Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Meeting Up With BF50+ Members Off the Bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Meeting Up With BF50+ Members Off the Bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
One of my writing tasks is providing Colorado state legislators information and advocacy material regarding disability issues, specifically for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. If the paper we provide is more than one page, or contains a lot of quotes and the like, we know they will not read it, and the effort is lost. Ditto with me - I don't spend a lot of time and effort to read convoluted material.
Hi DF,

I tried to send this note as a PM, but since you are not receving them, I'll send it entre nous, FWIW:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
..Thanks for that reply. Entre nous, you really struck a nerve. My job also is to write important, legally binding albeit prosaic reports in a professionally defined style, using proper, so-called “business-writing” English (e.g. Strunk and White’s ”Elements of Style”). I also pride myself to be complete and concise…
Hi DF,

Thanks for your initial, and follow up reply on this thread. Another point of similarity between you and I, best noted on a PM, is that we have a severely developmentally disabled. autistic 18 year old daughter. My wife is particularly her advocate, and is involved in autism activism. She is also a good writer. When we were still in college she gave me a seemingly obvious tip, to write as if your reader knows nothing about your subject so my approach to brevity is also tempered by the need to be explanatory.

When she delivered a victim impact statement at the trial after my cycling accident it was a powerful message, delivered point by point, and she did not keep it brief.

I continue to read your posts whenever I encounter them.

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 12-08-14, 07:43 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi DF,

I tried to send this note as a PM, but since you are not receving them, I'll send it entre nous, FWIW:

Hi DF,

Thanks for your initial, and follow up reply on this thread. Another point of similarity between you and I, best noted on a PM, is that we have a severely developmentally disabled. autistic 18 year old daughter. My wife is particularly her advocate, and is involved in autism activism. She is also a good writer. When we were still in college she gave me a seemingly obvious tip, to write as if your reader knows nothing about your subject so my approach to brevity is also tempered by the need to be explanatory.

When she delivered a victim impact statement at the trial after my cycling accident it was a powerful message, delivered point by point, and she did not keep it brief.

I continue to read your posts whenever I encounter them.

Sincerely,

Jim
Looks like my husband, DnvrFox has been locked out of BFN and can't receive or reply or PM or anything.

Contact him at ****************
Old 12-08-14, 07:46 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoraFox
Looks like my husband, DnvrFox has been locked out of BFN and can't receive or reply or PM or anything.

Last edited by Dannihilator; 12-08-14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-08-14, 08:25 AM

Hi DF,

Originally Posted by NoraFox

Basically my message to him was as posted above on this thread, just noting some mutual interests in common.

Sorry if I "hijacked" it, Miss Kenton. I did hesitate posting, thinking it might be TMI.
Old 12-08-14, 10:14 AM

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RideMyWheel
I have to confess I chuckled when I read "Bill & Monica." I'm sure they did, too, 16 or so years ago.
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I can assure you that there was never, ever any enjoyment about those two despicable people, only disgust, not political either. Thanks for bring up a sore point for us.
Please accept my apology.
Old 12-08-14, 10:33 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I don’t read C&V, but I note that of the 20 names he mentioned, about seven post to that Metro Boston thread. So he must really get around.... Recognizing jmm’s writing style, I’m sure he misspelled “missspellled” intentinonlly.
Not that I mean to be name-dropping or inflationary here but I realized I forgot at least two names, spiker and jonwvara. We have had some pretty well-attended community C&V rides in the northeast, especially the bi-annual CCRT runs. It's a great community!

JFB, were you copying my tpying style when you tpyed "intentinolly"?
Old 12-09-14, 12:37 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I had forgotten the name of Jim Muller's band to hunt for some of his and Sharon's you tube videos. Finally found them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9xbzFSgbrA
Old 12-10-14, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Miss Kenton, how fortunate you are to have spent some face-to-face time with some of those you've met on this forum. I find that such meetings are always interesting, if for nothing else than to find out if the mental image you have matches the reality of the person. Often, I'm surprised.
Old 01-14-15, 07:27 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Is there a thread about a 201 50+ Annual Ride? I can't find one. I am seriously considering going to the Bicycle Times Adventure Fest at Lake Raystown Resort in Entriken, Pennsylvania, the weekend of October 9-11, 2015. It looks like a great venue, a wide variety of ride options and plenty of opportunities to meet up on and off the bikes. I might even be able to sell this one to my wife since the 9th will be my 60th birthday!
Old 01-14-15, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Is there a thread about a 201 50+ Annual Ride? I can't find one...
As a fairly frequent participant in the Annual Rides since 2010, I keep my eye out for announcements. I posted this earlier today on the Fifty-Plus thread, ”What Cycling Events do you have in mind for 2015?”

