Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm the luckiest man alive!

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-27-14, 06:51 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Suffered a ruptured anterior tibialis tendon last week (tore during spinning class and finished off coaching a HS basketball game), and had surgery 5 days ago. The cycling has stopped for a spell. Had big plans for this year that require less of me (weight) and improved conditioning. It will be an even bigger challenge now. Christmas morning, I lost my dear father suddenly. Although he was 99, he was in fine shape. Until he caught a flu bug. Went from having an awesome Christmas eve with family to the ER and breathing his last in a matter of hours. A couple months ago he requested that all the family be here together for Christmas. Not a small undertaking, as he and mom (she passed 20 years ago) had 8 kids, 24 grand,47 great and 10 great great grand kids. So he got most of us together, at least 80 plus out of a possible 120+ family members for Christmas day to enjoy each other, and through the saddness, know that he was spending his Christmas day reunited with our savior and Lord Jesus Christ and his loving wife. Most will be able to stay long enough for the funeral and maybe see me coach some of the finest young men on the face of the planet, as we have a Holiday tourney game a few hours after the funeral and such is over. Through all the saddness, frustration and missing my father deeply, I honestly feel like the luckiest person alive. So many blessings of family, young men I am mentoring and coaching that "get it", plus the promise of a here-after from a faithful God leaves me with the greatest of joy. Merry Christmas season and a glorious New year to all!
Old 12-27-14, 07:57 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear of your loss and sorrow in this season. Yet, I share the joy of your dad's homegoing. That's quite a family.
Old 12-27-14, 08:46 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
What a tribute to your father.And i also look forward to that homecoming.
Old 12-27-14, 11:14 AM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
As said in YIZKOR, may the soul of your departed farther be bond with the souls of souls of Abraham, Isaac andJacob, Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel and Leah,
Old 12-27-14, 11:48 AM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I am sorry for you loss and touched by your profoundly well written testimony.
I prayed for you, and your father:

Heavenly Father, please look with forgiveness upon the deeds of the life of the father of gif445 from Kearney NE.
In your great mercy, please shine the light of your face upon him, so that he may feel the warmth of your love, and forever rest in peace.

Heavenly Father, please comfort the family left behind in their grief.
Please send your Holy Spirit to be with them and grant them the grace of sure knowledge that their departed is with you.

Thank you for bestowing the great blessing of the whole family gathering, so at your chosen hour, you could call this man home.

I ask these things in the name of your son, Jesus Christ and give thanks in praise and glory of your name. Amen.
Old 12-27-14, 12:13 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thoughts to you and yours.
Old 12-27-14, 02:16 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
It truly was a merry Christmas for your dad, both here on earth and in heaven!
Old 12-27-14, 05:05 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
I'm glad that he got as many of his family together as possible for the dinner. Your post is a nice way of remembering and of honoring your dad. Prayers for the repose of his soul, and for your strength to carry on his legacy. Also, I hope your healing from the injury goes uneventfully and you can return to your regular riding.

Bill
Old 12-27-14, 05:48 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lanceoldstrong View Post

Heavenly Father, please look with forgiveness upon the deeds of the life of the father of gif445 from Kearney NE.
In your great mercy, please shine the light of your face upon him, so that he may feel the warmth of your love, and forever rest in peace.

Please send your Holy Spirit to be with them and grant them the grace of sure knowledge that their departed is with you.

Thank you for bestowing the great blessing of the whole family gathering, so at your chosen hour, you could call this man home.

I ask these things in the name of your son, Jesus Christ and give thanks in praise and glory of your name. Amen.
Amen.
Old 12-27-14, 08:50 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Sorry to hear of your father's unanticipated passing. It is rare for a 99 year old to have so much family together at one time - to have them present at his passing is even more rare. You are indeed a lucky man - to have the sad event occur in the context of his rich family legacy, to ease the pain of loss.

I hope that your tendon recovery progresses without complication.

Frank
Old 12-27-14, 10:46 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Sympathies and condolences to you and your family. What strength family and faith can add! What a trubute to your father!
Old 12-28-14, 11:04 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Thanks so much for the kind words, thoughts and prayers. Great, awesome people! Wish I could take part in a ride with each and every one of you someday!
Old 12-29-14, 07:11 AM
Martian63

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.0, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by lanceoldstrong View Post
i am sorry for you loss and touched by your profoundly well written testimony.

Heavenly father, please look with forgiveness upon the deeds of the life of the father of gif445 from kearney ne.

Heavenly father, please comfort the family left behind in their grief.
Please send your holy spirit to be with them and grant them the grace of sure knowledge that their departed is with you.

I ask these things in the name of your son, jesus christ and give thanks in praise and glory of your name. Amen.

amen!
Old 12-30-14, 07:18 PM
Deucer01

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lanceoldstrong View Post

Amen!
Old 12-31-14, 06:04 AM
K100Fran

Bikes: 1993 GT Corrado, 1999 Kona Explosif, 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Many blessings in the new year to you and your family.