Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Tale Of 2 Pumps (Live & Learn...a good lesson)

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-21-14, 07:29 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So...fresh back into it as a re-entry rider dragging my 10 year old Giant OCR3 RB out of the shed it rotted in for 9 years and after snuffing it back up to ride-able condition?....if there's one thing I knew it was just how temp sensitive air pressure is in my 100psi presta valved tubes hidden under my 700/23 Michelin Dynamic tires and realized the first thing I should have is something I didn't...a good pump...so in all my brilliance?....I ran right out (nearly 3 months ago) and bought wally worlds best....a ZEFAL floor pump that cost me about $20 (if I remember correctly...which often times I don't these days! LOL) and as it turned out?...even wally worlds best wasn't good enough and a royal PITA to use...the worst part being?...getting the adapter head back off the valve without losing 1/2 of what I just pumped in...fitting the presta valve so tightly it felt like I might rip the valve right out of the tube and would wind up with maybe 60-80psi in a tire that calls for 73-102psi...and even that would be a matter of luck and timing...and now?...I own 3 bikes...my Giant RB...an old (but fully refurbished) Trek Mountain Track 800 Sport (I bought for a song) and my newly acquired 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Disc Hybrid (which is my latest love)...as my poor Giant RB...with all of it's new snuffed up components once again sat withering away and why?...because it was such a PITA to get the tires to hit even close to proper psi with my $20 Wally World Zefal Pump....so today?...I remedied that...besides?...it';s absolutely foolish for me to be owning these 3 fine rides and not have a decent floor pump..so this evening after work?...I fulfilled a promise to myself...by swinging by the LBS and buying the best they had....a...

"Specialized Airtool HP Floor Pump"

and Lord does my Giant now ROLL and feel great with a proper 100lbs in her tubes!

If I can buy an $80 headlight...a $45 tail-light and own and ride 3 great bikes?...surely I can drop $50 on a decent high pressure floor pump and I'm real happy I did!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pump1.jpg (40.3 KB, 42 views)
pump2.jpg (88.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-21-14, 08:40 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I bought a good Silca floor pump I used a low bucks schrader pump with these presta-to-schrader adapters on my tubes:

Innovations Presta Valve Adapter from BikeBling.com

That served me fine for years.
Attached Images
Innovations-PV-Adapter-2.jpg (37.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-21-14, 09:04 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
Before I bought a good Silca floor pump I used a low bucks schrader pump with these presta-to-schrader adapters on my tubes:

Innovations Presta Valve Adapter from BikeBling.com

That served me fine for years.
Yep...had/have one of those...but the pump still blew.
Old 11-21-14, 09:14 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't remember where I got my old schrader pump from.....Sears or someplace. I would have to use a standard tire gauge to measure but the setup held up for about 5 years for me and maxed out the pressure OK.

Nice looking Presta Pump though. That'll do it better.
Old 11-21-14, 09:30 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ˝DT14

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
....if there's one thing I knew it was just how temp sensitive air pressure is in my 100psi presta valved tubes hidden under my 700/23 Michelin Dynamic tires...
Yeah, uh, actually the pressure/temperature relationship is based on absolute zero.

A good pump is nice in any event.
Old 11-22-14, 05:57 AM
Jinkster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
I can't remember where I got my old schrader pump from.....Sears or someplace. I would have to use a standard tire gauge to measure but the setup held up for about 5 years for me and maxed out the pressure OK.

Nice looking Presta Pump though. That'll do it better.
Zinger...even the Kenda V Block 8 tires on my new hybrid call for 65min/85max and they have schrader valved tubes but...that's the cool thing about this HP floor pump...it has this "Switch Hitter Technology" where it automatically does either...presta or schrader...here's a vid somebody did about these Specialized Airtool HP Floor Pumps that might shed a little more light.

Old 11-22-14, 02:22 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone come across a floor or frame pump that screws onto the valve? To me that is still the best method for not losing air when disengaging.
Old 11-22-14, 02:43 PM
flyfisherbob

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker View Post
Anyone come across a floor or frame pump that screws onto the valve? To me that is still the best method for not losing air when disengaging.
I ponied up the $$ for a Lezyne this summer. They're not cheap, but I like the screw on head better than the rubber seal on my old Silca.
Old 11-22-14, 03:00 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyfisherbob View Post
I ponied up the $$ for a Lezyne this summer. They're not cheap, but I like the screw on head better than the rubber seal on my old Silca.
Thanks, Bob - I know the brand by reputation, but they don't seem to carry it in my area. I'll check it out next time I'm Stateside.
Old 11-22-14, 03:12 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Lezyne is a nice pump, but we had trouble with the screw-on head and Novarra tubes - stripped the threads. No problem on our other tubes. Possibly op-error, though after the first one we were really careful and still couldn't get it to thread correctly.

My current pump as a head similar to the so-called "switch hitter" that works very well, just a little hard to put on or pull off. Tight fit.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 11-22-14, 03:49 PM
Jinkster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker View Post
Thanks, Bob - I know the brand by reputation, but they don't seem to carry it in my area. I'll check it out next time I'm Stateside.
I just saw those at another LBS one town away I went to visit this afternoon and they looked real nice in an old school sort of way and I liked all of that...but I will say this on behalf of the Specialized Airtool HP Floor Pump I just bought last night...it was $50 (not $80 like the Lezynes I just looked at) and?...I actually like the "Switch Hitter II" technology on the adapter head as I checked it out for air loss because I did hear that "POP!" of air as the adapter head popped off the stems....so I put it back on just to see how much A.P. was lost and it was only a pound or 2...several times over and?...I can live with that...the other thing that impressed me was when I asked Bruce the mech if it was worth it for me to spend the extra $10 and buy the $50 HP model (over the $40 standard model)?...he said "Absolutely!"...then followed with..."Look at these!"...as he snatched two of those very pumps (just like mine but all scratched and well worn) they had behind the mechs. counter saying...

