Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm looking at a "2013 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disk Model"

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-12-14, 08:44 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a new leftover a guy bought and listed locally...he's only owned it for 5-6 weeks and selling at a very reasonable price because he's 6'1" and it's a "Medium Frame" he claims is too small for him and?..I like it!....but he goes on to say it's medium frame would fit a 5'9"-5'11" rider best...but when I look at specialized fitment charts?...it lists the medium frame crosstrail as fitting 5'4"-5'8" riders...I'm 5'6"...soo?...I'm thinking This IS the bike for me or?....am I reading the chart wrong?....

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_d...zing-guide.pdf

Cause I hope not...I want this bike! T.I.A. Bill.
Old 11-12-14, 08:56 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one....

and his listing reads...

For Sale: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disk Model

Purchased new 5 weeks ago from Authorized Specialized Dealer in Jupiter (leftover stk).
Upgraded tires to Kenda Small Block 8 700x35c
Upgraded bars to 31.8" low riser bars
Upgraded stem
Upgraded pedals
Ergon Grips

Cyclocross tires on this bike are great for a variety of surfaces from trails, gravel, asphalt, rough road conditions, go almost anywhere with a single bike.

I am selling this bike because I purchased the wrong size for me. This frame is medium for 5'9 to 5'11 but it's a bit too small for me at 6'1" but I bought it anyway.......

Paid $600.00 last month but selling now for [h=2]$325.00 OBRO[/h] to help fund a larger frame replacement bike.

Like new, no dings, no rust, like new but a little better than new with upgrades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01111_2F07jEhWHqo_600x450.jpg (51.1 KB, 32 views)
00H0H_bKZ1KYHK2C1_600x450.jpg (52.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 11-13-14, 02:56 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would fit you...but i think your trek is probaly a better bike, imo.
Old 11-13-14, 06:46 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not one to go by the listed fitment charts the manufacturers put out, you can see if a bicycle fits you by riding it, IMHO. If you're asking, I'd say ride the Trek you just purchased and got sorted out for a bit, get fit and ride conditioned then see what you can find. I fully realize that saying pass up on an N+1 is heresy here, I'll take my lumps on that one when they start.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 11-13-14, 07:15 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the one hand I'd say don't rush into buying too many bikes this soon after you've returned to cycling but take your time to find out what you really want/need.

But on the other hand, if you can afford it, and if it maintains your enthusiasm, then go for it. If you subsequently find it doesn't suit you you can easily sell it on for little or no loss and you'll be closer to knowing what best suits your riding style.
Old 11-13-14, 07:56 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grab it before someone else does.

You can't have too many bikes, it's a new law.
Old 11-13-14, 08:03 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an older Crosstrail, and it is a great utility bike, that likes to go fast....... It's not a replacement for what you already have, but a great do it all bike. And the lock out suspension really does soften the ride, when you need it. It will do fine on lite trails, gravel, dirt, etc; but it ain't a mountain bike like your recently acquired bike. Schwalbe Marathon Supremes do wonders in transforming it to more roadworthy, in 35 and 40 sizes. It's a beast as a grocery getter.
Old 11-13-14, 10:48 AM
Jinkster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts and input folks!...and while there's not a bad opinion in the flock?...rest assured of the following....

"VIOLET"... (my trek)...isn't going anywhere.

Because what she did was open the door to a new and far more liberating form of riding for me...that said?...I also feel a little guilty dusting the knob tires off her on 90%+ pavement rides...where I believe this swiss army knife of a cross trail will shine...brightly...and the price point made it way to tempting to walk away...that said?...

I emailed the seller with an offer of $300 last night...citing the $25 was just to cover fuel costs of picking it up...he responded this morning with...."Deal!...see you Friday!"

So it looks like the bike is mine tomorrow evening after work.
Old 11-13-14, 10:49 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike and a good deal - if it fits your dimensions and your needs. Should fit, but a test ride is better than any chart for determining that.

Not sure if you are looking to replace the Trek or add one to the quill. If a replacement, I think you'll find the more modern components quite an upgrade.

EDIT - posted at same time as above post.
Old 11-14-14, 10:54 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Test ride, test ride, test ride!
And since he 'upgraded' the stem and bars probably in an atempt to correct the poor fit, ask if he still has and will include the originals. The new parts may affect the fit for you, which the old parts would 'correct'.

TEST RIDE!
Old 11-14-14, 11:42 AM
Jinkster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
Test ride, test ride, test ride!
And since he 'upgraded' the stem and bars probably in an atempt to correct the poor fit, ask if he still has and will include the originals. The new parts may affect the fit for you, which the old parts would 'correct'.