The Annual Rides he [DnvFox] initiated have veritably defined my cycling year as I train for them.

… Myself and a few other Fifty-Plus subscribers [including the Kentons] have been together on a few, some up to about four of the preceding eight [Fifty-Plus Annual] rides, but it seems that the idea of Fifty-Plus Annual Rides has been waning recently….
Of note, Dnvr Fox has made a proposal for a 7th Annual Ride for next year in Santa Fe, NM (too far for me). I had hosted two Rides in Boston in 2013 and 2014. I enjoy these gatherings so much, that I am considering the idea of a couple of “Boston Bicycling Weekends” next summer.

Originally Posted by irwin7638
…I was hoping for a Boston ride this year if nothing interferes again.
Old 01-15-15, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Is there a thread about a 201 50+ Annual Ride? I can't find one. I am seriously considering going to the Bicycle Times Adventure Fest at Lake Raystown Resort in Entriken, Pennsylvania, the weekend of October 9-11, 2015. It looks like a great venue, a wide variety of ride options and plenty of opportunities to meet up on and off the bikes. I might even be able to sell this one to my wife since the 9th will be my 60th birthday!
BD, I checked the ride site and the host resort. THIS looks like a really nice event. Hmmmm...
Old 01-15-15, 09:51 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
They are the second family we have had the pleasure of sharing a meal with, from BF and the 50+, Rowan and Machka stopped by in November 2012 while on their around the world tour, and we all celebrated my birthday, with soup for supper and some homemade pecan pie, with all of our family.
We really enjoyed that too! Getting together on your birthday wasn't a planned thing, but I'm so glad it worked out that way ... really nice. So good to meet you and your family.
Old 01-16-15, 06:11 AM

Is there a thread about a 2015 50+ Annual Ride? I can't find one. I am seriously considering going to the Bicycle Times Adventure Fest at Lake Raystown Resort in Entriken, Pennsylvania, the weekend of October 9-11, 2015. It looks like a great venue, a wide variety of ride options and plenty of opportunities to meet up on and off the bikes. I might even be able to sell this one to my wife since the 9th will be my 60th birthday!

Originally Posted by miss kenton
BD, I checked the ride site and the host resort. THIS looks like a really nice event. Hmmmm...
I also checked them out, and if BD is making a nomination for the Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Ride, I will second that. I think the event and venue looks as good, if not better, than the premier (IMO) Second Annual Ride in Watkins Glen in 2010.

The location is pretty central for the East Coast and Mid-Atlantic states, and could be accessible to the South (BD is from from Georgia) and Midwest. It is a doable one-day drive from Boston.

• schedule time off from work: one driving day, 3-4 (weekend days) for ride and hanging out, one return day
  • train with winter commuting, then intensify in mid March
  • ask Family permission to go away for week end (they probably would not want to go)
  • arrange accommodations
  • pre-ride bike check at LBS
  • rent car if necessary
  • map driving route (~500 miles)
  • pack

The Annual Rides...define my cycling year as I train for them.
PS: I just posted this to the Fifty-Plus thread, ”What Cycling Events do you have in mind for 2015?”:

See this proposal for a Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Ride in Pennsylvania on the Fifty-Plus thread, ”Meeting Up With BF50+ Members Off the Bike.”
Anybody want to start a “Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Ride in Pennsylvania” thread?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-16-15 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 01-16-15, 06:41 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We really enjoyed that too! Getting together on your birthday wasn't a planned thing, but I'm so glad it worked out that way ... really nice. So good to meet you and your family.
It made our day, too, Machka, totally unplanned for the date, but really glad that it happened that way.

Jim, does this mean that no work will be planning will happen towards a Boston ride this year?

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-16-15, 06:47 AM

...Jim, does this mean that no work will be planning will happen towards a Boston ride this year?
Thanks for asking.

A "Boston Bicycliing Weekend" or two is still on my agenda for this summer, but the Pensylvania site and time sounds very inviting, and would extend my cycling "nice weather" season. Often multiple sites are suggested for an Annual Ride, and in 2013 there were three.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-16-15 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 06:54 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Thanks, Jim, I'll just keep watching here for updates. Appreciate the reply.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-16-15, 05:50 PM

...Jim, does this mean that no work will be planning will happen towards a Boston ride this year?

