Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tamsulosin (Flomax) and Cycling Caution

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-22-14, 02:51 PM
alanmcdonley
CyclicalObsessiveCyclist

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I rode about forty minutes yesterday averaging slightly over 12 mph in 80 degree weather (I love the first day of winter in South Florida). My ride turned out to be 50% in HR zone 3 and 30% in zone 4 - some intervals and some steady spinning. At the end of the ride I sat down on a bench to finish cooling down.

After a few minutes resting, I got very light headed (and lost all color according to my wife). After some OJ and crackers, I was fine again.

It was my first day taking Tamsulosin (to encourage kidney stone travel), so just a heads up to others about this drug. Don't follow my path; there may be monsters awaiting.

From the drug info that I didn't heed:
Tamsulosin may cause dizziness or fainting, especially when you first start taking it or when you start taking it again. To prevent dizziness, avoid becoming overheated during exercise.
Old 12-22-14, 02:58 PM
no sweat
Hardening the F up

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Siena, 29# hard tail Tank

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That crap can drop blood pressure, quite a lot.
Old 12-22-14, 03:10 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Glad you're OK. Always read the paper work, these meds can outright kill you.
Old 12-22-14, 03:38 PM
alanmcdonley
CyclicalObsessiveCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks @OldTryGuy

My mind had been spinning for a while waiting for my new bike to arrive. It came four days ago so I thought I was done with that head spin stuff. I guess it will take a while for the grin to fade.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/859772...7649831083752/
Old 12-22-14, 03:52 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice bike, Enjoy the Ride!

Could you just up your fluid intake and ditch the drugs? I've no experience with kidney stones, but that seems like a logical, natural, solution.

BTW, get your self a set of 25's.
Old 12-22-14, 04:01 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alanmcdonley View Post
Thanks @OldTryGuy

My mind had been spinning for a while waiting for my new bike to arrive. It came four days ago so I thought I was done with that head spin stuff. I guess it will take a while for the grin to fade.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/859772...7649831083752/
Sorry if that hit the wrong way. I learned a LONGGGGGG time ago to read the fine print. Had some SERIOUS weirding-out one time that scarred me to almost death.

That's a stealth machine for sure.
Old 12-22-14, 04:34 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That bike looks like it belongs at Cape Canaveral.
Old 12-22-14, 07:03 PM
1loosemoose

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, good luck with the meds.

oh....... That's a sick looking bike!!!!!
Old 12-22-14, 07:23 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Once you get used to it, it's not a problem. I'm on the max dose of it (0.8mg/day) and it doesn't bother me...unless I run out, and have a heckuva time peeing!

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-23-14, 10:02 AM
Coal Buster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to take it at night before bed when you first start taking it. Once you get used to it, there's no problem taking it anytime. I take Tamsulosin daily and ride with no problems.
Old 12-23-14, 10:15 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coal Buster View Post
You have to take it at night before bed when you first start taking it. Once you get used to it, there's no problem taking it anytime. I take Tamsulosin daily and ride with no problems.
+1 That's how it works for me too.
Old 12-23-14, 10:52 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had an MD once who prescribed this drug specifically to lower BP. Pharmacist had a fit. Ultimately the doc was persuaded to change his mind.

Your body.
Old 12-23-14, 10:52 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take Flomax, for the same reason - renal calculi, bi-lat. My own personal gravel pit! It will pass as your body gets used to it. Taking it at night is the preferred, which I do.
Old 12-23-14, 11:01 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take Flomax without side effects, but I make SURE to drink about 2 liters of water or more every day.

I take it back!!! LOL - It seems that my sleep is also affected by the Flomax - I wake up about five or six times per night, preventing me from getting the deep sleep that I need. I've not taken the Flomax for the past few days, and my sleep is getting better. I'll have to experiment to be sure, but I'm fairly confident that it's the Flomax that is causing this effect.

Last edited by FarHorizon; 12-26-14 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 02:47 PM
Coal Buster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
Had an MD once who prescribed this drug specifically to lower BP. Pharmacist had a fit. Ultimately the doc was persuaded to change his mind.

Your body.
My brother's a pharmacist. Why someone would let him overrule their doctor is beyond me.
Old 12-23-14, 03:57 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been taking Tamsulosin for 10 years or more. Has no effect on my cycling. But sure helps me pee better!
Old 12-24-14, 07:36 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several years ago I posted a similar experience I had with Flomax. My dizziness was so severe I ended up getting carted off to the ER. I switched to Avodart which acts through a different pathway. A year ago I cut out the Avodart and discovered it wasn't making a difference. I think the original prescription for Flomax was a misdirected response to a UTI or some other transient problem rather than a long term issue from BPH.
Old 12-24-14, 08:47 AM
alanmcdonley
CyclicalObsessiveCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for sharing your experiences with Tamsulosin/Flomax. I'm going to be cycling more conservatively for a bit.

