Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   She finally popped the question. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/986111-she-finally-popped-question.html)

jim_de_hunter 12-17-14 08:09 PM

She finally popped the question.

When I told my wife that I'm looking to buy another bike (I need another one to replace the Quasar since it's not worth putting any money into.) she asked me, "How many bikes do you need?" Well, after being a member of this forum for a full 5 month I was ready with my answer. I put a mathy spin on it since I'm just about finished a Master's degree in Math and said, "n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned." Slipping into survival mode when I sensed a mood change in the room, I added, "Unless, of course, n+1 will lead to divorce. Then n is the number I need."

She blurted out, "Oh, just like my dogs." (She just put down a deposit on our 4th dog, a flatcoat that we're to pick up in three weeks.)

Crisis averted and the hunt for the next bike is on! :D

Oldguyonoldbike 12-17-14 08:16 PM

Fourth dog...
Does that mean that n=4?

jim_de_hunter 12-17-14 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike (Post 17397395)
Fourth dog...
Does that mean that n=4?

It does now! Thanks for the idea!

bikejrff 12-17-14 08:34 PM

n=12 here and I don't mean dogs.

02Giant 12-17-14 08:54 PM

When I seen the thread title and being in the fifty +, I was thinking retirement.

BlazingPedals 12-17-14 09:04 PM

My wife has a horse, which is more expensive than all of my bikes since it's an ongoing expense. So I already have permission, I just don't have the money. :(

DeadGrandpa 12-17-14 09:06 PM

I have recently discovered some folks with a bicycle "habit" will store their bikes in the garage on hooks, and post an ad on CraigsList weekly with a pic of the assemblage. Potential customers who call or visit will often find the bikes are priced just slightly out of their budget, unless the proprietor needs to liquidate in order to generate cash flow to buy a more desirable bike. At least that's how it seemed to me when I visited the guy.

And if you hear more static about spending money on bikes, the common reply hereabouts is, "Would you rather I spend the money on table dances or on bicycles?" Of course, your mileage with this answer may vary.;)

Last Saturday I added a vintage Miyata to my stable, bought for a decent price from an individual, not a dealer, found on CL, so n=5 for the time being.

GlennR 12-17-14 09:32 PM

I learned long ago that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

And since my son also rides and stores 4 bikes in the garage she won't notice the new Emonda SLR. But i'm not a "N+" guy so i'm selling my current Madone. I just don't see the need for 2 carbon road bikes.

fietsbob 12-17-14 10:23 PM

She blurted out, "Oh, just like my dogs." (She just put down a deposit on our 4th dog, a flatcoat that we're to pick up in three weeks.)
Ask which dog will be put down to make room for the New Puppy .. :rolleyes:

[Actually Have friends with a rather geriatric one , and they have a New puppy (And a mid aged one) so they have that decision]

David Bierbaum 12-18-14 12:13 AM

Hmmm. Have you two considered you buying a fat-tire snow bike, and a dog sled for her? You two could then do the The Iditarod Trail together!

freedomrider1 12-18-14 02:48 AM

To the original o.p. well played sir.

qcpmsame 12-18-14 06:42 AM

As the husband of a mathematics major (BS degree, only,) I think I know the problem. People say that we engineers are a few bricks shy of a full load, I say its mathematicians that are half a bubble off plumb. My wife used to receive a periodical called "Recreational Mathematics", I always felt that was the ultimate oxymoron.

I cannot ride but a single bicycle at a time, so the CAAD does the trick for me, however I was recently gifted a nice vintage steel frameset by a generous BF member and N+1 is actually happening for me, I just have to somehow justify spending money I do not have to blow on a Campag NR component group so as to build up my Grail bicycle. Glad that I studied law, I can at least organize an argument, that I cannot possibly win.

Bill

K100Fran 12-18-14 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 17398160)
As the husband of a mathematics major (BS degree, only,) I think I know the problem. People say that we engineers are a few bricks shy of a full load, I say its mathematicians that are half a bubble off plumb. My wife used to receive a periodical called "Recreational Mathematics", I always felt that was the ultimate oxymoron.

