Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

January 2, 2015 ride. Not what the other thread is about, either.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

January 2, 2015 ride. Not what the other thread is about, either.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 12:14 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
So sorry to hear of your wreck, Bill. Sure hope you heal up from this. You've got some great neighbors but cant say much for that dog or the lack of care for it. Take care!
Old 01-03-15, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Bill, I can't believe that only a day later and you're already buying new gear. Give it a rest and enjoy the care giving!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Thanks to everyone, nice to have this thread not turn into a flame fest ...

Bill (Ol'Twitchy)
If you won't let us turn this thread into a flame fest, can we at least make fun of the SRAM brakes? If you'd been riding a Shimano equiped CAAD or better yet Campy, you would have stopped on a dime!
Old 01-03-15, 12:38 PM

Bikes: N+1=20013 Green mongoose Beast, '74 Raleigh International, '58 Raleigh Dawn Tourist, Univega Alpine Sport, Univega Ladies MTB- Wife's, Townie 7D -Wife's, and a pile-o-spare British 'junque'

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr. Bill, glad to hear you are alright! The Lord must keep His angels flying close to you. tom
Old 01-03-15, 12:48 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Thanks to everyone, nice to have this thread not turn into a flame fest, ....
Flame who or what? Compost happens, and you preempted any "sue them..." nonsense in the initial post.

My reference to the other planet is because your breed is that rare, and if I knew where you came from, I'd consider moving.

BTW- that you are in an area populated by nice folks isn't a surprise. I've always believed that the people around us tend to be reflections of ourselves. Good people are surrunded by good people, creeps seem to find more creeps wherever they go.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-03-15, 01:37 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Just reinforces my thankfulness that my son doesn't ride. If he wants to risk his ability to make a living, or even his life, once his family is grown, that's up to him. In the meantime, there are a dozen other ways he keeps fit. Last year an MD friend of mine became a parapelegic after a seemingly minor bike crash.
Old 01-03-15, 03:38 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Flame who or what? Compost happens, and you preempted any "sue them..." nonsense in the initial post.

My reference to the other planet is because your breed is that rare, and if I knew where you came from, I'd consider moving.

BTW- that you are in an area populated by nice folks isn't a surprise. I've always believed that the people around us tend to be reflections of ourselves. Good people are surrunded by good people, creeps seem to find more creeps wherever they go.
I like that.
Old 01-03-15, 05:46 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 136 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. That is not the way to start out the new year.

Your crash sounds similar to what I did in Oct, with the exception of how it happened. Don't be surprised if you come up with a few more aches and pains in the next few days.

Heal well.
Old 01-03-15, 05:48 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
Just reinforces my thankfulness that my son doesn't ride. If he wants to risk his ability to make a living, or even his life, once his family is grown, that's up to him. In the meantime, there are a dozen other ways he keeps fit. Last year an MD friend of mine became a parapelegic after a seemingly minor bike crash.
Mmmmmmmmm.......so you think that cyclists......of a certain age................are all reckless and irresponsible? Do you know how many people are killed or injured driving or riding in cars?
Old 01-03-15, 06:18 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
That's your takeaway?
Old 01-03-15, 06:19 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Damn Bill, sorry to hear that. Your story almost sounds like what happened to me two years ago while trying to avoid running over a snake at the MUP. I over corrected, big time, and the rest of the story wasn't pretty. I went off the road and down a berm without the bike. The only good thing was that I did heal up and wasn't off the bike for very long. Heal up quickly, my friend.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-03-15, 07:57 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
You guys are great, like having a dorm room session, and being sober at the same time, lots of good stuff. Everyone that replied is a good, solid guy here. And, yes our village is pretty much good folks, never had any issues from being crowded off the road, things thrown at me or the other crpa that happens to many cyclist, thankfully. I try and always be civil to the people I see out, or driving, when I am cycling, seems to bring me a lot more friends than the option. I live here, too, so, no sense in acting out. I am working on a cross the street neighbor that is interested in beginning riding soon, every convert is a plus for bicycling, to me.

FB, no problems at all, but give the trolls a chance and they can take over any thread about anything. You didn't say anything even the least bit out of line, to me. Always enjoy your posts, anywho.

I feel a lot better this evening, a bit achey, in my shoulder, and right leg, nothing severe at all. I'm keeping the scrapes cleaned and covered in antibiotic ointment. All look better this evening from yesterday, the bruises have a lovely bluish/yellow caste to them. Got the helmet, RD cable, and fresh S-Works cork bar tape this afternoon, Monica drove me to the LBS, I am not wanting to drive until I am certain there is no concussion at all. (Don't think there is, no symptoms, but I was pretty loopy when the gentleman and his son picked me up and took me home.) I need to check on the little dog to see that she is alright, too. Really neat dog, usually, she just zigged when I expected a zag, yesterday. Everyone stay warm, dry and safe with the arctic air shooting our way, especially you guys in the mid-west and plains.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-03-15, 09:18 PM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by NVanHiker
That's your takeaway?
I read: Bicycling is very dangerous.
There is some risk but for me, and for most of us here - I would think - it's worth the risk.

Yep, Bill, it's about to get very cold in the Mid-West.
Old 01-04-15, 09:08 AM
Semper Fi

Kind of stiff this morning, I am going to get moving and do the repairs to my bicycle when I log off. Slept well again last night, thankfully. I appreciate everyone's kind thoughts and advice, very much. I am going to wait to ride until possibly tomorrow, I want to be sure my balance is alright since the PD caused problems with this, before I crashed. I do have more issues with that than anything right now, the possibility of a mild concussion still remains, no need in risking anything. I am not in any way fearful of riding again, I had crashed this bad and worse while riding, just not recently.