As a long time "stoner" (just the kidney type), I incorporated drinking two liters of water (at least) to my habits years ago, and I even push more when trying to help a stone move down and out.

There is controversy if alpha-blockers like Tamsulosin do in fact flush more large stones or flush stones faster, but I think it helps me. Supposedly, it is only helpful in the later part of stones' 3-8 week travels, which is never long enough for my body to fully adapt to the once after breakfast, once after dinner regimen my doctor prescribes.

I'm going to talk to the doc about alternatives, or if I can switch to taking both doses at bedtime.

@Wanderer , this gravel pit stuff is new for me this year. I've gone from yearly to almost monthly. My only "life changes" have been passing 60 and a twice a week jogging program.
Old 12-24-14, 09:07 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, my Urologist calls me his retirement plan................. I've passed so many stones, and had so many blasted with a laser, that I have lost count. Now, I just call the doc, and ask him which hospital he wants me to go to............... I even have his cell number..... LOL

Good luck on all your chosen endeavors...............

A very good friend, who happens to be a Pharmacist, says I should only take this medication at night, and the Doc agrees with her. Many times, a Pharmacist knows more about a chosen drug, including effects, dosage, application, and side effects - than many doctors. That's all they do!

I have my share of medical issues, many different doctors, and take way too many drugs - and she has helped my Doctors with potential interactions a few times now.

Last edited by Wanderer; 12-24-14 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-24-14, 10:53 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Taking Tamsulosin at bedtime sounds like a reasonable solution, as does increasing your fluid intake. Urinary acidifiers, including apple cider vinegar, may also be helpful if you are having a Mick Jagger rock concert in your kidneys.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-25-14, 08:41 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brother's a pharmacist. Why someone would let him overrule their doctor is beyond me.

Don't want to blast your brother too badly. After all you are speaking for him and may not have the full story. Or, maybe you underrate his value in the health care regime.

One of the pharmacist's jobs is to review the prescription for several things. One of which is to see if it is being prescribed in accordance with the manufacturer's directions. Certainly, it is not uncommon to use drugs Off Label. But, in this case, at that time, using Flomax solely as a hypertension medication was specifically disallowed by the manufacturer in strong language. When the MD was asked why he was prescribing against the manufacturer's instructions he had no good answer. End of story.
Old 12-26-14, 06:14 AM
Coal Buster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't want to blast your brother too badly. After all you are speaking for him and may not have the full story. Or, maybe you underrate his value in the health care regime.

One of the pharmacist's jobs is to review the prescription for several things. One of which is to see if it is being prescribed in accordance with the manufacturer's directions. Certainly, it is not uncommon to use drugs Off Label. But, in this case, at that time, using Flomax solely as a hypertension medication was specifically disallowed by the manufacturer in strong language. When the MD was asked why he was prescribing against the manufacturer's instructions he had no good answer. End of story.
The OP is taking Flomax for a condition for which it was intended. You commented that you stopped taking it on the advice of your pharmacist without adding that it was for an unrelated condition for which the drug was not recommended. Your omission was misleading and unfair to the OP and other readers.
Old 12-26-14, 11:10 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your body.
The OP is taking Flomax for a condition for which it was intended. You commented that you stopped taking it on the advice of your pharmacist without adding that it was for an unrelated condition for which the drug was not recommended. Your omission was misleading and unfair to the OP and other readers.
I've multi quoted for reading convenience. Since you missed it the first time maybe another go will help. If you are going to slam a post the least you can do is read it first. Understanding the subject might help too.

If you had a question rather than a slam you could have phrased it as such.
Old 12-26-14, 11:36 AM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take it with water after the evening meal, and sit down watch TV

I rode about forty minutes yesterday averaging slightly over 12 mph in 80 degree weather (I love the first day of winter in South Florida). My ride turned out to be 50% in HR zone 3 and 30% in zone 4 - some intervals and some steady spinning. At the end of the ride I sat down on a bench to finish cooling down.

After a few minutes resting, I got very light headed (and lost all color according to my wife). After some OJ and crackers, I was fine again.

It was my first day taking Tamsulosin (to encourage kidney stone travel), so just a heads up to others about this drug. Don't follow my path; there may be monsters awaiting.

From the drug info that I didn't heed:
Tamsulosin may cause dizziness or fainting, especially when you first start taking it or when you start taking it again. To prevent dizziness, avoid becoming overheated during exercise.
Old 12-26-14, 11:58 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I have to take it with water, I end up peeing a half dozen times during the night. I tried taking it at breakfast, and I still end up waking a half dozen times during the night (but without the need to go every time). For the past few days, I've not taken the Flomax, and my sleep is improving. I'll need to try going back to the Flomax to say for sure that it's the cause of the sleep issues, but it sure seems so as of now.