Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sitting around waiting to go racing.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-22-14, 09:46 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)

Today is El Tour de Tucson day, a big timed event here in town with races/rides at 104, 74, 55, and 40 miles + fun rides (this year they expect over 7k riders). I rode the 40 last year and did pretty well, so I'm riding the 40 again to see if all my training has helped. If I go next year, I'll move up in miles.

Anyway, despite my best efforts to sleep in without having consumed adult beverages, I woke up at my usual time, before six, and my event starts at noon. I've been touching up my wheels, and brakes, cleaning various stuff, and basically just getting the bike and my "race kit" (a team jersey) ready, and now it's done.

The sitting around waiting is the worst.
Old 11-22-14, 09:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
Today is El Tour de Tucson day, a big timed event here in town with races/rides at 104, 74, 55, and 40 miles + fun rides (this year they expect over 7k riders). I rode the 40 last year and did pretty well, so I'm riding the 40 again to see if all my training has helped. If I go next year, I'll move up in miles.

Anyway, despite my best efforts to sleep in without having consumed adult beverages, I woke up at my usual time, before six, and my event starts at noon. I've been touching up my wheels, and brakes, cleaning various stuff, and basically just getting the bike and my "race kit" (a team jersey) ready, and now it's done.

The sitting around waiting is the worst.
HAVE FUN!!!!

Dang, only thing I do morning of event is top off the air. Lots less to remember as I am getting older.
Old 11-22-14, 10:13 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
If you are completely ready to go and can't think of a single thing more to prepare, get out there and mingle, get into conversations, meet and greet and maybe help someone else who may be not quite ready. Enjoy the entire show from beginning, (when you awake), to the end and good luck.
Old 11-22-14, 06:06 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Well, I went, I rode, I met my time goal. If you discount the time it took me to cross the start line (clock starts with the first rider to cross) I beat my time by a a small margin.

The rider traffic was worse than last year, and I spent most of my time dealing with clusters of riders that slowed me down a bit, but that's the way it goes. I still rode the whole thing in a gear higher than last year.

Last year, being type 2 diabetic, I rode myself into really low blood sugar and completely bonked. After the race I had to take steps to bring it back up before I could ride to my pick up point. This year I ate different ride snacks and felt great when I finished.

My biggest issue today was the biggest hill is almost right at the start, and towards the top my legs told me in a big way they weren't warmed up enough to ride the hill that hard, and I had to grab a lower gear when I thought in race mindset I would ride the higher gear to the top (they almost cramped up).

All in all I'm a happy camper today

Last edited by Wileyrat; 11-22-14 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 06:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Super news Rat, glad that the day was so enjoyable, and that you met/exceeded your goals for the event. Managing the diabetes is the thing that impresses me the most, though. doing that speaks well for your discipline, and learning what will work for you. It makes my day to read your posts, too.

Bill
Old 11-22-14, 07:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Great job Wiley! Riding in one harder gear is a big step. I'd like to do El Tour once more, although I wasn't crazy about walking across the washes.