Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

To sweat or not to sweat...

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-30-14, 09:58 PM
choteau

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So when I'm riding in the warmer time (late spring - early fall) it's a tee shirt and bermuda shorts ( maybe spandex under wear) I sweat but it works to keep me cool
Colder temps sweat pants over boxer briefs, (maybe wool base layer) and long sleeve t under a flannel shirt, (maybe a wicking t also) BUT I still sweat like a pig, if I ride without stopping, or no wind it's fine.... I get home and peal off WET cloths t's are wet from long sleeve cuf to neck to hem, and bottoms are, well we shall say as wet as a diaper. Suggestions?

By the way this is riding an upright 3-5 speed for 20+ miles at 10-12 mph.
Old 12-30-14, 10:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can try to under dress slightly so you feel cool -- not cold. IME I'd dressed correctly if I'm cold for the first 10 minutes or so, until I warm up then it's fine. OTOH - if I'm not cold starting out, I'm just about assured of over heating.

BUT- even if dressed perfectly and not feeling hot, you'll still sweat. Unfortunately all those layers mean less air flow, so slower evaporation. It's rare that I get anywhere dry in the winter. MY goal is to not be soaking wet to the point that I chill from evaporation on descents.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-30-14, 10:11 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not aware of a good solution. Try to work it where you're "comfortably cool" while riding. The problem is, you'll ride down the hill and be fine, then ride up a hill and be sweaty. Or into the wind is fine, with the wind is sweaty.
Old 12-30-14, 10:12 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Couple suggestions. You may be overdressing. The first 5-10 minutes should feel chilly. You warm up after that and should be marginally comfortable.

The other is wear wicking material next to your body and something thinner per that to capture moisture and allow it to quickly evaporate. Flannel shirts and sweatpants act like sponges and just hold moisture
Old 12-31-14, 03:06 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Year-round on the bike, you dress to keep cool. No matter what time of year, if you're sweating through your layers, you're wearing too much.

Commuting home last night, it was 23F. I wore a wicking long-sleeve t-shirt under my Endura Gridlock cycling jacket, and my regular bike shorts under my Pearl Izumi AmFib winter tights. Double gloved, 'tween seasons weight cycling skullcap, and my Lake winter cycling boots rounded out the ensemble. Had conditions been right for the road bike, I might have been just a wee bit underdressed--I might have had to add armwarmers. As it was pushing the studded snow tires, I was just fine. 59:08 at 13.65 mph.

Once outside of relatively warm temperatures on the bike, you need to forget everything your mom ever told you about bundling up for the cold. She wasn't a four-seasons cyclist. And you need to ditch all that cotton--although I understand it's some sort of law in the PNW that you must at all times wear some article of flannel. Maybe the fashion police will let you off if you carry a flannel hankie or something.

Dress lightly, dress in wicking clothing, and you'll be fine. If you get too cold, just pedal harder. You'll warm right up.

Last edited by tsl; 12-31-14 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-31-14, 06:36 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
^^^, what he said, tsl in the leading cycling sartorial expert for cold weather riding. Listen to what that man tells you.

One clothing article to recommend, the Under Armor "Coldgear" base layers, I wear the compression, mock turtle, long sleeve shirt when its cold out. This wicks sweat away from me and I don't get chilled from the wetness. The wind jacket I have has arm pit vents that allow me to control how much air gets in to keep things flowing, or to close the body off for warmth. You have to channel any sweat off of your skin if you are a free sweating person, along with proper layering and choosing the right materials for your kit's fabric.

The head cover and gloves will play a big part in making the rest of your body feel comfortable enough, I have both a skull cap (Specialized) and a balaclava (Under Armor) for this purpose.

