Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New to the forums and liking what I see

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-21-14, 11:30 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was really glad to see this 50+ forum....I'm 65 and pretty fit.
I've been riding a bicycle for about 10 years...recreation and fitness, but recently have gotten a little more serious.
I traded in my fuji crosstown for a cannondale adventure 2. the fuji was causing backaches and i thought the adjustable
handlebar on the cannondale would help ....and it did.
But now that I'm riding in excess of an hour or more my ass is hurting....specifically right at the sit bones.
The saddle on my adventure has springs and sits on suspension seatpost. It is also pretty well padded , but I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem.
My research indicates that as we ride longer....less is more when it comes to padding.
Other research seems to suggest that altering the seat angle and distance can alleviate pain.
As you can see I'm a little overwhelmed. I have been gradually increasing my time/distance, and am happy to report that I'm not suffering any injuries.
I want to keep progressing at my slow and steady rate, but this 'pain in my ass' is my only limiting factor.
I would love to hear actual experience from older riders.
thanks.
don
Old 12-21-14, 01:19 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 2015 Focus Raven, 1896 Bellis

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found that a padded chamois with an application of chamois cream is more important than a padded seat on a road bike. I'm 64.
2016 Trek FX 7.4
Old 12-21-14, 01:48 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I put a lot of miles on a single bike and a tandem that both had WTB Rocket V Race saddles and was reasonably comfortable.

Now I ride only recumbent bikes and am supremely comfy. Always. Seats, not saddles.

And, oh yeah.............welcome to Fifty Plus (50+).
Pics of bike/s required.
You'll be getting info about how to pay 50+ Participation Fees soon.(You can just send the mods an image of a twenty dollar bill as an attachment.)

How is that 65 thing? I'll be joining you in January.

Last edited by JanMM; 12-21-14 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-21-14, 02:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Many of us have tried multiple saddles to find what we like and what works for one person might not work for someone else.
I use a Selle Italia something and I spent 8 hours on it yesterday and was fine to do 2 more hours today.

The shorts are important, too, but I'm happy with more different shorts while the saddle has to be pretty specific.
Old 12-21-14, 02:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started road riding at 65...11,200 miles first year....15,900 2nd year.
Standing to pedal often.will help you very much. The forward lean on a road bike also helps.

I tried for 1/3 of my weight on the hands and arms, 1/3 on the legs and feet, and 1/3 on the saddle.

Took me 47,000 miles to find the perfect saddle..You can't tell by looking at one.

Got this bike when I was 70.

Crashed at 57,000 miles when 72..Brain and eye damage.

Now ride a three wheeler as I never want to crash on my head.

Keep it fun and you can ride many miles.
Old 12-21-14, 07:42 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to getting the right saddle you might want to get a professional bike fit. Its money well spent.

Charlie
Old 12-21-14, 07:56 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just slapped a cheap Italian thing on this for now. Havent done a ride more than 73mi yet. So far, so good...

Old 12-22-14, 08:42 AM
avidone1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments.
10 wheel, sorry to hear about your crash..glad your still riding.
I had what I call a "Florida" crash.
I was whipping around a round-a-bout, while talking on my cell (yes, VERY stupid) when someone in golf cart pulled quickly out in front of me.
I hit the front brake hard, cut the wheel and went down hard. I gashed my head at the eyebrow and broke my elbow.
Fortunately, there was no permanent damage.
OldsCOOl.....very cool looking bike.
Seeing what others on this 50+ are riding is making me feel a little lame for getting a comfort hybrid. Oh well, I need to build up my stamina and strength some more before considering a faster ride, so for now i'm satisfied.

