Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Okay...a new saddle is in order for my Hybrid...but which one?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-23-14, 03:25 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And I only want to buy this "ONCE" so the debit cards out and I'm going for what ever is best...but I'm having trouble figuring out what is...so here's my shortlist and the associated neurosis....

1. "Brooks Saddles"

Pros:

Huge following of adoring long term admirers with all the conviction of a dedicated Harley Rider.

Steeped in a wealth of historical quality and longevity.

The one saddle out there that admits break-in periods can be long and painful but worth the wait for a level of comfort like no other where the seat molds to your butt instead of the other way around.

Cons:

Would add an odd dated look to my otherwise modern appearing hybrid.

The one saddle out there that admits break-in periods can be long and painful and many blistered butt disgruntled customers agree.

Questions: If I did go Brooks?...Butt Slot or Not?...Springs for my hard-tail Hybrid or Stay Solid?

2. "Selle Anatomica NSX"

Pros:

Again a legion of admirers who claim...

Out-Of-The-Box Comfort from mile 1.

They're running a $99 Holiday Special at the moment. (wonder why)

Cons:

Quality Issues...involving excessive stretching, tension bolt issues and delamination issues.

3. "Selle SMP"

Pros:

Haven't heard a bad thing about them yet.

Everyone I spoke to who rides them loves them.

Cons:

Very Expensive.

Questions:

Are they well suited for use on a hybrid?

4. "Specialized"

Pros:

My butt loves my Romin Evo when properly adjusted.

Rain is not an issue.

Very reasonable cost for what you get.

Cons:

I used that Romin Evo on my hybrid...it became much harder in a more upright riding position and flat out spanked me over the rough stuff.

Question:

Yet wonder how it would perform when mounted to a sprung stem and/or?...do I want to deal with a sprung stem on what is to be my fitness/commuter all around light touring bike?

All suggestions and advice welcome....T.I.A. Bill.
Old 11-23-14, 05:23 PM
Imabmwnut

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 Kona Esatto

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I bought a Nexride noseless saddle. So far I like it. Takes a little getting used to.
Old 11-23-14, 05:31 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Planet Bike makes a nice saddle. I don't own one,but my wife has one and likes it. They are price well also.https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...classic-saddle
Old 11-23-14, 09:34 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Thanks folks and to update?...

I found that selle smp actually makes a saddle specified and named "Hybrid"...and was nearly sold on name alone when I started reading reviews where some were very pleased with the comfort while a few others were unhappy and several citing a crappy cover material.

Next?...I just chickened out and bailed on a selle anatomica X series in watershed black and even had the saddle sauce and ready to check out but?...wimped out and bailed out because while I'm not sure the NSX model would feel anywhere near as comfy?...I'm also not certain if the X series will hold up to the rigors of light off-roading on my hybrid.

The Brooks are still calling my name but the customer reviews are so skewed in a love'em or loath'em way?...I'm very hesitant there as well...with some claiming they'd never consider any other saddle while others claim them hard as a rock with one review stating he logged 11K miles trying to break it in and it's still as hard and painful as the day it came out of the box.

So at the end of the day?...my wallet remains closed as I'm still confused and unsure...chances are I'll be swinging by the LBS tomorrow to see if they have anything suitable in a specialized with maybe just a touch more padding than my romin evo but after reading all the scathing reviews of the ones I thought I might want?...even another romin evo seems like a safer bet.
Old 11-23-14, 10:09 PM
grampa.sjb

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Surly Disc Trucker, Santa Cruz Blur

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love my Brooks B17! Once I found out that the B17 like a very slight nose-up attitude, (second ride), it's been the most comfortable saddle I'be ridden in 50 years of riding.
Old 11-23-14, 10:23 PM
Route 66

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 & 1995 Cannondale H400

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by grampa.sjb View Post
I love my Brooks B17! Once I found out that the B17 like a very slight nose-up attitude, (second ride), it's been the most comfortable saddle I'be ridden in 50 years of riding.
Interesting. It seems counterintuitive to tilt the front of the saddle up, rather than down so that there's less chance of it pressing against the perineum. I haven't had the best of luck with my B17 and maybe it's because I keep tiling the front of it down, instead of up.
Old 11-23-14, 10:33 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by grampa.sjb View Post
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Interesting. It seems counterintuitive to tilt the front of the saddle up, rather than down so that there's less chance of it pressing against the perineum. I haven't had the best of luck with my B17 and maybe it's because I keep tiling the front of it down, instead of up.
see what i mean?
Old 11-24-14, 04:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
The Brooks are still calling my name but the customer reviews are so skewed in a love'em or loath'em way?...I'm very hesitant there as well...with some claiming they'd never consider any other saddle while others claim them hard as a rock with one review stating he logged 11K miles trying to break it in and it's still as hard and painful as the day it came out of the box.
I've found Brooks saddles to be comfortable right out of the box (I have five Brooks "Professionals" and two Brooks B-66 saddles). But saddles can be quite idiosyncratic; your best bet is to try several and see what works for you. Some shops offer test saddles you can ride for a week or two before purchase. And Wallingford bike has a six month unconditional return policy on their Brooks and Berthoud saddles:

