Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

December is the 2nd Cruelest Month!

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-07-14, 12:45 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

(See my rant on November).

Now, with ice, cold and a cold thrown in I sincerely need to get a grip on my resolve to not let my season of training go to waste. I know I have to get the trainer set up in the basement (not today).

When and if we get a real winter with lovely clean powderi snow (unsual along the coast) I will dig out my cross country skis and put in some miles that way. Until then, faith and indoor activities.
Old 12-07-14, 02:30 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
December is tuff but just 2 weeks to go til the solstice!

Charlie
Old 12-07-14, 03:00 PM
plodderslusk

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The first cold and wet ride of the winter season was a bummer( I do not remember it as quite so cold and nasty last winter, sneaking suspicion of age as a factor). However yesterday was beautiful, clear sky and just a few degrees under freezing. Had a great ride on forrest roads and what is to become skitracks when we get some more snow. Even december can allow for some great outdoor riding, at least on the weekends, after work I do not have the energy to ride outside. Hope we will see some more snow soon so I can get out my skating skis.
Old 12-07-14, 05:58 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Heads up, you have a possibility of a Noreaster tomorrow or Tuesday, according to the forecast, stay safe, stay warm and stay....., um don't get too overwrought about this, it too shall pass. LIke a bad case of gas.........

Bill
Old 12-07-14, 06:55 PM
etsisk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Luckily we aren't usually snowy down here, and temps are in the forties and fifties - which is still kind of a personal shock. But I have my clothes laid out and will hit the rail trail tomorrow!
Old 12-07-14, 07:44 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
We did a beautiful 2 hour mountain bike ride here today. Nice crisp -8 C temperatures made for dry fast conditions on the trails. There is very little snow yet and the trails have been packed down over the last few days. My bike was actually cleaner when I finished than when I started. No trouble keeping warm, speeds in the woods are much slower than on the road, so there is little wind chill. The only time we did cool down was when we had to stop to repair a flat tire
Old 12-07-14, 11:27 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
But the 21st the days start to get longer!

Yes I don't like winter but we need the rain--so I should not complain too much--already the hills are green again--finally!
Old 12-08-14, 07:54 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
IMO Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb should be cancelled due to lack of interest if you live in the snow belt.
Old 12-08-14, 08:03 AM
alcjphil

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
IMO Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb should be cancelled due to lack of interest if you live in the snow belt.
November can be a drag, but the winter months can be fantastic, you just have to learn to embrace the snow. To me there are few things more beautiful than gliding through a forest on cross country skis on a fresh blanket of snow. I can remember one time crossing a meadow, the sun hit the snow at an angle that made the snow look like a field of diamonds. You just have to learn to appreciate what nature throws your way
Old 12-08-14, 08:10 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: 4 rideable (Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Sun, 1 building (Whyte)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
With the short days, and the awful commercial run-up to what used to be a religious festival, December is definitely my least favourite month.

Once January comes the weather might get worse for a while, but spring is much nearer.

Old 12-08-14, 08:30 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
December has been an unusual mix of weather so far in my little corner of Wisconsin. Nothing too cold. Not too much snow. (Although it's coming down as we speak).

I rode the park trails on Saturday and after about 2 hours of single-track I came on a nice spot to to take a break for a while. I was overlooking the Bay of Green Bay with Fish Creek about a mile in the distance. The sun was beating down and ne'er a breeze. I propped myself against a tree and actually nodded off for a few minutes. This is a first for me. It's the first time since being a kid that I've been active outdoors in the winter.

I'm determined to make the most of whatever comes along, though admit that my resolve has already been tested once or twice.

I'm buoyed by having made it through November in one piece

"Gotta keep moving".
Old 12-08-14, 11:40 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post

^ That's a keeper!

I'm lucky enough to live where we can cycle pretty much all year long. And what do we do? Complain about temps when they get below 50F.

But if you live in winter sports country, why not focus on XC skiing or something else in the interim?
Old 12-08-14, 02:46 PM
etsisk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Y'all's posts make me yearn for a "like" button! I planned to head out today, but I appear to have caught my first chest cold in a long while. Given the extreme "yeep!" factor associated with all the other physical crap I've been dealing with this past year (heart caths, broken nose, knee surgery, etc), I'm ok with just having a cold! So stationary bike, weights and hot tub it is, then! The gym has nice folks, and I'll hit the trail tomorrow, maybe.
Old 12-08-14, 03:08 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
I'm still getting my strength back after a bout of the flu (102F temp.) Maybe by the end of the week I can start doing my short winter loop, about 7 miles, twice a week. December is a *****cat of a month. The tough one for me is late January and early Feb.

edit: I guess I could have made the automatic censor happy by calling it a puddytat (in my best Tweety-Bird voice.)

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 12-08-14 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-09-14, 04:46 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
My idea of a good Saturday in the dead of winter is being inside the power rack at the gym, all the while trying to look forward to those early spring rides not afar off.