Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Meeting Up With BF50+ Members Off the Bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-01-14, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Last month, I posted a photo on the "What do You Look Like" thread about a meet-up my husband and I had with Jim from Boston. We had an opportunity to have dinner with him when he visited Philadelphia for business and shared a really fun evening:

Over Thanksgiving weekend, we were visiting my son and his new wife in Pensacola. We had a chance to meet up will Bill (qcpmsame) and his lovely wife, Monica. We took advantage of this, and gave him a call. Bill and Monica came right down to where we were, and Monica introduced us to a great restaurant where we had dinner together.

My thoughts are that Monica is as sweet as Bill portrays her in his posts, and for a man who has experienced a number of serious health issues, Bill's fit appearance doesn't give one any clues of that. Tom and I had a great time with them! Bill has a good deal of interesting and informative life experiences in Pensacola and graciously shared them with us and my son and daughter-in-law when they stopped by the restaurant to join us. As a USAF CSO, my son truly enjoyed his tales of work at NAS Pensacola.

Meeting up with 50+ members, on or off the bike, has proven to be a wonderful experience for me, and I highly recommend it to others who get the opportunity to do so. It is a great adventure to meet in person the people you spend time conversing with online, and lends a whole new dimension to the community.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bill and Monica.jpg (48.3 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg
Jim fromBoston.jpg (96.3 KB, 390 views)
Old 12-02-14, 06:22 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Very nice!
Old 12-02-14, 07:20 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Very cool!...would love to meet (and ride) with some forum members myself someday.
Old 12-02-14, 07:32 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Getting to meet Diane and Tom, as well as their son and daughter-in-law, was a treat for us. They are the second family we have had the pleasure of sharing a meal with, from BF and the 50+, Rowan and Machka stopped by in November 2012 while on their around the world tour, and we all celebrated my birthday, with soup for supper and some homemade pecan pie, with all of our family. Diane, your son and daughter-in-law were a treat to get to meet, too. She is definitely a keeper for him!!!

When you and Tom come for his winging please let us know what the schedule for graduation is, if visitors will be allowed for the ceremony. Those are nice occasions to attend and so special for everyone involved. Thanks for inviting us to join in with your family for dinner.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-02-14, 07:46 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Wow ... you guys look great! Meeting new people is one of the things I love about cycling.

BTW: Pensacola is a RAD name.

Old 12-02-14, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
Last month, I posted a photo on the "What do You Look Like" thread about a meet-up my husband and I had with Jim from Boston. We had an opportunity to have dinner with him when he visited Philadelphia for business and shared a really fun evening:
Hi Miss Kenton,

Thanks for that reminiscence; Tom’s selfie of us came out better IMO, than the one I posted about that evening,”What do you look like?” It was very nice to read your post about Bill and Monica, since he is such a presence on this Fifty-Plus Forum.

Originally Posted by miss kenton
Meeting up with 50+ members, on or off the bike, has proven to be a wonderful experience for me, and I highly recommend it to others who get the opportunity to do so. It is a great adventure to meet in person the people you spend time conversing with online, and lends a whole new dimension to the community

Originally Posted by Jinkster
Very cool!...would love to meet (and ride) with some forum members myself someday.

Originally Posted by Biker395
Wow ... you guys look great! Meeting new people is one of the things I love about cycling.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Myself and a few other Fifty-Plus subscribers [including the Kentons] have been together on a few, some up to about four of the preceding eight [Fifty-Plus Annual] rides, but it seems that the idea of Fifty-Plus Annual Rides has been waning recently. I think all the participants have had a good time, as members of Fifty-Plus, for example with these comments from Ride V in Boston last year:

… Besides meeting these E-acquaintances face-to-face, it is also much fun to meet them as residents of Bike Forums and especially Fifty Plus. None of my own personal circle know much of the Forums whereas those attending the Annual Rides are now face-to-face acquaintances and also know the other personalities on the Forums…

Of note, Dnvr Fox has made a proposal for a 7th Annual Ride for next year in Santa Fe, NM (too far for me). I had hosted two Rides in Boston in 2013 and 2014. I enjoy these gatherings so much, that I am considering the idea of a couple of “Boston Bicycling Weekends” next summer.
Old 12-02-14, 10:50 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Its Cranberry Bogs and Oysters, across the River from Me .. Pacific County WA.

Dunginess Crab Season has started .
Old 12-02-14, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great thread, Miss Kenton.
My meetings with 50+ forum members have been on the bike. rick@occr a couple of times on the Hemet double, and Biker395 at the Eastern Sierra double. rick@occr and Biker395 also met a friend of mine this summer at the HooDoo 500 in Utah
Old 12-02-14, 01:21 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
What is this "off the bike" you refer to? I have met many of the 50+ forum members but it's always been on the bike (or very close to the bike!).

