Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Bar Ends...not sure if I have these mounted properly but...

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-26-14, 03:40 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

They sure feel great!

Actually?...I swung by the LBS tonight after work because last night while trying and testing out my new specialized toupe comp gel saddle (which btw felt great at first) my sit-bones were starting to feel a bit of pressure about 5 miles into it...so I reached my hand "back there" to try and feel what was going on between my butt and the new saddle and that's when I realized that my $30 (on sale) bike shorts from sports authority had stopped being a "Butt Pad" and turned into an expensive jock strap...so I repositioned them and 1/2 mile of pedaling later?...they were a jock strap again with nothing but a thin layer of lycra between my sit-bones and the (padding level II) saddle...so I bought a pair of bibs...specialized BG comp....I'm sure they're a lower line of bib for $75 and could've got'em cheaper on the net but...I wanna ride in comfort and enjoy myself this holiday weekend and?...I guess I just donated a few bucks to help keep the lights on at the LBS and really?...I don't mind at all because they've been so helpful and even given me a bunch of little things free of charge including mechanical support so...but while I was there?...I remembered that....

BFN Member "Wanderer" had mentioned I should get a set of bar ends to have another hand position to go too on this new-too-me, first ever, Hybrid...and I know he is right as that's the one thing I miss on this hybrid as opposed to my RB where I have 3 great hand positions to go to?...the hybrid had only (1)...on some fantastic feeling ergon palm pad grips that came as an upgrade with this slightly used bike when I bought it...and while they didn't have the particular model Wanderer mentioned?...I sort of just looked around and "Bit & Pieced Things Together" buying a set of surprisingly light aluminum "Origin8" bar ends ($11.99) and some cheapy Sunlite Foam Grips ($4.99) to go over them (just so my old hands don't get cold) and for $16 plus tax wound up with this for bar ends...

I have no clue if I have them mounted properly but they do feel great where they're at and the ride is looking sharp and feeling real comfy...

all I got at the moment...sorry it was such a short post. LOL!

Thanks for looking and Ride Safe! Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
be1.jpg (98.8 KB, 31 views)
be2.jpg (46.5 KB, 37 views)
be3.jpg (39.1 KB, 32 views)
be4.jpg (44.2 KB, 30 views)
be5.jpg (99.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-26-14, 04:07 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
You mount them how they are comfortable to you......... watch for a set of P2s for your hybrid, and you can move those to your other dirt bike.
Old 11-26-14, 04:20 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6174 Post(s)
not too weird.. I just happen to like the Ergon integrated combination GR 5, and 3 , on my bikes, Better.

but you feel a need for a mirror too... so be it.
Old 11-26-14, 04:38 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
not too weird.. I just happen to like the Ergon integrated combination GR 5, and 3 , on my bikes, Better.

That is the problem with the integrated ends. They take flexibility away from you - and mirrors are nice!

Which is what is also nice about those P2 ends - they look integrated, feel rubbery, and are rock solid. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...rendz-bar-ends

Last edited by Wanderer; 11-26-14 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 04:47 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6174 Post(s)
But they gain a smooth transition around the corner .. I lay my open palm over the grip/bar end combination, as a quite comfortable place.

Depends on how you are defining 'integrated'.. the Ergon GR 2,3,4,5.. grip and bar end are independently adjusted separately,
then the single bolt holds them fast.

the Phorm line from Ergon is one piece their short bar end is molded in as one . different product line.. lower cost too.

Know nothing about the traffic where you are... Here, I just turn around and Look , myself..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-26-14 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 04:48 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
You mount them how they are comfortable to you......... watch for a set of P2s for your hybrid, and you can move those to your other dirt bike.
Sounds like a plan...thanks again Wanderer!

