Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Won a bike at a raffle this week! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/982074-won-bike-raffle-week.html)

Latif 11-17-14 12:37 PM

Won a bike at a raffle this week!

One of our local lbs's which is also a full outdoor adventure store had a raffle for a new bike this past week as part of their annual 25% off everything in the store sale. The person manning the raffle ticket box didn't even know what bike was offered but I figured it couldn't hurt to try even though I've never won anything in my 64 years. Yesterday they called to say I'd won a new Specialized Crossroads sport with a womens cutout frame, size large.Not a bad bike if someone was looking for an upright riding all arounder with a shock absorber seat post and 700c 45m semi knobby tires and extra wide bars. What a trip riding it home sitting bolt upright being used to my endurance fit road bikes. Wish I had someone in the family who could use it but we've already got 8 bikes for our 5 adults and it's way too big to give to my daughter who lives in Socal. I suppose I'll sell it to offset my mammoth spending habit on bike gear.

reverborama 11-17-14 01:35 PM

That's exciting! I was expecting you to say you won a logo-ed bike from some event (usually something with entry level components) but to have won a bike from an LBS is really something good! Hope you can find someone who will appreciate it -- and ride it!

Rick@OCRR 11-17-14 04:27 PM

I'm 64 and have never won anything either . . . maybe I shouldn't give up hope quite yet.

Although . . . back when the Free trip to Viet Nam lotto was going on I got a really high number (344) so I guess I have won that; otherwise I'd probably have been dead long ago.

So, on further thought, I can't complain!

Rick / OCRR

Latif 11-17-14 05:53 PM

I forgot about that military lottery. I got #321 so did win that one too. Might have been dead as well...

SparkyBeacon 11-17-14 07:48 PM

I "won" two eBay auctions for bikes this year. Only cost me about $2,000. I think I should switch to raffles.

John E 11-17-14 08:51 PM

Best giveaway I ever won was a Garmin Nuvi, at the last Christmas party my employer held before closing down.

Next best was a case of paraffin chain lube, a case of Cliff bars, AND a bicycle messenger bag.

Deal4Fuji 11-18-14 06:46 AM

I won a new car once, so I'll probably never win anything again.

rumrunn6 11-18-14 03:26 PM

my sister would dig that bike

B. Carfree 11-18-14 09:54 PM

I won a hot air balloon ride once. The only problem was that I had an intense fear of heights back then. Fortunately, a co-worker got married shortly after I won, so I gave it to her. She said it was a nice flight over Napa County; I spent that day riding my bike about 150 miles, most of it in the hills above Napa Valley. To each his or her own.

RoadLight 11-19-14 12:10 AM

Hi Latif,

Congratulations. Here are a couple websites that might be helpful since you plan to sell it:

Bicycle Blue Book -- will estimate the value of your bike. Plus, they offer a place to advertise and sell it.
Goodbye Cycle -- will buy your bike.

Kind regards, RoadLight

badger1 11-19-14 11:09 AM

Good stuff! Puts me in mind of the fact that my being a cyclist, and indeed being on this forum, is an indirect result of a raffle/prize draw!

Explanation. Back in later Winter 2002 @ age 50 I received the (stereo)typical 'wake up' call from my GP: blood pressure up, heart rate high, cholesterol through the roof etc. Ya better do something about it. Hmmm, I thought, what the hell am I going to do? I hate swimming; can't stand "working out" etc. Lazy b_gg_r.

Lo and behold: Mrs. Badger won a Raleigh mtb (hardtail; one step above a bike-shaped-object) in a prize draw about the same time. We picked it up; it sat; "we'll sell it in the Spring". Then, as these things go, I got to thinking: well, I did ride -- a lot, everywhere, all the time -- up into my early 20s before undergoing the usual morph into a sedentary slob (professional life, first as a practicing lawyer and later as an academic will do that). Always loved cycling when I was active, and had always followed racing with a pretty passionate interest, so ... might as well try.

It took one ride once the weather cleared in the Spring; I was re-hooked. Rode that heavy thing a lot/everywhere/all the time -- racked up around 3000 kms in that first season, and have never looked back. Newer/lighter bikes followed beginning the next year, but took Blue Pig #1 (Blue Pig #2 is my beloved 2005 Giant Rainier) out to our place in the Maritimes where it served me well for another few years before being passed on to a local friend who is still riding it.

Fast forward: at 63, and some 6-7000 kms/year average since '03 resting h/r is usually around 55, b/p stereotypically 'normal', cholesterol ditto. Can't do anything about degenerative disc disease and various other little goodies other than 'good management', but still ...

Overall I like to attribute all of this to my being the indirect beneficiary of a raffle!

qclabrat 11-19-14 11:21 AM

did you ask the store to trade up for something you can use for your daughter? that way you are both winners, this time of the year shops are looking to clear old stock

Dan Burkhart 11-19-14 11:34 AM

Every time I pick up my voicemail on my cell phone, I've won another Caribbean cruise.

Dan Burkhart 11-19-14 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by reverborama (Post 17315415)
That's exciting! I was expecting you to say you won a logo-ed bike from some event (usually something with entry level components) but to have won a bike from an LBS is really something good! Hope you can find someone who will appreciate it -- and ride it!

When I ran the bike shop, I assembled logo-ed bikes for Mooshead Beer. The sales manager (His name was Tony Bennett,) was a good customer, so I took on the task. These things would have needed upgrades to get them to entry level, that's all I will say about them.

Latif 11-19-14 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by qclabrat (Post 17321272)
did you ask the store to trade up for something you can use for your daughter? that way you are both winners, this time of the year shops are looking to clear old stock

The shop was clear, no trade-ins and I've no problem with that. I think it was a bike that wasn't selling and thus expendable. They're a small shop without a huge inventory. I do a lot of business with them and they treat me quite well. Looks like I have a close friend who due to physical problems can't ride her regular hybrid and this may be a good fit. Will see