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-03-14, 02:41 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've only met two, Digital Gee and BikeArkansas, but I knew BikeArkansas in real life before I discovered him here as well.

I let DG try out the bike I had rented and we went out for pizza.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 12-03-14 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 11:34 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Over the years I have met a number of wonderful people through bicycling and through BF. Several years ago I had a delightful dinner with Denver and Nora when they were visiting Carlsbad CA, and I lent Rainman a bike for a week when a business conference brought him to downtown San Diego. I and another BFer took him on bike tours of La Jolla and Point Loma, and he reported having a great time.

All of us are rooting for Bill through his health problems.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-03-14, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by az_cyclist
My meetings with 50+ forum members have been on the bike. rick@occr a couple of times on the Hemet double, and Biker395 at the Eastern Sierra double…

Originally Posted by Artkansas
I've only met two, Digital Gee and BikeArkansas…

Originally Posted by John E
Over the years I have met a number of wonderful people through bicycling and through BF… Denver and Nora when they were visiting Carlsbad CA, and I lent Rainman a bike for a week when a business conference brought him to downtown San Diego. ….
Since we’re naming names,

… Myself and a few other Fifty-Plus subscribers [including the Kentons] have been together on a few, some up to about four of the preceding eight [Fifty-Plus Annual] rides, but it seems that the idea of Fifty-Plus Annual Rides has been waning recently…
FYA, there is a Fifty-Plus thread, "A Chronicle of 50+ Annual Rides" that lists all the participants, venues, and postings of those gatherings. It used to be a “sticky” but was mysteriously and unceremoniously dumped.
Old 12-04-14, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
All of the 50+ members I've had the privilege of meeting are very interesting people. Barretscv, tsl, Billydonn, and jdon. (Sure hoping I didn't forget any) Hoping to grow that list.
Old 12-04-14, 07:01 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
I've kind of done the opposite and got a person to join bikeforums.net.
Old 12-05-14, 06:15 AM
Semper Fi

^^^, +1, Bill, well done, that. Get them here so they can receive encouragement to continue cycling.

Bill(Ol' Twitchy)

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-05-14, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've met up with Jimmuller and Sharon from the Boston area where we rode to state campgrounds. In the last tour, we had quite a jolly troupe of about 8 people or so. Not only are Jim and Sharon fine folks, they play some fine bluegrass.
Old 12-05-14, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've met a couple of folks from this Board in person and enjoyed it. I've made plans to meet others. But, so far life has gotten in the way. Burt, I'm not giving up quite yet.
Old 12-05-14, 12:57 PM

Bikes: 2014 Felt Z100, 1987 Schwinn Sierra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to confess I chuckled when I read "Bill & Monica." I'm sure they did, too, 16 or so years ago.
Old 12-05-14, 05:29 PM
Semper Fi

I can assure you that there was never, ever any enjoyment about those two despicable people, only disgust, not political either. Thanks for bring up a sore point for us.
Old 12-05-14, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by RideMyWheel
I have to confess I chuckled when I read "Bill & Monica." I'm sure they did, too, 16 or so years ago.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Bill & Monica)
I can assure you that there was never, ever any enjoyment about those two despicable people, only disgust, not political either. Thanks for bring up a sore point for us.
I have to confess that I didn’t understand the first quote until I read the second.

Originally Posted by berner
I've met up with Jimmuller and Sharon from the Boston area where we rode to state campgrounds…Not only are Jim and Sharon fine folks, they play some fine bluegrass.
Like B&M above, also not to be confused with Jim from Boston and my wife Sharon. (I too have also met jimmuller and Sharon in person and agree with that opinion, though I have not heard their music, but have read the reviews). We’ve both been married for the same number of years, and I have occasionally kidded him about the similarities.

Originally Posted by jimmuller
…It was a good day,

Then my sweetie and I took our canoe out the Assabet River. A very pleasant afternoon.

It was a good day.

Then my sweetie and I went dining and ballroom dancing in Malden. A fabulous evening.
Slightly off topic to this thread, I have wondered how frequently subscribers post PM exchanges? I know PM’s are supposed to remain private, as well as the involved individuals, but I am curious about general experiences. Myself, I have corresponded with nine of the subscribers mentioned in this thread, as well as many other individuals. My exchanges have ranged from perfunctory, and often unrequited notes, to brief exchanges of information, occasional friendly chit-chats, to engaging conversations. Since 2008, I have sent 2735 PM’s and received 1785.

