Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Here

Old 12-23-14, 11:47 AM
retiredcoach12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New Here

I have been looking for an active bicycle forum and this looks like the place. I used to ride motorcycles so I spent some time in Harley, Honda, and Suzuki forums. Our sons ride cycles so they started giving my wife and I hand-me down bikes, so slowly but surely we transitioned from two wheeled motorized to two wheeled pedaled. I am training for a 100 mile gravel grinder this summer with one or all of my sons. I have been a runner for years but I am finding that training for that and cycling is some different, so I will be back to ask questions about training.

Thanks
Old 12-23-14, 12:33 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome, @retiredcoach12 -

You're a better man than I if you can go that century on trails! I'm slowly losing weight with my riding, but many (most?) of the 50+ crowd are closer to your end of the fitness spectrum than mine. Welcome to the forum & post us some photos of your bikes!

FarHorizon
Old 12-23-14, 01:26 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Welcome to the 50+ forum.
100 mile gravel grinder???

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-23-14, 04:04 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Welcome aboard, there are several of us that have motorcycle experience, in the forum. A 100 mile gravel ride is a challenge, best of luck on the preparations.

Bill
Old 12-23-14, 04:07 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
From my experience riding gravel roads, a cyclo-cross bike is made for these conditions and would be perfect, but many other bikes can work too. A mountain bike (generally) would be over-qualified for gravel roads (still quite do-able) whereas a road bike could work with large enough (28 mm minimum) tires fitted.

Could you be more specific on the specs of your hand-me-down bikes so we could be more helpful? Photos would be good too. Other than that, please advise a link to the details of the event so we can see (roughly) the quality of the gravel roads you'll be riding and how much elevation gain you're looking at, and how steep the steep bits get. Plus all the other details, i.e. will there be checkpoints with food & drink? Or are you on your own in this regard?

Regarding training, it sounds like you will need to get comfortable with the distance as well as the riding surface! What is your base now? You say you are training but what does this training consist of? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm hoping that the answers will help us provide better advice for you.

Other than all that, welcome to the 50+ forum!

Rick / OCRR
Old 12-23-14, 04:28 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Batavus Professional, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
A friend of mine has been trying to talk me into a 100-mile gravel grinder. He entered the fat bike category because there are fewer riders and he thinks he'll have a better chance of winning. I think I'd probably die somewhere out there on the gravel. If you know what you're in for, I tip my hat to you!
Old 12-23-14, 07:43 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Paging Blues Dawg, call for Mr. Blues Dawg in the Gravel Grinder dept.

Bill
Old 12-23-14, 08:41 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Back in 'the day,' I always considered 32mm wide tires to be the minimum I'd want for gravel, and wider would be better. Sure 28s would work, just not very well.