Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Well, I am 55 in a few weeks and I finally have a question for this forum - Prostate

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Well, I am 55 in a few weeks and I finally have a question for this forum - Prostate

Old 12-18-14, 10:14 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Salsa Carbon Warbird, Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Felt Surplus 70 MTB, Dahon Folder, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Well, I am 55 in a few weeks and I finally have a question for this forum. I am a pretty active rider and recently have been told I have a very enlarged prostate. Anyone else here have a similar issue? Will this affect biking at all as I get older?
Old 12-18-14, 10:38 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Lost a riding friend this year He was 57 y/o and had ignored his doctors instructions about the prostrate.

Miss you Ralph...
Old 12-18-14, 10:48 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Non Sequitur.
Old 12-18-14, 11:25 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
BICYCLE RIDING AND THE PROSTATE
Old 12-19-14, 12:21 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Yup, it's all about the saddle. Age and genes of course are contributing factors, but those can make the choice of saddle more important.

I'd guess most of us have enlarged prostates, me for one, but some much worse than others. You can always tell: it's the guy who needs to pee every 15 miles.
Old 12-19-14, 04:49 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
I've got an enlarged prostate, and am treating it with Tamsulosin. A good saddle helps immeasurably.

OP - Before your next PSA test, take a few days off the bike, as well as the riding mower and anything else that presses on your perineum. Apparently that pressure causes a spike in your PSA.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-19-14, 10:08 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Yup, it's all about the saddle. Age and genes of course are contributing factors, but those can make the choice of saddle more important.

I'd guess most of us have enlarged prostates, me for one, but some much worse than others. You can always tell: it's the guy who needs to pee every 15 miles.
1) I concur on the saddle. Your situation may differ, but a traditional tensioned leather saddle (Brooks Pro, Brooks Team Pro) does not irritate my prostate. A saddle with a center slot or depression (Serfas ARC) is just about as good. In contrast, a traditional padded touring saddle sometimes does irritate my prostate a bit.

2) As long as I take either saw palmetto or beta sitosterol a few times per week I can easily keep any enlarged prostate symptoms very well under control.

3) Diet does affect prostate health, and I have followed a prostate-friendly diet for more than 30 years.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-19-14, 10:20 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Doc's been tracking my BPH for a decade. So far I've just been living with the slowly worsening symptoms. The day is coming when I'll have to get it taken care of. At least my PSA numbers are good. I ride a bent, and all of my bents have very firm seats (carbon shells with 1/2-3/4" zotefoam pads,) so there's no pressure on my perineum.
Old 12-19-14, 11:05 AM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Am 82.
Had prostate surgery (seed immplants) about 10 years ago.
Doing fine and riding average of 100 miles per week year round.
So far 300,000+ miles since the nid-70s.
Pedal on!
Rudy/zonatandem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
picasabackground.jpg (56.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 12-19-14, 01:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
I found the this:
Harvard Marketing Site - Contact Us
to be a very good overview of BPH and its treatment.
Old 12-19-14, 02:49 PM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You have an enlarged bladder but do you have trouble urinating? They don't always go hand-in-hand. If you do have trouble, it is important to get it under control now to prevent thickening of the bladder later. I take tamsulosin and it works well for me. If you decide to start taking it, take it at night until your body gets used to it.

My BPH has nothing to do with my PSA numbers which are completely normal.
Old 12-19-14, 07:38 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Former MA Senator John Kerry (Now Sec of state) has prostate cancer surgery, but he was back riding soon enough.

Yes, Saddle choice is important. I hava always used a Terry Men's saddle, and find it quite comfortable. Uh, I bought mine
when they were still produced in Italy. Of course, they are now all produced in China. Anyone know if the quality has suffered?
Old 12-19-14, 09:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
There's no automatic link between an enlarged prostrate and cancer. Many men have benign enlarged prostrates, and no serious or life threatening complications (except maybe having to wake up at 4AM to pee.

Long time active cyclists often have a different "problem" and will get comments about mashed or squashed prostrates after the exam. Also a non issue, but can make it harder for the doc to get a good read manually.

If the doc has recommendations, pay them heed. if he doesn't then there's no reason to change anything as far as cycling goes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-19-14 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-19-14, 09:57 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Salsa Carbon Warbird, Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Felt Surplus 70 MTB, Dahon Folder, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Wow, some great links and information here, especially the Harvard article. I definitely came to the right place for some info!