TEST RIDE!
Thanks leob1...I just got off the phone with him and yes he has the stock stem but he said it doesn't fit the 31.5 handlebars he upgraded too...however. ..he's bringing wrenches and a few other different angle stems and it willing to swap out for whatever fits me best and doesn't want me riding away unhappy or with a misfit bike...this deal just keeps getting better!
Old 11-14-14, 03:09 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be concerned that it is stolen. 5 weeks old and he is trying to sell for about half of what he paid. To me this is suspect.
Old 11-14-14, 03:34 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
I'd be concerned that it is stolen. 5 weeks old and he is trying to sell for about half of what he paid. To me this is suspect.
It is a little squirrelly. I would think that if he really bought it from a local authorized Specialized dealer, if they were worth their salt, a) they would not have sold him such a mis-matched bike size-wise, and b) if they actually did, and they were reputable, they would certainly credit him at least $400 of it to trade for a proper sized replacement bike,
Old 11-14-14, 06:57 PM
Jinkster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman View Post
It is a little squirrelly. I would think that if he really bought it from a local authorized Specialized dealer, if they were worth their salt, a) they would not have sold him such a mis-matched bike size-wise, and b) if they actually did, and they were reputable, they would certainly credit him at least $400 of it to trade for a proper sized replacement bike,
Well?...I just got home with it...and IMHO?...you folks are close but...in a different way...as here's what I think the deal was....

I hafta admit...the guy was good...he was fast talking, fast acting and extremely friendly...and ultimately?...he wound up getting over on me as follows...

I was a bit nervous with the whole....."Meet me in the Tiki Beach Parking Lot and Call Me When You Get There"...thing....with $300 cash in my pocket and a loaded .357 in the console I waited....(as he had also asked what kind of vehicle I'd be driving)...but there was plenty of people around...an extremely "Public" location....so that put my mind to ease as I sat there for the 10 minutes waiting after I called him "when I got there"...and sure enough in comes a Honda CRV with (2) bikes on the back-rack...a sirrus elite and this crosstrail...and the "friendly" came right up front with him handing me what he claimed to be the original grips and a Fugi 10deg stem saying he put this 50deg stem on for me (after me telling him I'm 5'6") and he said just keep it all and you can try (and/or flip) the 10deg extra fugi stem he gave me...then he reached in his pocket producing a triple hex key...took a look sizing me up and them slammed the seat down a few inches....handed me the bike and said..."There...try that"...and I did and man oh man...I was really quite taken with the bike...it was just so smooth and comfy and the first 180 turn I took?...I was sold...the bike steered and handled so intuitively...tight and on the mark...next he says...."So whaadaya think?"...I said it feels really smooth...then he said...

"Well?...let's go for a short ride and make sure you like it!"

I agreed...he grabbed his sirrus elite and off we went...with me loving the heck out of my first experience with the rapid fire shifters as we tooled around for about 10m minutes from lot too lot and going over a few grassy knolls and I loved the bike...and told him "Deal!"...but there were a few things....

1. The bike was missing the side-stand (shown in the CL sales pic) and?...

2. It appeared a bit dirtier with a few more marks and scratches than one might expect of a 5 week old bike.

and the next things?....I didn't notice until I got it home...

3. The bike was devoid of any reflectors whatsoever (also shown in the CL sales pics) and?...

(the biggy?....)

4. I noticed that nowhere on this bike could I find the words..."SPORT DISC"...and that's when I realized that while the disc brakes on this bike are and felt great?....they are not hydraulic like advertised from specialized and that's when it occured to me (after reviewing specialized website) that this bike is not a Crosstrail Sport Disc...it's just a Crosstrail Disc...and the guy was sharp enough to witness me looking for the fork lockout and without me asking said..."If you're looking for the fork lockout that bike doesn't have one."

Now...I'm about 99.999% positive this bike is not stolen...(or I wouldn't of bought it)....and the reason I say that is because several times the guy said...

"And if you have any problems with this bike whatsoever...take it too RealDeal Bicycles...they are the ones I bought it from and are the local authorized Specialized dealer."

And that much?...I know is true...I had already researched that however...

I'm also about 99.999% certain that this guy was lying his azz off about everything else....and what I think I just bought is a used demo bike with new tires...I'm talking brand new with the flashing still on them..Kendra Small Block 8's...and who I think he is?....is an old retired guy that's very much into bikes with an affiliation with the previously mentioned bike shop and is hawking off these demo/rentals for them.

