Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Knee support sleeve (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/984895-knee-support-sleeve.html)

DougG 12-08-14 06:26 PM

Knee support sleeve
 
Due to a recent knee issue, my doctor recommended wearing a "patellar knee sleeve", which is one of those sleeves usually made from neoprene that goes over the knee with a cutout for the kneecap, which it is intended to stabilize. I bought a common model from a local pharmacy and, while it is fine for walking and OK for running, in a spinning class this morning I found it uncomfortable due to bunching up behind my knee.

Has anyone had experience with a device like this that is particularly suitable for cycling? The knee issue is basically kneecap tracking/stability, so something offering that type of support is what I'm going for.

Thanks for any advice!

berner 12-09-14 12:16 PM

I've used a knee brace in the past but lately my knees are doing well after following an exercise routine. Amazon.com: Mueller Adustable Hinged Knee Brace, One Size Fits Most, 1-Count Box: Health & Personal Care The brace in the link looks as if it may work for you as it has a n open area behind the knee.

Last ride 76 12-09-14 12:41 PM

I use one that has an open back. It's hinged, has velcro straps and I bought it at CVS. No biking problems at all. You might try cutting the back out of yours before you spend any extra money. Mine's like 44 bucks and lasts about 3-4 months of continuous wear.
Best regards, Eric

DougG 12-09-14 01:08 PM


Originally Posted by Last ride 76 (Post 17375349)
I use one that has an open back. It's hinged, has velcro straps and I bought it at CVS. No biking problems at all. You might try cutting the back out of yours before you spend any extra money. Mine's like 44 bucks and lasts about 3-4 months of continuous wear.
Best regards, Eric

Thanks. I think I saw that one at my CVS before I went the cheapo route. I'll have to go back and take another look. There are not too many brands out there in the OTC market. I did find one online that looked perfect, but cost $180! Obviously it was the type of "Medical Supply Company" equipment that a doctor would prescribe so that it's paid for by insurance.

curdog 12-09-14 01:26 PM

I use a devise from a company named Cho-Pat. Has been a big help. Can be purchased on Amazon. What a surprise?

Nightshade 12-09-14 04:33 PM


Originally Posted by DougG (Post 17375438)
Thanks. I think I saw that one at my CVS before I went the cheapo route. I'll have to go back and take another look. There are not too many brands out there in the OTC market. I did find one online that looked perfect, but cost $180! Obviously it was the type of "Medical Supply Company" equipment that a doctor would prescribe so that it's paid for by insurance.

Now is not the time to go el-cheapo!

How well you follow your doctors advise will determine your well being. Ask your doc for a scrip order then let your insurance ,if you have any, buy you a good and proper brace.

GravelMN 12-10-14 07:28 AM

Talk to a sports physiologist or physical therapist who is familiar with cycling about teaching you proper application of kinesiology tape for your condition. You will get far better stabilization than you will with any type of sleeve and it will move with you. When applied correctly, the stuff is amazing.

DougG 12-11-14 06:49 AM


Originally Posted by GravelMN (Post 17377494)
Talk to a sports physiologist or physical therapist who is familiar with cycling about teaching you proper application of kinesiology tape for your condition. You will get far better stabilization than you will with any type of sleeve and it will move with you. When applied correctly, the stuff is amazing.

Good idea. Thanks!

John_V 12-11-14 02:41 PM


Originally Posted by GravelMN (Post 17377494)
Talk to a sports physiologist or physical therapist who is familiar with cycling about teaching you proper application of kinesiology tape for your condition. You will get far better stabilization than you will with any type of sleeve and it will move with you. When applied correctly, the stuff is amazing.

You beat me to it! That was going to be my suggestion, as well. :thumb:

OldTryGuy 12-11-14 04:35 PM


Originally Posted by GravelMN (Post 17377494)
Talk to a sports physiologist or physical therapist who is familiar with cycling about teaching you proper application of kinesiology tape for your condition. You will get far better stabilization than you will with any type of sleeve and it will move with you. When applied correctly, the stuff is amazing.

Lots of helpful videos on YouTube regarding KT tape and the knee, here's one......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCobdSLwjs0


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.