Thanks guys!
Old 12-20-14, 12:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I found the this:
Harvard Marketing Site - Contact Us
to be a very good overview of BPH and its treatment.
Great source of info on the subject. Thanks!
Old 12-20-14, 09:25 AM
side_FX

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
[QUOTE=John E;17401298
3) Diet does affect prostate health, and I have followed a prostate-friendly diet for more than 30 years.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering what a prostate friendly diet consists of? Have you found a good website or book as reference?
Old 12-20-14, 11:11 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Putting a Catheter in past a swollen Prostate takes time and a bit of effort (had a discussion with a friend with the issue last week) ...

Plus of course you add that item to your cycling kit , no whizzing by the roadside ..
Old 12-20-14, 11:45 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
This from the NIH site below: "But the value of PSA screening for prostate cancer is debated."
Info about PSA from NIH - no cycling mention:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003346.htm
Old 12-20-14, 11:38 PM
Hangtownmatt

Originally Posted by side_FX View Post
Just wondering what a prostate friendly diet consists of? Have you found a good website or book as reference?
A heart healthy diet is a prostate healthy diet. I don't have a link handy but several good one's can be found at UCSF. Google UCSF prostate diet.

Matt
Old 12-21-14, 05:27 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I am 70, have enlarged prostate and PSA is 0.6, don't take any meds and use Brooks saddles.
Old 12-21-14, 09:02 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
I will probably catch flack for bringing it up, but riding a recumbent bike or trike pretty much takes any discomfort and pressure off the never never land area. The way I look at it is why apply pressure or irritate the prostate area if you dont have to.
Old 12-21-14, 11:49 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
dwmckee:

I’ll be 73 next Saturday (B-day = 28 Dec 41); of course my prostate is enlarged.

However:
That only worsens problems I’ve had since I was a club racer 50 years ago. Back then I had pain in my perineum and hamstrings. The perineum pain was simply due to my sitting on it for hours at a time (Brooks 17 & 15). There were no alternative saddle designs I knew of and, being young & ignorant, I simple accepted pain as a part of racing bicycles. The Brooks B15 (Swallow) saddle took care of the hamstring problem but left me with the perineum discomfort.

Fast Forward:
I no longer accept that a bicycle rider should put up with sitting on the equivalent of an Axe handle; why should we deliberately apply pressure to an area that was never intended to suffer such insult (medical term ;o).
I currently ride on Adamo Prologue saddles which completely, completely eliminated pressure on my perineum. I have no pain, none at all in the part of my body that used to limit how far I could ride at one time; 100+ mile training rides were more about withstanding pain than, well, any other consideration --- it was stupid what I did in the pursuit of racing.

Consider:
You do not have to suffer with perineum pain. Get a saddle that has no nose, especially those designed by John Cobb (Adamo &, better yet, Cobb cycles’ JOF series). It is the nose of a, of instance, Brooks that presses on your perineum.
Many traditional saddle makers are now bowing to the idea of eliminating perineum pressure. Look for this trend to become, perhaps, dominant as time passes.

Finally:
You do not have to suffer --- at all --- with perineum pressure! Just find a saddle that doesn’t press on it!

Joe
Old 12-23-14, 03:06 AM
vsopking

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Originally Posted by Joe Minton View Post
dwmckee:

I’ll be 73 next Saturday (B-day = 28 Dec 41); of course my prostate is enlarged.

However:
That only worsens problems I’ve had since I was a club racer 50 years ago. Back then I had pain in my perineum and hamstrings. The perineum pain was simply due to my sitting on it for hours at a time (Brooks 17 & 15). There were no alternative saddle designs I knew of and, being young & ignorant, I simple accepted pain as a part of racing bicycles. The Brooks B15 (Swallow) saddle took care of the hamstring problem but left me with the perineum discomfort.

Fast Forward:
I no longer accept that a bicycle rider should put up with sitting on the equivalent of an Axe handle; why should we deliberately apply pressure to an area that was never intended to suffer such insult (medical term ;o).
I currently ride on Adamo Prologue saddles which completely, completely eliminated pressure on my perineum. I have no pain, none at all in the part of my body that used to limit how far I could ride at one time; 100+ mile training rides were more about withstanding pain than, well, any other consideration --- it was stupid what I did in the pursuit of racing.

Consider:
You do not have to suffer with perineum pain. Get a saddle that has no nose, especially those designed by John Cobb (Adamo &, better yet, Cobb cycles’ JOF series). It is the nose of a, of instance, Brooks that presses on your perineum.
Many traditional saddle makers are now bowing to the idea of eliminating perineum pressure. Look for this trend to become, perhaps, dominant as time passes.

Finally:
You do not have to suffer --- at all --- with perineum pressure! Just find a saddle that doesn’t press on it!

Joe

Funny is that perineum complaints can also be solved with a non cut out saddle. At least, I had serious discomfort when using saddles with a cut out.
Also tried a saddle without a nose, which was even worse.
Then I tried something else without a cut out and no complaints anymore...