I cannot ride but a single bicycle at a time, so the CAAD does the trick for me, however I was recently gifted a nice vintage steel frameset by a generous BF member and N+1 is actually happening for me, I just have to somehow justify spending money I do not have to blow on a Campag NR component group so as to build up my Grail bicycle. Glad that I studied law, I can at least organize an argument, that I cannot possibly win.

Bill

Funny. Reminds me of an old joke...Why does a woman always get the last word in an argument?

Because anything a man says is the start of a new argument...

decotriumph 12-18-14 07:33 AM

I too follow the n+1 theory but in my equation, "n" is a variable.

leob1 12-18-14 09:12 AM

We kind of alternate on who get a new bike next. My wife got a new bike last summer. It's "ok", but "not really what I want". Looks like I may have to skip a turn.

Rick@OCRR 12-18-14 09:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My wife has no dogs . . . but three cats (which I think is one too many . . . not that my opinion matters :)). This is a photo of the latest additon:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=423625She also has six bicycles: Le Mond PopRad, Red Line Disc-R, Trek carbon single-speed, Armstrong 3-Speed, Giant XTC mountain bike and a Schwinn Paramount.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=423624My wife Centering the front disc on the Le Mond Pop Rad.

Although, to be fair, she has asked me to sell the Paramount (slightly too big for her). So yes, I can understand the OP's situation!

Rick / OCRR

bkaapcke 12-18-14 04:55 PM

You're a low down dog for scamming her with math. Bike Forums math, no less. Shame on you. There isn't a wife anywhere who has heard the truth out of Bike Forums math. bk :rolleyes::rolleyes:

rubic 12-18-14 05:55 PM

I donno. Sounds like if you get too many bikes you end up in the dog house.

Ursa Minor 12-18-14 07:58 PM

There are three kinds of mathematicians: those that can count and those that can't.

Charlie

robtown 12-18-14 08:12 PM

I tell my wife that W=1 M=0 and GF=0 are the important numbers for me and H=1 BF=0 for her.

bikejrff 12-18-14 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by oldnslow2 (Post 17397646)
I just don't see the need for 2 carbon road bikes.

Blasphemy! Heretic! Warlock!

freedomrider1 12-18-14 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 17398474)
My wife has no dogs . . . but three cats (which I think is one too many . . . not that my opinion matters :)). This is a photo of the latest additon:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=423625She also has six bicycles: Le Mond PopRad, Red Line Disc-R, Trek carbon single-speed, Armstrong 3-Speed, Giant XTC mountain bike and a Schwinn Paramount.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=423624My wife Centering the front disc on the Le Mond Pop Rad.

Although, to be fair, she has asked me to sell the Paramount (slightly too big for her). So yes, I can understand the OP's situation!

Rick / OCRR

She looks fast just standing.

GlennR 12-18-14 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bikejrff (Post 17400374)
Blasphemy! Heretic! Warlock!

Here's how I see it, my "N" is a 2012 Madone 4.6c and my +1 is a Emonda SLR. The Madone is too nice for a crappy weather bike. It's also too valuable and for the price i'm selling it for, a great deal for someone who wants their first carbon bike. I can easily use the money to offset the purchase of the +1 or use it to buy a reasonably price hybrid/mountain bike for less than ideal conditions.

Maybe its the the wisdom gained from being 59, or i'm just a old cheap skate. ;)

Doug64 12-18-14 09:52 PM

I don't have n+1 problems; well maybe I do, but it is not the most common form of the problem. My wife, an avid cyclist, has been after me to get a custom built touring frame. I am perfectly happy with the 5 bikes I already have, which include 2 touring, 2 road, and a CX bike. I can probably resist her "nagging", at least for awhile:)

Only 5 of those are mine!
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/y...7b46630e21.jpg

hueyhoolihan 12-18-14 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 17397589)
My wife has a horse, which is more expensive than all of my bikes since it's an ongoing expense. So I already have permission, I just don't have the money. :(

learn how to shoe the horse. have her pay you, and put it toward cycling, 100-200 every six weeks rather than some farrier.