No need to extend the thread for me, everyone can add their thoughts and advice as the wish, of course. Stay warm and ride safely.

Bill

Old 01-04-15, 10:23 AM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad you're Ok Bill. I hope you heal fast and you're back on the road soon!

Gary
Old 01-04-15, 10:33 AM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for your updates, Bill. Glad to hear you are doing well under the circumstances. You're a good man, and we all know that you can't keep a good man down. Sounds like you'll be back on the bike soon.
Old 01-04-15, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Bill,
I am so sorry to read about your accident. It all sounds so painful! I am relieved to see you are well enough to be able to post and hope you recover quickly. You are in my thoughts.
Old 01-05-15, 07:06 AM
Semper Fi

Just to finish out, I got the CAAD sorted out yesterday, new RD cable in place and the shifting indexed, had to set the RD hanger out a slight bit, new bar tape is wrapped, and everything checked and measured, for any frame damage not evident by sighting alone. Nothing was out of spec. and its ready for riding, when I am safe to ride. Thanks everyone for the concern and kind words here.

Bill

Old 01-05-15, 10:58 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Damn, Bill ... I'm just finally reading this thread! Glad you're more or less OK. And kudos to your no-harm, no foul attitude. You did go to doc for a look-see, no?

If your RD hanger is replaceable, I'd just replace it. They're pretty cheap. You can probably find one here:

DerailleurHanger.com

Old 01-05-15, 02:18 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Via Ninron, Bianchi Intenso and Cannondale trail 6 29er 2015

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you heal quickly. I came off my beloved Bianchi and it had not a scratch. My clothing also not a mark. My helmet cosmetically fine but I did renew it. I unfortunately had a graze to my elbow and a broken femur immediately below the hip joint and concussion. I unlike yourself lay at the side of the road till someone eventually stopped and called an ambulance. So reassuring to hear that there were concerned people who came to your assistance.
Old 01-05-15, 06:51 PM
Semper Fi

Took a short ride this afternoon, wanted to feel like there wasn't going to be any fear in the back of my mind about riding especially in the area of the accident. No problems at all, I am going to replace the hanger, seems to be still out of line and they are cheap to replace. Some shifting glitch on the 4th cog, so I need to check that cog, and the cage of the derailleur.

Vic, didn't see the doc, but if things got worse at any point I can see my PC Physician within the hour, the ER isn't a place I like after all the times I went in through it. Didn't feel that things were that bad at all.

Checked with the dog's owner this afternoon while I was riding, the little dog is fine, the lady didn't know about her getting clipped by my wheel, she did offer to replace the kit, and anything else that I had to get, no need on that. I told her that I was fine, and where I got bruised up, as she asked, very nice people. The little dog is as nice as can be all the time, she just mistimed her spin, Friday afternoon and I was there to get tagged. I learned a lesson about riding with a dog running along thinking I am a horse that needs to be herded into the fence.

Bill

Old 01-05-15, 09:18 PM

Bikes: 2014 Spec Roubaix SL4 Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had three "incidents" biking in my six years of riding, all involving dogs. One crash and bitten twice. I encounter dogs on every ride. Keeps me on my toes. Heal quickly!
Old 01-05-15, 09:32 PM
rebmeM roineS

Took a short ride this afternoon, wanted to feel like there wasn't going to be any fear in the back of my mind about riding especially in the area of the accident. No problems at all, I am going to replace the hanger, seems to be still out of line and they are cheap to replace. Some shifting glitch on the 4th cog, so I need to check that cog, and the cage of the derailleur.

Vic, didn't see the doc, but if things got worse at any point I can see my PC Physician within the hour, the ER isn't a place I like after all the times I went in through it. Didn't feel that things were that bad at all.

Checked with the dog's owner this afternoon while I was riding, the little dog is fine, the lady didn't know about her getting clipped by my wheel, she did offer to replace the kit, and anything else that I had to get, no need on that. I told her that I was fine, and where I got bruised up, as she asked, very nice people. The little dog is as nice as can be all the time, she just mistimed her spin, Friday afternoon and I was there to get tagged. I learned a lesson about riding with a dog running along thinking I am a horse that needs to be herded into the fence.

Bill
Congrats on the ride!
Old 01-05-15, 09:38 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 136 Posts
Congrats on getting back in the saddle!

I think it took me close to a week to think about riding again after the last one (I did have a nervous 5 mile ride back to the car), and then I made the mistake of washing my stuff, because that's when I saw all the blood stains on my long sleeve wicking shirt and jersey.

I believe it took a day or two more after that.
Old 01-05-15, 09:46 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by *****roadrunner
I have had three "incidents" biking in my six years of riding, all involving dogs. One crash and bitten twice. I encounter dogs on every ride. Keeps me on my toes. Heal quickly!
My "best" dog incident happened many, many years ago, when I was young, fit and immortal. I was making good time coming through a small town (cluster of buildings) in Northern NJ, when a smallish dog charged out on a frontal attack intercept course. Having no time to react, I decided my best option was to bunny hop over him. Lesson learned, I can't hop that high enough, so the dog and I went rolling down the road. As I was getting up and starting my damage assessment, I saw the dog hobbling off.

A local who'd seen the whole thing delivered the clincher. "Don't worry about the dog young man, he had that broken leg before you hit him".

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-05-15, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Sorry to read of the crash, but glad to hear you're mending.

(I'll be more careful of a few small dogs I take for granted as they've always just run alongside.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.