Last edited by avidone1; 12-22-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-22-14, 11:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Multiple bikes may help. For the last few years I purposely switch rides every few days to avoid repetitive stress etc.
Old 12-22-14, 02:12 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
Thanks for the comments.
10 wheel, sorry to hear about your crash..glad your still riding.
I had what I call a "Florida" crash.
I was whipping around a round-a-bout, while talking on my cell (yes, VERY stupid) when someone in golf cart pulled quickly out in front of me.
I hit the front brake hard, cut the wheel and went down hard. I gashed my head at the eyebrow and broke my elbow.
Fortunately, there was no permanent damage.
OldsCOOl.....very cool looking bike.
Seeing what others on this 50+ are riding is making me feel a little lame for getting a comfort hybrid. Oh well, I need to build up my stamina and strength some more before considering a faster ride, so for now i'm satisfied.
When you get your next bike, your hybrid can be your Backup Bike. Gotta have a Backup Bike.
Old 12-22-14, 03:14 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nothing lame about that at all! A hybrid may be more appropriate than a road bike in a number of circumstances. And if you get to the place where you want to expand your riding it's easy to add another bike when the time is right.

As to the pain you are feeling, you should first make sure that you've got the saddle height at an appropriate level and start out with the saddle itself perfectly level. You can try varying the angle (nose up or down) very slightly to see if either works for you.

It's possible that you are best off getting a new saddle. It's quite possible that this one is too plush and winds up creating pain on longer rides. If adjusting the saddle doesn't bring you any relief, try out some new saddles. I'd recommend going to a local bike shop and explaining where you're at. In my experience most will let you return a saddle after a trial period as long as you don't damage it and this will allow you to try things risk free. You might find that one of the anatomical saddles on the market work wonders, but it's hard to predict as everyone's anatomy and riding style is slightly different.

For what it's worth, on my touring bike I found that I couldn't endure long rides until I tried out a Brooks B17. But it's expensive, and while popular, certainly not universally loved.
Old 12-22-14, 07:31 PM
avidone1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL...I love the 'backup bike" comments....Everybody HAS to have a backup!!.....LOL....MY kind of thinking.
I did raise the seat about half an inch and lowered the handlebar a little. It puts me in modest 'lean forward' position thereby putting more pressure on my shoulders and upper back.
It did relieve some of the butt pain.
I have been looking hard at the Brooks flyer imperial...Brooks saddles are beautiful. The flyer has the springs like my current saddle and the imperial provides a cutout for relief in the 'junk' dept. I can't sit in a complete upright position because it hurts my back.....Seems like any adjustment I make to ease discomfort in one part of my anatomy causes discomfort in another.
It will be fun sorting it all out.
Old 12-22-14, 10:55 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Trek 1120, Santa Cruz Tallboy 3CC, Fandango DC-9 MTB tandem, Jamis Renegade Expert, Bike Friday Pocket Llama, Santana Arriva tandem, Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm lucky in that whatever seat a bike came with was comfortable. Once I got one of those Brooks leather seats, just to try, and it was less than optimum for a few hundred miles, then very comfortable. Chamois padding for me is unnecessary. Often I use stretchy nylon compression skivvies under running tights or riding shorts. The only problem I've had has been due to the riding shorts bunching up. Getting the seat height and angle are critical, also.
Old 12-23-14, 11:33 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
LOL...I love the 'backup bike" comments....Everybody HAS to have a backup!!.....LOL....MY kind of thinking.
It really is worth having a second bike. You've almost always got something to ride when one is out of commission for repairs, etc. It also allows you to get a bike that serves a different purpose and can expand your riding horizons. Of course many around here don't stop at two bikes, and I'm looking at adding a third to my modest collection, a true road bike in this instance.
Old 12-23-14, 12:37 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giggle all you want, fellow geezers & geezettes - I ride my Electra Townie coaster-brake proudly! I'm currently doing five or ten miles per day, but I plan to work up to some 50-mile weekenders. As to a second bike - ABSOLUTELY! More bikes is better bikes! LOL

And since I forgot to say it earlier - Welcome to the Forum, @avidone1

PS - I've got not one, not two, not three, but FOUR Brooks saddles. I play with them for the fun of it & which I prefer on any given day depends on the weather & my mood.

My units are a B135 (sprung till the cows come home), a B67, a Swift, and a B17. For the Townie, the B135 & B67 seem to work best. My "backup bike" is yet TBD, but it'll be more friendly to the other saddles.

Last edited by FarHorizon; 12-23-14 at 12:40 PM.