Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Type Of Ridinig Do You Do?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-20-14, 06:06 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts

Outside of when I was a child?...where I rode pretty much anywhere and everywhere over anything? LOL!...pretty much all of my adult riding was done on road bikes...up too 20 years ago...but now that I've re-entered this wonderful activity?....it seems "Road Biking"...(as I remember it)...in my area?...has become just this side of playing Russian Roulette with motorists not giving a flip about whether or not they end your life...and it is for that reason I'm redefining bicycling as I knew it and have done so by purchasing an inexpensive and dated full rigid Trek MB and more recently snagged a great deal on a 2013 Crosstrail Hybrid which is the bike I plan to start commuting on as it has the dual purpose thing down pat where should I need to leave the pavement in an emergency situation?..."It" (and I) can and can do so without wadding it up into a pile.

And more recently?...a real cool thing has come about...as this week alone I had two more coworkers who I never knew "mountain biked" come up to me out of the blue with...

"Hey Bill!...Heard you got a mountain bike!...here's my number...call...we'll go hit the trails sometime!"

And this has me thinking that sometime soon I might sell the RB and use those funds along with a fistful more too get at least an intermediate level MB in my stable....meanwhile?...commuting on the hybrid is my intended training program but things seem to be shaping up nicely and moving right along...btw...my rear brake needed adjusting...do you think the wife will get mad? LOL!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ctcoffee.jpg (96.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-20-14, 06:57 PM

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Road biking, only. Although I have been tempted by fat bikes. Luckily the roads around my home are excellent for biking.
Old 11-20-14, 08:24 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
Now that I'm retired I find myself doing 30 - 60 mile rides on an old steel road bike. I seemed to do more moderate short-ride intervals once a week when I was working. Now I usually just substitute a longer ride for those and enjoy it more.

We're fortunate to have a good long MUP up here to take much advantage of but I still hit the streets pretty often as well.
Old 11-20-14, 08:49 PM

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Now that I'm retired I find myself doing 30 - 60 mile rides on an old steel road bike. I seemed to do more moderate short-ride intervals once a week when I was working. Now I usually just substitute a longer ride for those and enjoy it more.

We're fortunate to have a good long MUP up here to take much advantage of but I still hit the streets pretty often as well.
I'm in the same boat, but as the rides have gotten longer I'm finding I run out of daylight before I run out of energy. I guess that's a good thing.
Old 11-20-14, 08:55 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I'm a Road Biker and a Street Biker in that I ride my recumbent bikes on streets and roads. Occasionally a club ride will involve brief periods on MUPs. Have been playing in traffic for so long that it feels normal and OK. Course, it requires careful riding and full attention to traffic. Especially on my suburban to urban commutes to work.
We're not too far from rural roads but there is still traffic on most of those within riding distance from home. It is nice to get far out into the country. Rode our tandem more this year (1400 miles) than ever before and that's all Road Biking too (on a recumbent tandem).
Old 11-20-14, 08:59 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I'm a fogliner.
Old 11-20-14, 09:06 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
"Road biking" in the sense that I ride on the road. Weekdays rides, that's just to burn off calories and all. Then weekends (Saturdays), that's randonneuring, with my friends that do the same thing. Lots of fun for me.
Old 11-20-14, 09:16 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Transportation.
Old 11-20-14, 09:17 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by WarrenR
I'm in the same boat, but as the rides have gotten longer I'm finding I run out of daylight before I run out of energy. I guess that's a good thing.
Yeah it pays to watch the sun instead of the wristwatch when fall comes around.
Old 11-20-14, 09:28 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Hard surface MUPS and roads. I ride a bent and a trike about 30 mile every other day. I dont like the price or need bike clothes kits. I ride in t-shirts and inexpensive rugby shorts. I ride at the speed and cadence that feels right at the time.
Old 11-20-14, 11:58 PM

Bikes: Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride packed dirt trails, single- and double-track, and quite a few MUPs. I almost never ride on any street. Too many friends have ben hit/threatened by cars. I use a cross-country bike that is quite nice for all those things.
Old 11-21-14, 04:42 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Road bike and cross bike for rail/trails. IMO the whole issue with car drivers being unaware and/or hostile is more about population density than anything else.
Old 11-21-14, 05:34 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Variety is the spice of life. That is why I like having a selection of bikes that allow me to enjoy road and XC riding depending on my mood.