I also occasionally engage in “entre nous” conversations, if you will, of a few posts in length on some public threads, when a particular subscriber and I have some interest in common to both of us. A particularly fertile thread for such conversations is the local thread on the Northeast Regional Discussion thread, “Metro Boston: Good ride today?.” I have described the ambiance as:

…we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-06-14 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-06-14, 08:33 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Great thread! JFB pointed me here and it does not disappoint.

My sweetie Sharon and I have had the good fortune to meet and ride with quite a few BF members. Haven't met anyone yet that wasn't the very best you could imagine. All fine folk indeed! Of course that includes JFB and berner.

Other members we've met and had the pleasure of riding with, people who are perhaps more often seen in the C&V than the 50+, include pastorbobnlnh, southpawboston, nlerner, ScottRyder, Ed., top506, BluesDaddy, sherborpeddler, ZIPP2001, cmolway, otg, JJScaliger, rootboy, bikemore, rholland1951, noglider, photogravity, ftwelder, bishbike, bikinggrrl. There are a few more I've missed or whose names I've misssspelllled or can't even remember. A few seem to have disappeared, all to our loss.

Riding a bike is great, but making new friends and riding with them is even better!
Old 12-06-14, 09:18 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I sponsored a BFN 50+ rDenver area ide and met lots of folks - all who have left, I believe. Then we had our first annual ride in Glenwood Springs, CO, where I met about 13 - all but one charming. But all of these were bike related. John E, as mentioned by him, and Nora and I enjoyed fish dinner in Carlsbad, CA - off the bike.
Old 12-07-14, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Great thread! JFB pointed me here and it does not disappoint…

Other members we've met and had the pleasure of riding with, people who are perhaps more often seen in the C&V than the 50+, include pastorbobnlnh, southpawboston, nlerner, ScottRyder, Ed., top506, BluesDaddy, sherborpeddler, ZIPP2001, cmolway, otg, JJScaliger, rootboy, bikemore, rholland1951, noglider, photogravity, ftwelder, bishbike, bikinggrrl. There are a few more I've missed or whose names I've misssspelllled or can't even remember. A few seem to have disappeared, all to our loss.

Riding a bike is great, but making new friends and riding with them is even better!

…I have thought of that [Metro Boston] thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales...
I know jmm from that Metro Boston thread, where we even have nicknames for each other, and he is an active contributor. I don’t read C&V, but I note that of the 20 names he mentioned, about seven post to that Metro Boston thread. So he must really get around. I do recognize noglider, but he is from NYC. Recognizing jmm’s writing style, I’m sure he misspelled “missspellled” intentinonlly.

Spinning off further afield from the original topic of “meeting with BF50+ members off the bike [in person],” namely by text, do other subscribers take note of particularly engaging, humorous, or otherwise distinctive writing styles? Writers you might read just because they are the authors, irrespective of the topic? I have a few, but I don’t want to be the first to mention any.

One element of style, if not substance, I enjoy on BF, especially Fifty-Plus was well stated in this post from Advocacy and Safety:

Originally Posted by turbo1889
… First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as apposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.

Okay, huge post, got to go to bed now.
…and another thing. I have received a few “Friend” requests over the years. What is the significance of that? A few were from names I didn’t even recognize. If anyone reading this sent me one, particularly whom I recognize and enjoy (and one is on this current thread), my non-reply is not a rejection. In fact one other is a family friend.

Finally,

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I sponsored a BFN 50+ rDenver area ide and met lots of folks - all who have left, I believe. Then we had our first annual ride in Glenwood Springs, CO, where I met about 13 - all but one charming. But all of these were bike related. John E, as mentioned by him, and Nora and I enjoyed fish dinner in Carlsbad, CA - off the bike.

… Myself and a few other Fifty-Plus subscribers [including the Kentons] have been together on a few, some up to about four of the preceding eight [Fifty-Plus Annual] rides …
While DnvrFox and I have never met, or exchanged PM’s I recall him as the elder statesman of this Forum when I first joined BF, and we have chatted a bit “entre nous” on the Forum. The Annual Rides he initiated have veritably defined my cycling year as I train for them. Just this week I posted to this thread on the Living Car Free Forum, “What do you get from BF transportation forums?, these two items from my list of four:

…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:
  • …the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather…

• the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
BTW, there was a Fifty-Plus thread last summer on a similar topic, ”How Do You Communicate on Forums vs Face-to-Face” that was eventually closed, apparently because the posts got so snarky and hostile. In contrast to the "long, deep, conversation formatdescribed above, Frankfast wrote, "Forums for me are just like fast food. If I want something healthy, I'll read some good fiction."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-07-14 at 12:09 PM. Reason: To add last paragraph
Old 12-07-14, 08:16 PM

…BTW, as to writing style, I generally pride myself in getting as much information into as short of a post as possible. I do this in all my writing - I write a lot of reports, position papers, etc. - and I am also asked to edit to a reasonable length and increased clarity the verbosity and redundancy of others.
Hi DF,

Thanks for that reply. Entre nous, you really struck a nerve. My job also is to write important, legally binding albeit prosaic reports in a professionally defined style, using proper, so-called “business-writing” English (e.g. Strunk and White’s ”Elements of Style”). I also pride myself to be complete and concise. In fact, I define my style as “concise yet elegant, erudite but not pedantic,” FWIW. A bane of my existence (cutting into my cycling and posting time) is to re-write the contributions to the report by various assistants. My name is on the final report, yet they write in a style opposite to literally every element of mine as stated above.

