Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm curious....How many here haven't succombed to electronic gizmo's?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-14, 06:52 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts

I'm referring to cycle computers, gps, power meters etc

I keep thinking about climbing out of the dark ages of cycling and getting a wireless computer, but that's only to track my mileage. I'm not sure my speed, cadence, etc. are important numbers to pay attention to.

Sometimes I just feel like I'll become a slave to the numbers if I go electronic.
Old 11-09-14, 06:58 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Maybe you should start out with a wired computer. Not the least bit curious to know how fast you are going?
Old 11-09-14, 06:59 PM
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I use mine to basically track miles. Couls care less of my speed or cadence.
Old 11-09-14, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
It beats tick marks on papyrus.
Go get a cheap one a wally-world, if you like having it you can get a better one. If you don't no big loss.
Old 11-09-14, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm on board with some of the gadgets. I cycled hard around 25 to 28 years ago, as I was playing a lot of hockey. So cycling was another regimen I used to stay in shape...outside of the gym. I had a Cateye Vectra. Now, that I'm reintroduced to road bike cycling, I want something that I can track more details of my riding. As far as GPS, that's something I really don't need. I want to keep things simple.

Last edited by Phildog; 11-09-14 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-09-14, 08:22 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Have used a wired (or cable driven) cyclometer for some time, just to keep track of distance. Late in the summer, I had tree bikes with non-functioning cyclometers. Family got for my birthday the most basic GPS unit to track my distance, have to confess - I like it. Just move it among my bikes.
Old 11-09-14, 08:54 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3589 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I had a bike computer a decade or so ago. I found it distracting. When the battery died, I didn't bother replacing it. I haven't tracked numbers since then.
Old 11-09-14, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I don't need something to measure my speed since I can read the mile posts and can tell time. I don't need anything to measure my cadence since I can count and tell time. (Actually, I can my cadence to within two or three RPM and my speed to within one mph without counting or looking at a watch, as one would expect after as many miles as I have ridden.)

However, I do use a couple of modern toys. I generally ride with a Spot on the bike so friends and family know where I'm at. I'd hate to have folks waste half a day looking for the body when I could have narrowed down the search. I also occasionally bring a tablet with GPS ability out on a ride along the logging roads in the coast range. It's sometimes difficult to tell which ones connect, even with a map, so it's nice to create a more accurate map of my own by riding them with the GPS keeping track of where I've been.

Now my wife is thinking about adding heart rate monitors to the tandem so we can have an alternate way of keeping track of our efforts. By the time we do that, we'll probably need pace makers too.
Old 11-09-14, 10:14 PM
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I just use a simple one for distance, and times. The rest I don't care about. Average speeds are fun and sometimes motivating but not the main need.
Old 11-09-14, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
... Sometimes I just feel like I'll become a slave to the numbers if I go electronic.
Hi Wileyrat,

It's a good thing you came here first before doing anything foolish. It sounds like this would be a very bad move for you. There's nothing worse than a runaway numbers addiction while cycling. You could go into a digital coma. Don't do it!!!

;-D RoadLight
Old 11-09-14, 11:45 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I regularly use a Garmin 800. I haven't succumbed to anything.
Old 11-09-14, 11:52 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12777 Post(s)
Liked 7,694 Times in 4,083 Posts
I used to have cyclecomputers but mainly for ODO and time of day. Having a smart phone is better, having 7 bikes it's better to track miles with the phone and Strava. Once you get all your bikes entered you just choose the bike from the dropdown as you upload your ride. You can even track miles on chains, cassettes pedals, etc.
Old 11-10-14, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I don't have much use for such things. I have not yet found one that quantifies my enjoyment of cycling.

If you are "training" then you will need one. Otherwise...
Old 11-10-14, 12:54 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
.... Sometimes I just feel like I'll become a slave to the numbers if I go electronic.
Slightly technophobic huh? Lots of people are. If someone is happy with their life.... any "change" could seemly present something negative. The only way to get past the fear is to just jump right in.