The main change in my riding habits recently has been an increase in road riding and a reduction in the use of mtb trail centres with some of the more dangerous downhill runs. Too many falls and too long to recover from injury. A recent concussion has also had me worried about the longer term effects of brain injuries - I'm forgetful enough as it is in my late sixties.
Old 11-21-14, 07:48 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
Mostly commuting on my Mtn bike.
Old 11-21-14, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I currently own road bikes exclusively. I commute to work and do some errands on the touring/commuter. I ride 10 to 60 mile (depending on time available) recreational rides several times a week on one of my other road bikes (not suitable for carry loads). I've never gotten into off-road riding, in large part, because I would rather hike in wooded or wilderness areas.
Old 11-21-14, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What Type of Riding Do You Do?

I describe myself as a year round cycle commuter, occasional centurian (including training) during the nice weather), and a former tourist, including a cross country ride. I have a carbon fiber road bike for the good weather, and a mountain bike for the bad.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
“The (screen) name is Boston…Jim from Boston”

Outside of Bike Forums, I refer to my cycling personna as "The Road Warrior," …
When my son was younger (less than about five), on long car trips he would ask “How far?,"or “When are we going to get there?.” I would reply, “A Road Warrior doesn’t ask questions like that. He asks only, ‘Where are we going, and how are we going to get there?.’ ”

Mom however would say something like, “In about the time it takes to watch three TV shows.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-21-14 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
In warmer weather, mostly road, some gravel trail and some single-track, all on the same 29er.

In colder weather, mostly MUP trail and single-track, mostly on a fat bike, occasionally I'll drag out the 29er and do some roads.

I don't know where the fat bike will feature come spring 2015....it may be my main ride, it will certainly get some use on single-track and MUPs year-round.

I'm also planning on more touring for next year, but I haven't decided on a bike yet. I think it will be an old 29er that I may kit out solely for touring/ mini trips, but I haven't decided yet and don't need to
Old 11-21-14, 09:14 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Most of my rides are moderately paced (17 mph average) and moderately long (25 to 55 miles) rides on an old school steel road bike.

See: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post17291357

Some of my rides are on gravel on a carbon fiber CX bike;

I also like to ride a few Century events. This year the Dairyland Dare was done on a modern carbon fiber, last year I used a 30 year old Serotta.

The Dairyland Dare 150km Ride Report with introduction;

Several hilly challenge rides are held every year in the hilly Dairy farm region in southwestern Wisconsin. I increase my riding every summer hoping to have a good result at the Dairyland Dare held in Dodgeville, WI in early August. This event offers 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 & 300km ride lengths. I've attended the Dairyland dare several times since 2007. In 2008 I finished the 150km length in 7:50 time. I skipped the event in 2009. In 2010 I finished the 150km length in 7:49 time! My goal for 2013 was to equel my prior time without trying too hard. I would limit my substantial breaks to the 32 & 75 miles rest stops. The 150km route provides more than 10,000 ft of climbing.

I logged more than 700 training miles during the nine weeks prior to the event and I wished that I had ridden more. I also changed bikes, and put a 52,42,30 triple and an 12-28 eight speed cassette on my 1978 Serotta. The combination of wide gearing and a very stiff frame proved to be an effective improvement over my prior steel bikes.

Event day provided perfect weather, with mostly clear skies and temperatures in the 48 to 84 degree range. The humidity was low, a 5-10 northerly wind was felt on some sections.

I arrived at 5:40am, was able to park close to the start, and was in position to start a few minutes after 6am. The event is super-organized, with local police controlling intersections and more than 100 volunteers on the course. My batch of starters crossed the electronic timer and headed southeast over the rolling farm hills. Rolling is the best way to envision the course. Sections often look like an oversized roller coasters ride, with 45 mph drops that would last a thousand yards and a symmetrical climb that slows me to 5 mph for several minutes. Feeling strong and fresh, I used my 210 lbs mass to roll partually up the hill and then resumed speed as I crested the top. This created a situation where I would pass a group on descent and I would be passed on the climb. In accordion fashion, I stayed with the same set of cyclist for the first 35 miles, with this pattern repeating itself a dozen times.