Now all that said?...even though there's a lack of hydraulics on my disc brakes?...and even though the front suspension doesn't have a lockout feature?...and even though I pretty much knew before I handed him the money that this clown was a lying POS and offing demo/rental bikes on CL?....I still felt the bike was worth every penny of my $300 and while it wasn't all of what I was expecting as advertised?...it was also exactly what I was looking for everywhere else...along with a 100 mile round trip in my truck on the line...so I bought it....but I'm pretty D@mn sure it isn't stolen....based on the fact that I don't know too many bike thieves with white hair and dayglow, neon green bike shirts driving late model Honda CRV's with not one but two "specialized" bikes on the back and a triple hex key in their pocket!. LOL!

Also?...I took it straight to my LBS here in town...where Bruce the mech installed and length cut a nice matching flat black kickstand too size for me...and then I went ahead and sprung for a new set of dual interface pedals...(the same as on my Giant RB)...and when I brought too Bruce's attention that the bike didn't have a reflector on it?...he gave me a set...and yes...then I felt bad for buying a used bike off CL instead of saving longer and buying a new one from him but....live and learn and "next time".

So at the end of the day?...ripped off?....or?..made out?...I dunno...but I'd bet the farm it isn't stolen and I guess thanks to specialized?...I still do love the bike...as despite it all?...it's an awesome ride.

Last edited by Jinkster; 11-14-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 07:28 AM
Jinkster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay...I may have been wrong about this bike having been a hawked off demo/rental as last night I grabbed a bottle of windex, a can of pledge (my readers LOL!) and a rag and went to work and?...all the dirt and 98% of what I thought were marks and scratches went away. and it does in fact look like a relatively new'ish kind of bike except for some marks where I can see the chain laid on the clear protective sticker on the one rear strut...I'm guessing this happened when he swapped out the tires and he also made the remark saying that he swapped the tires out because he found the Kenda small block 8 tires to be one of the fastest rolling...(I researched this and it's true that they are noted for that)

I believe most of "The Marks" (and what I thought were scratches) were what I'm guessing to be residue from the rubber thongs that held this bike on the back of the sellers transport rack...and went away with some elbow grease...as did what appeared to be an excess of chain lube slung here and there...couple that with the factory paint appearing to be some sort of flat pearl white?...and it looked a lot worse than it really is...especially without my readers on...either way! LOL!

Also?...I noted that this guy did leave his CL add up but marked as (SOLD)....also?...he did make another somewhat strange comment to me claiming that the $300 I gave him was going into his next bike purchase followed with....

"I feel like I'm kind of like a test pilot as this next one will make a total of 36 bikes I've owned in the last 18 months."

So I dunno...we do get a lot of somewhat strange retirees down my way...most are wealthy if not downright eccentric and seem far from "alright" to the average Joe...living like they were dying and at the same time?..trying to recapture their youth...with 60 somethings walking out of shops with brand new bikes and surfboards! LOL!

So todays a new day...with a renewed perspective about buying this bike...and maybe even my initial feelings about the seller miss-advertising it as a "Sport Disc" model as the bike did "Clean Up" nicely and besides...who puts red/white 'DICE" valve covers on their bike because the color matched and they thought they looked cute? LOL!

He also stated several reasons "WHY" he swapped out the stock handlebars citing that the stock steel flat-bar was wider and of a smaller diameter which made them vibey on his hands when riding pavement...and that not only were these new bars stiffer and less vibey?...they are specialized aluminum bars so they are also far lighter than the stock bars....so he cited them an "Upgrade"...

and he also gave me an extra 10deg Fugi stem he claimed was a $40 item...(in case I found the 50deg stem he put on there for me too high)...along with the stock grips he replaced and I shod the bike with dual interface pedals on the way home cause I found those super huge platforms he put on there utterly ridiculous....

so?...I may have been wrong in many ways...probably because he miss-advertised it and I was ticked about that....and then come home to read folks think I may have just bought a stolen bike so...I guess things could be worse!

A couple things are for sure....

1. I feel much better about the bike today than I did last night and...

2. It is one sweet azz tight ride.

Also?..I guess I have to cut him some slack as this flat pearl white factory paint?...is like a freaking dirt/grime magnet...especially around the disc brakes...no wonder they went to charcoal/black for 2014!

L8R, Bill.
Attached Images
xtrail1.jpg (92.3 KB, 11 views)
xtrail2.jpg (90.8 KB, 10 views)
xtrail3.jpg (84.3 KB, 9 views)
xtrail4.jpg (42.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Jinkster; 11-15-14 at 07:33 AM.