"We've been using these two for years...never had a problem...and both of them have seen a lot more pumping than you'll do in a lifetime!"

And that was enough to sell me.
Old 11-24-14, 10:06 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to get a screw-on head (Schrader) for my Silca at the same LBS that sold me the pump. Works like charm.

Last edited by Pobble.808; 11-24-14 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-28-14, 10:33 PM
Daniel4

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Just thinking: If you can get a hold of those cheap norco hand pumps with the flexible hose, you can screw the hose onto the tube valve but you'll have to find a way to press the floor pump hose onto the pump end of the norco flexible hose. If you can do that, you'll eliminate the risk of releasing out the air you just pumped in and the risk of breaking your valve stems.
Old 11-28-14, 10:53 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wallyworld 'name brand' stuff is built to Wally specs and still crappy no matter what name's on it.
Some companies have actually refused to wholesale stuff to them because they wanted to cheapen the product and hence be able to lower the price. A good way to ruin a great brand's reputation.
Old 11-29-14, 07:41 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have enough grief with dual-purpose heads that I would almost rather have two floor pumps -- one for the cars, the other for the bicycles. I currently have two floor pumps, anyway, because the head of one works better on Schraeder, and the head of the other works better on Presta.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-29-14, 07:57 AM
Coal Buster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
Wallyworld 'name brand' stuff is built to Wally specs and still crappy no matter what name's on it.
Some companies have actually refused to wholesale stuff to them because they wanted to cheapen the product and hence be able to lower the price. A good way to ruin a great brand's reputation.
I believe it's even a little more crass than that. My friend owns a small tool distribution company. People were bringing him broken electric drills they had brought at Lowes or Home Depot so he could give them to the mfg. rep when they came in for returns. Turns out they wouldn't take them because even though they had their name on them they didn't make them. It seems that the stores go the mfg. and say that they have a Chinese mfg. who will make a tool with these specs and how much will we have to pay you to put your name on them. Once both sides agree on what the specs and costs will be: voila! you have a relatively inexpensive name brand tool that has little to do with the name brand company. After some research, I've found that this applies to nearly all the name brand articles you buy at large box stores.
Old 11-29-14, 08:31 AM
Jinkster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E View Post
I have enough grief with dual-purpose heads that I would almost rather have two floor pumps -- one for the cars, the other for the bicycles. I currently have two floor pumps, anyway, because the head of one works better on Schraeder, and the head of the other works better on Presta.
That's the beauty of this "Switch Hitter II" head on this Specialized AirTool HP FP...it's got a heavy duty O-ring that "compresses down" and seals on either presta or schrader...and the guy in the vid above was a bad example on that as he actually made it look harder than it really is.

This bike mechanic I have at the LBS named Bruce is a real nice guy who's been extremely helpful every time I walk in...a tall lanky guy who appears to be in his 50's and I'm not certain exactly what his accomplishments have been (haven't gotten to know him that well yet) but more than once I've heard employees there say "If I had Bruce's Skills?"...and he does have a few Trophies and Plaques over his tool boxes in the shop side of the store...and he swore by these $50 specialized floor pumps showing me the two (at the two work stations) they used there for years so that was good enough for me.
Old 11-29-14, 08:59 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Had a Topeak pump that, lost/stripped off, the threads on the retainer for the rod and compression valve after only a few months of use. Now I have a Park Tool PFP-8, Home Mechanic floor pump, so far it has been very reliable, and the large pressure dial is much easier for my old eyes to read. I like the availability of repair parts for the PT pumps.

Some day, when I am independently wealthy, I'll own one of the newest Silca "Ultimate" floor pumps, but $450.00 for a pump is kind of out of my range in the foreseeable future.
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-01-14 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-30-14, 07:52 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ˝DT14

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Some day, when I am independently wealthy, I'll own one of the newest Silca "Ultimate" floor pumps, but $450.00 for a pump is kind of out of my range in the foreseeable future.
I'll pass. I bought their '17-4 Stainless Presta Head' to repair an older, different brand pump, and was taken aback to discover this simple-to-make, $36 part had not been deburred! As delivered to the customer, every machine-cut edge is sharp to the touch. Rather than a part made "using mono-crystaline diamond tooling to get the perfect surface finish, while the final feel of the part benefits from an investigation into more than 20 different styles and depths of knurl so that it will feel 'just-so' in your hands as it provides a lifetime of useful enjoyment", it was the kind of cut-corner workmanship I would have expected out of China fifteen years ago.
Old 12-01-14, 06:46 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
I'll pass. I bought their '17-4 Stainless Presta Head' to repair an older, different brand pump, and was taken aback to discover this simple-to-make, $36 part had not been deburred! As delivered to the customer, every machine-cut edge is sharp to the touch. Rather than a part made "using mono-crystaline diamond tooling to get the perfect surface finish, while the final feel of the part benefits from an investigation into more than 20 different styles and depths of knurl so that it will feel 'just-so' in your hands as it provides a lifetime of useful enjoyment", it was the kind of cut-corner workmanship I would have expected out of China fifteen years ago.
As I will, also, ever having $450.00 for a pump won't happen and there are a lot of things I would use that sum for besides this kind of thing. I should have used a smilie, I suppose, my reply was intended as humorous. My apologies if that offends anyone.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 12-02-14, 08:07 AM
Fred Smedley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going on three years now on the $20.00 WW Zefal. Not a single problem. Perhaps I just got lucky, but it works great! Just hold onto the rim, valve with one hand and pump head with the other , no damaged stems -tubes even latex tubulars.