

Also, seems to be par for the course. I also have a family history of heart disease, and have outlived more than have survived. Also, my outcome was like yours, no damage, even though any of the 4 blockages should have caused a heart attack, said they.

The moral of the story is that it doesn't suck........................ LOL

Good luck in your recovery ----- and what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger............... Prayers on the side.
Old 11-09-14, 05:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, I should have titled it differently. What I meant sucks is that this is my second one in a year. I wish I could change the title as you are absolutely right.

I'm very grateful that everything turned out well and major kudos to my surgeon, physicians and medical staff. They were all great.
Old 11-09-14, 05:29 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madoneboy
Don't know if you saw my intro post, but I mentioned that my heart stopped during a USTA tennis match 5 1/2 years ago but that I was lucky enough that the other team included a cardiologist who provided very effective cpr for a long time 'til the rescue squad arrived to defib me. That was followed by an emergent x6 bypass that included two failed grafts. What has enabled me to recover so as to qualify for the National Senior Games (cycling) and compete in multi sport events is the plant based diet prescribed by Cleveland Clinic doc, Caldwell Esselstyn. When I discovered his book and program, it allowed me to feel that I was back in control of my fate. There is no other proven way to reverse heart disease. If one continues eating the standard American diet, the disease will progress -why wouldn't it? Yes, the bike will help you -exercise promotes the development of collaterals- but it won't arrest and reverse the process. I can tell you more if you want. I find that most people don't want to hear it, and I understand that, but it makes me sad.
Certainly, I'd like to hear more. Thank you.
Old 11-09-14, 05:36 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Wow; a thread like this puts things in perspective. Hope you are doing well. Heck I am planning on getting in some rides with you one of these days in some rural roads in MN,
Old 11-09-14, 05:48 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Glad you are recovering well, two in a year would make me angry, too. Hopefully your cycling will see you through the latest attack and help out with the stents effectiveness. Please keep us updated on how your recovery progresses, if you would.

Madoneboy, I'd like to know more, as GravelNM and 1loosemoose have asked, please let us in on what this entails, if you would.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 11-09-14 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Ask him to give us the scoop on what he is doing.
Old 11-09-14, 05:53 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had no idea that this could be reversed. I really want to know the details please.
Old 11-09-14, 06:47 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone4.5, Fuji Newest, DaVinci Joint Venture, Pacific Dually, Kuota K Factor Thruster

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry about your heart attack and very happy about the no damage and support from your doctor. We are all trying to ride as long as we can with what we've been given. Keep riding.
Old 11-09-14, 07:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Give the man a break. Yes, it sucks. But I'm happy to see that it doesn't suck as bad as it could have, at least partly due to bicycling.

Way to overcome a sucky situation!
Old 11-09-14, 07:51 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I wish there were a way for us to have a look at our arteries before this happens. My GP and cardiologist say that, since heart attacks are still relatively rare because usually something else gets us first, heart attacks are the diagnostic tool of choice of the medical profession. If one wants to check it out by paying for it themselves instead of waiting for the "diagnosis", it's super expensive.

I suppose it's also possible that the medical profession simply does not believe that the Esselstyn results are real and therefore it would be a waste to have a look since there's nothing to be done.
Old 11-09-14, 08:02 PM

Bikes: 2013 Madone 6.2, 2014 Speed Concept 7.5, 1973 Scwinn Paramount, Trek 7.6 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dr. Esselstyn is a Cleveland Clinic doc who was one of the world's leading breast cancer surgeons. He became frustrated with merely treating disease instead of preventing it. About the same time Dean Ornish was reporting success in reversing heart disease with a plant based diet, he initiated a program at the Cleveland Clinic where he enlisted participants who were pretty much end stage cardiac disease. Those who stayed compliant with his program had close to zero cardiac events over a considerable period. He has repeated this success many times. I have provided myself as an example. Right after my "event" (sudden cardiac death), my younger brother had a nuclear stress test. It showed substantial ischemia in a region of his heart. He immediately undertook a plant based diet and four years later was tested again -his nuclear stress test was normal. His doc merely said, whatever you are doing, keep doing it. Dr. Esselstyn won an Olympic medal when he was in his twenties for rowing, and his son, Rip, was a professional triathlete before enlisting with the Austin Fire Dept. He started a plant-based program for at risk fire fighters in Austin that led to the Engine 2 diet books.
Here is Dr. Esselstyn's website:Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease Program | Make yourself heart attack proof

Last edited by madoneboy; 11-09-14 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-09-14, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1loosemoose
I had no idea that this could be reversed. I really want to know the details please.
The web is almost literally awash with information on cardiac health. There are a variety of diets, exercise, etc. on the subject. But, all have one thing in common: Each Individual Must Take Responsibility For Their Own Health.

No matter what response you get to your question if you really, really care you will spend some hours on research finding out what suits your situation best. Lots and lots of info out there. Some of it is snake oil. Some of it is only applicable to a certain population. Up to you to discern and put into practice.
Old 11-09-14, 08:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
The web is almost literally awash with information on cardiac health. There are a variety of diets, exercise, etc. on the subject. But, all have one thing in common: Each Individual Must Take Responsibility For Their Own Health.

No matter what response you get to your question if you really, really care you will spend some hours on research finding out what suits your situation best. Lots and lots of info out there. Some of it is snake oil. Some of it is only applicable to a certain population. Up to you to discern and put into practice.
What are your suggestions?

Last edited by madoneboy; 11-09-14 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-09-14, 08:30 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I can imagine that two attacks within a year would tend to curb your enthusiasm. But hey - modern cardiac medicine coupled with revision of your diet may keep you ticking for a lot longer. Keep spinning and best of luck.
Old 11-09-14, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is your impication that Ornish and Esselstyn are snake oil??
Didn't state any implication of anything or anybody. Merely stated the fact that a person must be discerning and must look for the fakery when it comes to diets and cardiac health. There is lots of money at stake. When that is the case, especially in diet, it definitely is buyer beware.
Old 11-09-14, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
@GravelMN - Sorry to hear about your second heart attack. I know from experience how traumatic they can be. Glad you're still with us. Just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery, both mental and physical.

Jan
[h=1][/h]
Old 11-10-14, 08:57 AM

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could suck worse my uncle had no known health issue and had a heart attack this weekend that ended it for him instantly. Count your blessings that you are still with us.
Old 11-10-14, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn't state any implication of anything or anybody. Merely stated the fact that a person must be discerning and must look for the fakery when it comes to diets and cardiac health. There is lots of money at stake. When that is the case, especially in diet, it definitely is buyer beware.
Hawkow , you are right about many diet out there to choose from . There is no one perfect diet for everyone . What works for me might not work for you . I believe the most important thing to remember on any diet is to stay away from red meat , genetic modified wheat .
Old 11-10-14, 10:12 AM

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I am sorry to read about your heart attack. I wish you a full recovery.
Old 11-10-14, 01:40 PM

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dr. Esselstyn is a Cleveland Clinic doc who was one of the world's leading breast cancer surgeons. He became frustrated with merely treating disease instead of preventing it.
Why would we want to prevent or cure a disease when there is so much money to be made in treating it?

I have Dr. Esselstyn's book, which looked promising, but unpleasant. I love bad food too much. But I'm keeping the book handy just in case...

Individually, I've found that many doctors are open to new ideas, but once you get them together on a board or within an institution they become a different animal. Groupthink, Institutions, and all these specialists are killing us. If we could just get back to the days of independent community/family doctors who made house calls, I think we'd be a lot better off.