A "Boston Bicycliing Weekend" or two is still on my agenda for this summer

Thanks, Jim, I'll just keep watching here for updates.
Like the Beatles song, “Here, there, and everywhere…(on Fifty-Plus)”

Originally Posted by miss kenton
… It in's nice to see that no matter how old we get, you're still able to get a blatant plug in for the Boston ride!
Old 01-16-15, 06:07 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I also checked them out, and if BD is making a nomination for the Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Ride, I will second that. I think the event and venue looks as good, if not better, than the premier (IMO) Second Annual Ride in Watkins Glen in 2010.

The location is pretty central for the East Coast and Mid-Atlantic states, and could be accessible to the South (BD is from from Georgia) and Midwest. It is a doable one-day drive from Boston.

PS: I just posted this to the Fifty-Plus thread, ”What Cycling Events do you have in mind for 2015?”:

Anybody want to start a “Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Ride in Pennsylvania” thread?

The beauty of building a Annual 50+ ride into this ride is because it is affordable, we can all see the variety of accommodations, and it is being hosted by an organization, therefore, no one here has to take on the responsibility (or as others post liability ) for the ride. If you are interested, sign up and show up! Although tsl did a lot of research as a gift to us for the Watkins' Glen ride, like the Watkins' Glen ride, the simplicity of this organized ride could make it a very successful 50+ ride.
Old 01-16-15, 07:44 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I had forgotten the name of Jim Muller's band to hunt for some of his and Sharon's you tube videos. Finally found them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9xbzFSgbrA
Being in NC I'm partial to this one! (Jim-what is the scoop behind this one?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tApExSwwe6U
Old 01-16-15, 07:55 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That is very intriguing!!
Old 01-16-15, 10:35 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Being in NC I'm partial to this one! (Jim-what is the scoop behind this one?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tApExSwwe6U
Ah! Thanks for asking. It has nothing to do with bicycles.

True story: It was back around '94, I think. We were on our way to play a bluegrass festival at Grandfather Mountain, in September IIRC. We had driven south through Roanoke and picked up 421 west. It was a sultry hot day but a cold front was predicted to come through driving a line of strong thunderstorms. Back then all the highway rest stops in NC had big TVs showing the Weather Channel so we had advance warning of what we were in for.

I was driving. Somewhere west of Winston-Salem the sky ahead of us developed a weird gray/black color inversion. I realized there was no traffic coming towards us on the other side of the road. Then the wind picked up and I started seeing branches in the road. Five minutes later it started raining hard, and we figured the smart thing to do was to pull off the road and wait it out. I pulled into a small lot, one solitary light pole standing in the middle, surrounded by what looked like pretty deep woods. The storm picked up and the sky grew dark as night approached. A few other cars pulled in too. We waited it out for a few hours with lightning striking all around us and rain flowing from the sky like water.

At one point we flipped on the van's radio and hit the scan button. The FM band had nuthin', zippo, zilch. The search on the AM band stopped on a station playing Gospel music. We hit the scan button again and it came back around to the same station. At that point we figured maybe we ought to leave it right where it was.

Eventually the storms blew over and we continued on our way westward, but I said I had to write a song about it. That became the title track of our 3rd CD, Carolina Lightning, and hit #13 on Bluegrass Unlimited's national airplay chart for single songs. We still perform it.
Old 01-17-15, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
The Entriken, Pennsylvania ride looks like a promising opportunity for some fun. It will bookend a couple of events I have going on locally.

Marc
Old 01-17-15, 05:26 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Over the years I have met a number of wonderful people through bicycling and through BF. Several years ago I had a delightful dinner with Denver and Nora when they were visiting Carlsbad CA, and I lent Rainman a bike for a week when a business conference brought him to downtown San Diego. I and another BFer took him on bike tours of La Jolla and Point Loma, and he reported having a great time.

All of us are rooting for Bill through his health problems.
I've seen a few of the Michigan members of 50+ on the One Helluva Ride: Irwin, Freedomrider (Ohio, really!), Blazing Pedals. At the annual Ann Arbor Antique Bicycle Swap I've run into CB400Bill a few times, and I've been to his house to check out some wheels. I don't want to forget mentioning Rtool, who also came up from Ohio. On the OHR-based Annual 50+ Ride (I think this one was the fifth?) I also met Jim from Boston, who combined the OHR, 50+ get=together, and reminiscent tour of Ann Arbor to come out to the Midwest. Very enjoyable visits, all!
Old 01-17-15, 05:34 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
The only concrete riding plans I have are the Detroit Randonneurs 200 West 200k brevet, 4/25/15 leaving from Canton, MI (in between Detroit and Ann Arbor), and the OHR in July. In May I like to do the Metro Grand Spring Tour in a chain of Metroparks southeast of Detroit, and I hope I can be free for the Shoreline MUP again and the Assenmacher 100.
Old 01-18-15, 03:05 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...11-2015-a.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.