The first section ends in Mineral Point after 15 miles. With police stopping traffic everywhere, I was able to travel through this folksy rural town non-stop. Leaving town, I passed several dozen riders by just getting in a tuck and taking the corners at speed. This pattern held until we returned to Lands End HQ. I used the Lands End parking lot as my first rest stop. I rode to my car, removed my vest, and ate a banana and energy bar. I also filled a bottle with Hammer Sustained Energy and filled the second bottle with water. My plan was to skip the next few rest stops and travel to a distant stop at mile 75.

The route uses the roads within Governor Dodge State Park. After a mile, the park road drops about 500ft over a mile and my speed hit 45 mph. This was a little sketchy since forest debris and repaired pavement is not ideal on a curvy downhill. To my surprise, a very fast rider on a TT bike passed me! So, I’m not the only guy that’s nuts! I caught my group at the bottom of the hill. The climb out is in the 16 to 18% range, I slowed to 4 mph using a 30t chainring and a 28 rear cog. Others were walking. At the top of the hill, most riders used the rest stop, but I kept going with supplies enough for the next 35 miles.

After leaving Governor Dodge State Park and covering a few miles on a HWY 23, we entered a rural section of forests and valleys. This is the kind of terrain that is so outstanding in this area. Thirty mile views are available from the ridges and secluded roads, sheltered by a canopy of trees, is the norm. Two long descents and two steep climbs dominate the section that’s starts after turning off Hwy 23 and finishes on County Road ZZ. These two climbs are the steepest for the first 50 miles.

In prior years, the Dairyland dare would travel south on Route Z. This year, the riders travel east on ZZ are treated to a near mile long drop at high speed. The route then traveled on a flatter section of Route Y for a few miles. The recovery time is good to enjoy since a mile long climb in the 3 to 9 mph range will soon dominate the better part of ten minutes. At the top of Route Y, the 100km continues on Route Y, while the 150km riders use the Military Trail bike path.

The path is mostly smooth and firm but a few sections are a little soft or rough due to older age of the surface. At Evans Quarry Rd, the riders leave the trail and drop down while heading north. This is a fun and fast downhill, the road is narrow but the sight lines are good and it's easy to enjoy the speed. Evans Quarry Rd ends at Route Y and the cyclist turn east at this point. We are now seeing oncoming cyclist who are heading up towards Dodgeville. In less than a mile, we climb up Ridgeville Rd and reconnect with the Military Trail bike path.

I take my second rest stop and chat with a cyclist from Illinois who grew up in Italy. Roberto was avery nice guy with a daughter in Northwestern. After drinking to the fill and enjoying some fruit I fill my bottles with HEED and return to the ride.

I nice long decent on County HHH follows and wide pavement made this speedy decent super easy. I continue north on HHH, the turn-off on Knobs Road comes up soon. Knobs Road is a long stair-step climb that last about two miles. It’s a nice road, very quiet with a variety of farmland and forests. Knobs Road ends at County T, and I know I have only about 25% left to finish. The last 20 miles includes a lot of vertical, both up & down. The long grinding climbs are very much back-loaded, a smart cyclist needs to save plenty of stamina for the finish. I’m feeling good and taking it slow for the last 25 miles. I probably use two hours to cover the last 25% of the event.

An intersection coated with gravel marks the beginning of Far-Look Rd. This is another long & steep climb, with some sections exceed 10%. Knowing that I’m close to the end and have not over-extended myself, I feel confident. After another long grind, I reach Route Z. At Korback Rd, we head east again. This road is another lovely descent, with rolling sections and the forest provides shade for the last section of this road. The route then follows Route Y to Route ZZ. We then travel uphill along Griffiths Rd, a suprising set of hills

I take a short break at the 90 mile point. Resuming my ride, I travel down route Z, with a pack of younger riders grabbing my wheel at 45 mph. As the road bottoms out, I start the mile long climb at 5 mph. A few more rolling hills along route Z and I approach the start/finish point. I enter Lands End and see the Bikeforums cyclist who are enjoying a beer and cheering me on. I’m finally at the conclusion.