It is true... the stats/numbers/data can be a little additive.... but not addictive like booze, cigarettes, crack, or watching Animal Planet.

I think it should be safe to try out a cheap little bicycle computer.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 11-10-14 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-10-14, 12:56 AM

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
As a side note, I will point out that just because a word ends in an "S" does not mean that it also needs an apostrophe. You damn heathens.

<edit> Dave changed "lot's" to "lots" which kind of blunted my point. I just wanted to make sure everyone know's he is still a horrible person.

Last edited by Six jours; 11-10-14 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-10-14, 01:03 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I confess, I have succumbed. My lamps are all LEDs now. Is that what you meant?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-10-14, 04:35 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I have a tiny Garmin Geko taped to the stem to give me ride info. I also carry my iPhone 5 clipped to my back/waist for music, Strava, work (on call) and emergencies. Other than that.....

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 11-10-14 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Stoopid misspell
Old 11-10-14, 05:40 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a cyclocomputer(Specialized sport, wireless) to keep track of my miles and to see my speed. I can more easily maintain my speed occasionally(very) the readout than I can when I don't have it. I feel I also can maintain a higher speed. I also have a Smarphone(Droid Maxx) and use Strava. I am considering a heart rate monitor so I can get a better idea of my effort.

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I have a tiny Garmin Geko taped to the stem to give me ride info. I also carry my iPhone 5 clipped to my back/waist for music, Strava, work (on call) and emergencies. Other than that.....
I hope you're not using earbuds and listening to music while cycling. I came up on a guy who was also cycling, just not as fast, and I kept repeating "On Your Left," but he didn't seem to acknowledge me. As I passed him, he almost lost control because I startled him so much. He had no idea I was there since he couldn't hear me over his music.
Old 11-10-14, 05:55 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jour's
A's a side note, I will point out that just because a word end's in an "S" doe's not mean that it also need's an apostrophe. You damn heathen's.

<edit> Dave changed "lot's" to "lots" which kind of blunted my point. I just wanted to make sure everyone know's he i's still a horrible person.

I spotted you're deliberate mistake's their and have corrected them.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 11-25-14 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-10-14, 06:18 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
You can always buy a Huret Multito from Ebay. I used one back in the early 80s and they were amazingly accurate.

I use an 810 now.

Old 11-10-14, 06:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By law, I require a headlight & taillight for my nighttime rides. Having battled my way back from a heart attack that nearly claimed my existence at age 53, tracking my progress via a simple $13.00 12-function bicycle computer has been a vital tool in that battle, as it has permitted me to evaluate my progress.
Old 11-10-14, 06:35 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Not addicted to electronics, nor have I adopted the Luddite lifestyle. I carry my cell phone in a jersey pocket, it makes my wife feel better about me being out, with my various ailments. A wireless cyclocomputer resides on my stem, primarily for tracking mileage. Not a racer by any stretch of the imagination, so no power meter, I couldn't afford one at current prices, anywho. Lights are Planet Bike, both using non-rechargeable batteries, daytime rides only. I can easily see why a cyclist would use any of the various devices available, and I can also see how they could take over your riding pleasure, if you let them.

Okay, Dave, Six Jours, Gerry, grade and edit away, please. Should be fun to see how I fare/fair/phare....

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-10-14, 06:58 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
You can always buy a Huret Multito from Ebay. I used one back in the early 80s...
I still use one.
Old 11-10-14, 07:06 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I like the additional information provided by my Garmin and while I do save my "data" on Strava I don't pay much attention to PRs, etc. I also really like my Cardio bluetooth headset; it lets me listen to audio books during my solo back country rides.
Old 11-10-14, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I've got computers on two of my bikes, but use Strava on all my rides. It tracks mileage better than I would (entering computer distance in a spreadsheet or paper log really sounds like work) and gives me lots of other data to boot. Comparing your time up a given hill or on a certain route over time is very nice.

Overall, I don't miss the cyclecomputer on the bikes without it, it's nice not having that monkey on your back sometimes. If I'm really concerned about my speed on most rides I know that means I should just push harder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.