Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anybody used your bike computer to map a hike?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-16-14, 06:36 PM
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We are going to hike the Inca Trail in Peru next year. I have seen some profiles and a satellite view of the hike, but the satellite views show several points of satellite contact and straight lines between them. I was thinking that my Garmin 500 could do a better job of mapping. Do any of you have experience using your bike computer for a hike?
Old 12-19-14, 06:49 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sort of. A few weeks back I was rehabbing an injury. I hadn't been able to walk, so I was gradually getting back into walking. It was a 1/4 mile at first, then 1/2 mile, etc. I wanted to measure my distance, and eventually my pace, so I brought along my Garmin. It essentially was a failure at that time because I couldn't walk 3 mph, the speed at which my Garmin is set to pause (I probably could have reset the pause feature but I didn't bother). There were so many failures that I gave up and used the Run With MY GPS app with my smartphone. It seems you might have the same start/stop issues with the Garmin on a mountain hike which could lead to multiple errors. Smartphone might be better.
Old 12-20-14, 01:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
I load a topo map with trails onto my Edge 800. I don't record the hike because it doesn't work, even with the pause set to Stopped. However I can see where I am in relation to topographic features and the trail. However, that means you have to have a topo with trails and there aren't such maps for many places. Other Garmins intended for such service undoubtedly do work, because I see people posting their routes on hiking sites.
Old 12-20-14, 03:27 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the Cyclemeter ap on an i5S and it works quite well except for one bug. For technical climbing or steep (3rd 4th class) mountaneering it doesn't sense any horizontal movement on the GPS and logs all that time as stopped. Pretty much makes the calories burned feature useless.

Even with the phone aps if you are out of range of cell phone/intardnet service you will have to pair it with a GPS map ap or you won't generate anything except a flat track until you get back to somewhere you can connect and update the map. Most of those will map hikes natively.
Old 01-08-15, 07:38 PM
VaultGuru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update: Like On The Path, my Garmin couldn't detect when I was stopped or walking, especially when I was doing a climb and moving slowly. I got a lot of straight lines and the distance was completely wrong. However, I have found that it does work really well if I turn off the automatic pause and keep the Garmin running once I push start. The times are all screwed up, but the map and the profiles are dead on. I'm thinking that I will stop it after each day, then restart and push the lap button when we start hiking the following day. That way, I can get a single profile of the hike and define the points where we camped for the night. Will post the route when we get back.
Cheers
Old 01-10-15, 10:30 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, many times.

A few caveats --

The Garmin isn't happy in a pocket etc. it wants to be un-covered. A simple solution is to put it in a clear plastic baggie,and use a safety pin to attach it to your back pack's shoulder strap. That way it can see the satellites and it's protected from rain.

If you're hiking under a heavy tree cover, as I do on the east coast, the Garmin doesn't always pick up the satellites.

The Garmin 500 battery only lasts 15 or so hours ... if you're lucky, and you won't find many USB charging stations on the trail. I would take a Garmin eTrex instead of the 500, because it uses easily replaced AAs.

Enjoy the hike, and please report back (The Inca tail is on my to-do list.)
Old 01-10-15, 11:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by VaultGuru View Post
Update: Like On The Path, my Garmin couldn't detect when I was stopped or walking, especially when I was doing a climb and moving slowly. I got a lot of straight lines and the distance was completely wrong. However, I have found that it does work really well if I turn off the automatic pause and keep the Garmin running once I push start. The times are all screwed up, but the map and the profiles are dead on. I'm thinking that I will stop it after each day, then restart and push the lap button when we start hiking the following day. That way, I can get a single profile of the hike and define the points where we camped for the night. Will post the route when we get back.
Cheers
Yes, I see that. I changed my bike profile (HIKE) so that Pause is OFF. I bet that will work better, as you say.

Many PCT thru-hikers now use small solar arrays to keep their electronics charged. I don't think that's a problem other than that rather over-teched look of having an array on your backpack.
Old 01-11-15, 12:35 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use an old Garmin eMap (purchased in '99) for all my travel - whether by bike, hiking, or kayaking (and used to use it for driving as well). Works well for all modes.
Old 01-11-15, 03:16 PM
VaultGuru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another update..Yesterday, we did a 6 mile hike (by my wife's Map My Walk calculation). My Garmin only registered 5.62 miles. I changed the data recording from Smart Recording to Record Every Second. That may improve the accuracy.
DGlenday, I will take your suggestion and carry the Garmin where it can "see" the satellites. Regarding the charging, I am taking an external battery pack.
http://www.amazon.com/Intocircuit%C2...=Hisgadget+Inc. I tested it on the Garmin when it was at 20% charge remaining. It only used 15% of the external battery capacity. This battery pack was really highly rated.
Old 01-15-15, 10:24 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use my Garmin 500 for tracking hikes and snowshoeing. Doesn't work perfectly, but looks pretty good when uploaded to Strava. I'm trying to best Kilian Jornet's FKT's.