Guarantee | wallbike.com | wallbike.com
Old 11-24-14, 06:12 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Since you like the Romin Evo, you might take a look at the Specialized Toupe. It comes in different models with different levels of padding. It is flatter than the Romin and may work for you in a more upright position. The Specialized website ( Specialized Bicycle Components ) shows a Toupe Sport for $35 that they describe as plush. Might be worth a look. Good luck in your search.

P2
Old 11-24-14, 07:47 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
I have a B-17, which I dearly love - attitude is almost perfectly level, level enuf that I don't slide around on it unless I want to/ took probably 2000 miles to break in - or break together.

I just bought a Selle AnAtomica, watershed X series, and it did feel comfortable right out of the bag, but only have a few very short rides on it because the weather turned sour.

Both can be had for right at or under 100 right now, google shopping is your friend. QBP is participating in the AnAtomica sale, so you can get it from your local bike shop at the sale price. I'm treating my AnAtomica with Brooks Proofhide, because I don't want the leather to get softer and stretchier. Saddle sauce looks, smells, and feels like Lexol, which does protect, nourish, and soften leather. I want to keep it somewhat hard and slippery.

That being said, I have never ridden an uncomfortable Specialized Body Geometry Saddle.....................
Old 11-24-14, 02:00 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
That being said, I have never ridden an uncomfortable Specialized Body Geometry Saddle.....................
Decision and Purchase Made....ran too the LBS lunch time and grabbed a...

155 Toupe Comp Gel.
Old 11-24-14, 05:11 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
That response is worthless without pictures ------ you should know that....................
Old 11-24-14, 06:01 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
That response is worthless without pictures ------ you should know that....................
OOOooooHHH OOoooooKAaaaaY....if you insist and I must. LOL!

This first pic I took here is to show just how much more thigh clearance I gained with the deeply cut Toupe Comp Gel over the stock Targa...

This 2nd pic is to show how "much more softly sweeping" the sculpted thigh radius of the Toupe is over the sharp cornered Targa....

Yet the Toupe Comp Gel offers up a dramatically broader/flatter sit-bone surface as compared too my beloved Romin Evo Comp Gel....and yes....they are both size "155"

Yet both of these saddles are nothing short of Stellar when mated to the appropriate type of bike and riding position....

I couldn't wait to get home tonight and mount it up and did get to do a few laps around the block several times getting it rough dialed in and?...I actually think I'm done...matter fact?...it was heads and tails better from the first "eyeball set-up" and just got more fantastically comfortable from there...with the only move made being setting it back just a smidgeon (from initial) which achieved tons of thigh clearance with zero chaff points felt even moving fore and aft a bit......and?...very supportive for the more upright riding position of my hybrid which btw?...I might make mention that....

Even though my Crosstrail Disc Hybrid is a "Dual Sport/Fitness" kind of deal?....(where it's supposed to do "Both Well" road/dirt?)....my intent is to lean things more towards the "Flatbar RB That Can"...

CROSS....a few hundred yards of nasty stuff whenever the need arises to get back on a decent paved road again. LOL!...which is...often times encountered in my local riding area...and this is the goal that guided my purchase decision...along with keeping my butt happy! LOL!

and the Specialized Toupe Comp Gel is most definitely a welcome addition...the kind folks at the LBS told me to just hang onto my receipt and the cardboard backer panel and I have 7 days to return it for any reason....and so far?...from what I experienced tonight?...they can keep the money because so far I'm extremely pleased with how this saddle is working out on my hybrid...also?...I went to specialized website yesterday (while I was going nuts looking/shopping) and they had this "Help Me Find A Saddle" feature I clicked on...and in the boxes I checked...

Road/Mens/Upright and this IS the saddle that came up.

Thanks everybody and L8R, Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
toupe1.jpg (45.3 KB, 24 views)
toupe2.jpg (41.1 KB, 23 views)
toupe4.jpg (38.9 KB, 24 views)
toupe3.jpg (47.4 KB, 23 views)