Maybe it's a matter of “taste,” but I think certain rules apply. I use the analogy you can go to a formal wedding in an ostentatious (verbose) polyester leisure suit, and that’s OK, but peculiar, just as long as you don’t go nude. I can’t accept the retorts, “Well, it’s not that important.,” or “Your other colleagues don’t care.” IMO, verbose and redundant writing is a disservice to the reader, off-puts them reading the message, and doesn’t enhance the writer’s credibility.

One interesting reason I read why writers bloviate (maybe I do too) is that in school, students are asked to write essays of a certain length, prompting padding of the work. Those who do prosper, and become leaders in their fields and promulgate that style. Perhaps there is also that tendency to associate length with expertise and knowledge. (”If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with B***S***.”) I have taken a couple of business writing courses, and the first exercise was to eliminate the unnecessary words in sample texts.

I’ll stop here before I go ballistic about grammar, punctuation and formatting (long paragraphs… )

But BTW,

…do other subscribers take note of particularly engaging, humorous, or otherwise distinctive writing styles? Writers you might read just because they are the authors, irrespective of the topic? I have a few, but I don’t want to be the first to mention any…
I admire the distinctively laconic posts of that taciturn Texan, 10 Wheels. For example, in this reply to a thread on the Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Forum:

Originally Posted by ericlee
80's Vintage Nishiki Olympic. there were a link. i need a bike to commuter 10 miles a day to work. my budget is $100

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Jump on it....
PS: I just noted after submitting this post I had quoted DnvrFox's post that began:

I sponsored a BFN 50+ rDenver area ide and met lots of folks - all who have left, I believe...
It appears that the second paragraph, which I quoted, has disappeared. Nonetheless, thanks for the oppportunity to rant, though I guess this post was really "entre moi."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-07-14 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 12-07-14, 08:42 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Hi DF,

Thanks for that reply. Entre nous, you really struck a nerve. My job also is to write important, legally binding albeit prosaic reports in a professionally defined style, using proper, so-called “business-writing” English (e.g. Strunk and White’s ”Elements of Style”). I also pride myself to be complete and concise. In fact, I define my style as “concise yet elegant, erudite but not pedantic,” FWIW. A bane of my existence (cutting into my cycling and posting time) is to re-write the contributions to the report by various assistants. My name is on the final report, yet they write in a style opposite to literally every element of mine as stated above.

Maybe it's a matter of “taste,” but I think certain rules apply. I use the analogy you can go to a formal wedding in an ostentatious (verbose) polyester leisure suit, and that’s OK, but peculiar, just as long as you don’t go nude. I can’t accept the retorts, “Well, it’s not that important.,” or “Your other colleagues don’t care.” IMO, verbose and redundant writing is a disservice to the reader, off-puts them reading the message, and doesn’t enhance the writer’s credibility.

One interesting reason I read why writers bloviate (maybe I do too) is that in school, students are asked to write essays of a certain length, prompting padding of the work. Those who do prosper, and become leaders in their fields and promulgate that style. Perhaps there is also that tendency to associate length with expertise and knowledge. (”If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with B***S***.”) I have taken a couple of business writing courses, and the first exercise was to eliminate the unnecessary words in sample texts.

I’ll stop here before I go ballistic about grammar, punctuation and formatting (long paragraphs… )

But BTW,

I admire the distinctively laconic posts of that taciturn Texan, 10 Wheels. For example, in this reply to a thread on the Classic and Vintage Bicycles: What's it Worth? Appraisals and Inquiries Forum:

PS: I just noted after submitting this post I had quoted DnvrFox's post that began:

It appears that the second paragraph, which I quoted, has disappeared. Nonetheless, thanks for the oppportunity to rant.
One of my writing tasks is providing Colorado state legislators information and advocacy material regarding disability issues, specifically for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. If the paper we provide is more than one page, or contains a lot of quotes and the like, we know they will not read it, and the effort is lost. Ditto with me - I don't spend a lot of time and effort to read convoluted material.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-07-14 at 08:50 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.