As said above, you should start off a bot chilly since your body will warm up from the physical exertion, layering lets you moderate the temps inside your clothing. It doesn't need to be expensive or flashy, just practical, see the closest REI for some ideas, too.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 12-31-14, 09:26 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
You might want to think about getting some top layers with zippers or buttons. Adjust those to get a tiny bit of air flowing through the top layers to (a) keep you from getting so warm, and (b) allowing air flow to dry the inner layers.
Old 12-31-14, 09:42 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Also, you're wearing cotton. Never wear cotton, no matter what the temperature. Synthetic garments, particularly built for cycling or other athletic activities, don't absorb moisture. They wick it away to the surface where it evaporates. Thus you always need to have a way for it to evaporate, i.e. no complete barrier layers that hold sweat in. Standing outside by your bike, you should feel chilly enough that you start to shiver.
Old 12-31-14, 09:46 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I think that it's harder to modulate when you're keeping a low effort level. Warm enough when you're not generating much excess heat is too much when the effort rises even a little. If it was me, I'd try to keep the limbs warmer and torso cooler, since in that situation it's my main body that begins to sweat. Going a bit harder, my arms and legs aren't as much cooler than torso.
Old 12-31-14, 10:02 AM
big john

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Invest in some wicking baselayers, wear a cycling jersey and shorts/tights. You can get baggy mtb shorts if you want and still use tights or legwarmers underneath. I also use a Windstopper vest with a mesh back when it's not too cold.

If you're raising your heartrate you're going to sweat, the key is managing all that moisture. Cotton kills.
Old 12-31-14, 10:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 3033 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 93 Posts
bike shorts are for moisture management, give them a try. I've got a fleece shirt that is awesome and you don't hear ppl mention them often. with a wicking synthetic base layer and that fleece shirt, my upper body stays dry. of course I wash everything immediately after a ride.
Old 12-31-14, 06:09 PM
choteau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. The first shirt with buttons I had as a baby was a flannel Soon to be 58 and most of life I've worked outdoors. SO, yes I understand about being comfortable/venting heat when working/riding in the cold. Today it was 33F at the start of my 20 mile loop and 34F (windchill was 27F) after 2 hours. Cold hands, nose and ears to start, 20 minutes in all were warm enough. When riding I "Zen out" and don't seem to notice until I'm wet already. Need to ride more to research this I guess Tim
Old 12-31-14, 07:12 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to over dress also.But i purchased a jacket with "pit zips" that is zippers under the arms to let heat out and that helps alot.
Old 01-01-15, 08:58 AM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with much of the above. You can't stop sweating completely, but you can control it. Layers and zippers are your friends. FB is right, start out in gear that is comfortably cool, even slightly chilly, but not so much that you shiver. Then as you warm up, remove layers or open zippers as needed to keep you comfortably cool and reduce sweating to a minimum. Wool and tech synthetics are better choices than cotton. From the innermost layer outwards think 4 W's: Wicking, Warm, Wind and Water-resistant. My winter bike has a rack with a stuff sack on it so that I can remove or add layers as needed.
Old 01-01-15, 11:41 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That you're sweating isn't the issue. It seems you are not managing the perspiration. Lot's of good suggestions above concerning proper clothing to manage the perspiration.

I'll add a variation on a well known phrase. You don't sweat less, you just go faster..
Old 01-01-15, 11:47 AM
PaulH

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I think you may be way overdressed. I'm normally cold for the first twenty minutes. If you start to sweat, unzip and vent immediately -- don't wait until you are wet.
Old 01-01-15, 05:35 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Down here in Florida, warm weather cycling is the rule not the exception. I wear wickable everything. Or as much as possible. padded liners are always kind of soggy, but the shorts and jerseys are those wickable polyester variants. Hot means sweaty and there's no way around it. Sometimes the only thing that keeps me going on a hot day is knowing I'm going to jummp in the pool the minute I get home.
Old 01-01-15, 11:50 PM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I only ride when it is warm or hot. I sweat, and when the ride is done, I take a shower. If I cant ride in a t-shirt and shorts, I dont like to ride.
Old 01-02-15, 05:59 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Merlin Ti

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While cotton, imo, feels great against the skin it is a very poor moisture, sweat, management material. It absorbs but holds moisture...sweat, often leaving you feeling damp and clammy and worse, cold, when the temps drop.

Whether working, hiking, snow shoeing or riding outdoors I prefer moisture moving material on my skin as the base layer.
Try an inexpensive top, long or short sleeve beneath your favorite, even cotton, top layer...wind and temp may draw off moisture from the cotton top.

Same for bottoms...surprised you haven't had irritation, rash, etc. problems...once you get a rash or worse on your nethers you'll be looking for a better way.
Old 01-02-15, 09:57 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6836 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 179 Posts
My distances are shorter and My speed is lower, when I'm riding in the clothes, I work in . T shirts .sweatshirts Sweat pants..