Yeah...these particular Ergons were not my choice and came with this slightly used crosstrail disc and they are super comfy and I find they feel great but then again?...I never knew such nice grips even existed until they came ON/With this bike! LOL!

as for the mirror on a hybrid?...I guess I'll just admit to being weird there as I didn't purchase this hybrid with dreams of screaming through wooded trails....I bought it because the pavement in the local area I ride here is "Chunky Style" in many places and?...I also encounter quite a few routes where I need to leave pavement and cut through single track grass trails to get to sidewalks and?...a lot of places I'd need to get off my RB and walk it across or risk folding a wheel or wadding myself up so?...I'm flavoring this Xtrail hybrid more towards being a go anywhere flatbar RB...where often times I do ride the shoulders of roads where there are none....hence the mirror.
Old 11-26-14, 04:51 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

But they gain a smooth transition around the corner .. I lay my open palm over the grip/bar end combination, as a quite comfortable place.

the Ergon grip and bar end are independently adjusted then the single bolt holds them fast.

Know nothing about the traffic where you are... Here, I just turn around and Look , myself..
Their serious drawback, is their inability to accept a bar end mounted mirror. The Specialized ones do that.
Old 11-26-14, 04:55 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Another aside to this conversation - I have both Ergon GP-1 grips, and Specialized Ergonomic grips. They are both very similar, except the Specialized ones are slightly more flexible, and therefor more comfortable....... And, I am a big fan of Ergon Grips - but the Specialized grips are worth looking at. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...-locking-grips
Old 11-26-14, 05:34 PM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Another aside to this conversation - I have both Ergon GP-1 grips, and Specialized Ergonomic grips. They are both very similar, except the Specialized ones are slightly more flexible, and therefor more comfortable....... And, I am a big fan of Ergon Grips - but the Specialized grips are worth looking at. Specialized Bicycle Components
Got it...looks like those and the P2's will be on order!
Old 11-26-14, 10:00 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Whenever I used bar ends - before crossing over to recumbent bikes - mine were generally pointed more forward than upward.
Whatever works for you is what you want, but it's very easy to vary the position till you find the sweet spot.
Old 11-26-14, 11:10 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
I set the bar ends on my mountain bike such that my wrists are in a neutral/straight position when I am in the saddle. I would not ride a flat bar without them.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-27-14, 04:55 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jinkster View Post
I have no clue if I have them mounted properly but they do feel great where they're at and the ride is looking sharp and feeling real comfy...
There is only one person in the whole world who that bicycle has to make happy. If you think your bar ends look and feel good, they're mounted properly.
Old 11-27-14, 04:57 AM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by John E View Post
I set the bar ends on my mountain bike such that my wrists are in a neutral/straight position when I am in the saddle. I would not ride a flat bar without them.
That the position I shot for and adjusted them too....a Square/Neutral zero angle wrist when seated...only way that made sense to me and wound up feeling very comfortable.
Old 11-27-14, 05:01 AM
Jinkster

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
There is only one person in the whole world who that bicycle has to make happy. If you think your bar ends look and feel good, they're mounted properly.
Thanks Retro...I was sort of figuring as much but wasn't certain I wasn't committing some unforeseen safety no-no...and yes....I really like them...feel like they turned my flatbar hybrid into a major workout machine...and Lord knows I need it! LOL!
Old 11-27-14, 11:45 AM
Jinkster

Even though it may seem I'm posting too myself at this point?...i'm not. LOL!....as BFN member Wanderer PM'ed me wondering if maybe I didn't have them reversed...I laughed and responded with...

Well if I switch them the short sides will be pointed outwards like hooks..not good.

He then kindly straightened me out by stating that's not want he meant...claiming if I did it would get the ends more level and on plane instead of pointed upwards...and that's when I realized I was thinking on the wrong plane...(which me being a machinist I often times do. LOL!)...so then I spent about 10 minutes trying to flip them in my mind and decide if he was right when I realized...ya know?...it would take me about 5 minutes to just do it and find out for certain...so I did...and huge thanks to Wanderer for a nice catch and looking out for me as the question of this thread has been answered correctly...and yes...I did have them on wrong...it didn't seem readily apparent to me in this pic of the original install.....

But thanks to Wanderers far more experienced eye?...and me trying his suggestion?...somehow it seems a certain "dork factor" has mysteriously gone away.....

Thanks again Wanderer!..and Happy Thanksgiving to all! Bill.

Edit/PS: One things for sure...besides the improved "makes sense" appearance?....I'll stand far less of a chance of catching one through the chest should I flip it! LOL!
Attached Images
flip1.jpg (95.9 KB, 12 views)
flip2.jpg (82.2 KB, 12 views)