As usual, I was “as slow as a snail” for the Dairyland Dare 150km. Many riders coming to this event are very fit & fast. It’s impressive to see, and a part of the fun. My challenge was to ride, ride & ride until completed.

My favorite group of rides this year was along the coast and in the mountains of Italy.

Taken from about 3800 ft above sea level.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-22-14 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 09:43 AM
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I'm a Road Biker and a Street Biker in that I ride my recumbent bikes on streets and roads. Occasionally a club ride will involve brief periods on MUPs. Have been playing in traffic for so long that it feels normal and OK. Course, it requires careful riding and full attention to traffic. Especially on my suburban to urban commutes to work.
We're not too far from rural roads but there is still traffic on most of those within riding distance from home. It is nice to get far out into the country. Rode our tandem more this year (1400 miles) than ever before and that's all Road Biking too (on a recumbent tandem).
Originally Posted by StephenH
"Road biking" in the sense that I ride on the road. Weekdays rides, that's just to burn off calories and all. Then weekends (Saturdays), that's randonneuring, with my friends that do the same thing. Lots of fun for me.
Mostly sport, with a little bit of transport (library runs and short trips to shmooze at the tattoo shop).

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be riding significantly more in the way of transport if the supermarkets, post office, and similar destinations provided a bike rack.
Old 11-21-14, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Interesting question!

Here at home base I'd just call myself a 'recreational-but-serious cyclist'. I ride alone ... the solitude is part of the joy of cycling for me. Although I do ride my bike to/from work as often as possible, I refuse to call that 'commuting' -- ugh! Would take all the joy out of it! I've learned that I don't much like riding on open/country roads, most of which around here carry constant, heavy vehicular traffic. Oddly, I don't at all mind slicing/dicing with the cars on downtown streets when necessary. Perhaps I need therapy?

Anyway, we are fortunate to have a pretty good river-side MUP here on which it is easy to put together a series of out-'n-backs along the various branches (which all converge at the forks of a river) totalling a good 52+ kms (32+ miles). In addition, there are lots of non-technical dirt trails branching off it -- which I ride at any opportunity. I do this kind of extended ride at least two mornings or evenings each week and at least once on the weekends, on top of daily riding to/from work. I currently use a flat-bar road bike w/32 tires for this stuff.

July/August the Badgers remove to Canada's east coast, on the Bay of Fundy. There, I keep the Blue Pig (my much-loved, heavily-upgraded '05 Giant Rainier) and indulge my love of off-road and 'street'. The entrance to the Fundy Trail (20+ kms of cliff-side trail cut in above the Bay, and being extended yearly) is about a 20 minute ride away from our place. In addition, I can access another trailhead about five minutes up the road; this leads to a series of single and double track trails that wind all over the place through the forest. There's a small lake in the middle of the network; lots of wildlife to observe (black bears; deer; bobcats; birds of all kinds). As well, there are excellent trails, a very quiet riverside road ride (along the Saint John River), and fun 'urban mtb-ing' in and around Saint John, NB -- just a half-hour drive away. I'll sometimes take Blue Pig into town and goof around the city for two or three hours.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.
Old 11-21-14, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WarrenR
Originally Posted by Zinger
Yeah it pays to watch the sun instead of the wristwatch when fall comes around.
Nonsense. That's why they make bicycle lights (I won't get into the whole battery vs dyno debate).
Old 11-21-14, 02:47 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
After a 9 month Bike Tour of the British Isles , I ride A to B within Town .
Old 11-21-14, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
This time of year it's almost all commuting and short trips for transportation. In the spring I'm more like the stereotype roadie, except no group rides.
Old 11-21-14, 05:46 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
Nonsense. That's why they make bicycle lights (I won't get into the whole battery vs dyno debate).
Personally I never ride at night. It's a little rule I made for myself 35 years ago.
Old 11-21-14, 05:50 PM
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride a mountain bike, but mostly road riding. I also ride a lot of dirt and gravel roads, so I don't ride a road bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.