Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looking to re-start after many years.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-04-15, 09:47 AM
MojaveSoul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was an avid rider in my late twenties and early thirties (just turned 50). The bike I rode back then was a GT Karakoram which I loved! Because of that I was looking at getting this...

GT Mountain Bike GREAT CONDITION

Can someone tell me if this is a good deal/starter for me to get back in the saddle? Been out of the game a long time so I need some advice. I do a lot of desert adventuring and would love to throw it on the truck and go. Mostly will be soft dirt trails, nothing crazy. Maybe a little pavement but probably not much.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old 01-04-15, 10:13 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
If you're OK with the price it looks like a deal to me.

My basic philosophy is to get ANY bike and start riding. If your bike has features that you don't like, try to minimize them when you buy your next bike.
Old 01-04-15, 10:13 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MojaveSoul View Post
I was an avid rider in my late twenties and early thirties (just turned 50). The bike I rode back then was a GT Karakoram which I loved! Because of that I was looking at getting this...

GT Mountain Bike GREAT CONDITION

Can someone tell me if this is a good deal/starter for me to get back in the saddle? Been out of the game a long time so I need some advice. I do a lot of desert adventuring and would love to throw it on the truck and go. Mostly will be soft dirt trails, nothing crazy. Maybe a little pavement but probably not much.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Welcome to the group.
That is a decent bike with pretty good components. The major wear items in the drive train are new, so it looks like a not bad deal to me.
It's likely the frame has been inspected with that much work done to the bike, but I would still look it over pretty close for cracks or saw marks on the chain stay where the chain may have done damage.
Old suspension forks may continue to work for a long time, but parts are often hard to come by. Typically, discontinued models are not supported after a few years.
But, if the bike fits you and you like it, go for it.
Old 01-04-15, 10:34 AM
MojaveSoul

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you (both of you) for the welcome and the advice. I just spoke with the guy and he seems a bit sketchy on details so I'm going to pass.

I don't mind dropping a bit of change on a good bike, just want to make sure it's a fit. Although I'm pretty sure I won't be riding as aggressively as I did when younger. Healing takes longer now. And, if memory serves me from my past blood-lettings, pain isn't as enjoyable now either!

Going to head over to some local shops and try on a few for size, feel and whatnot.

Thank you again and happy spinning!!
Old 01-04-15, 10:53 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Welcome, MojaveSoul! Three things I need now that I'm in my 50s (that my 20 year old self didn't) Seat padding; whether it's gel seats, springs or padded shorts. Multiple hand positions. I prefer drop bars, but bar-ends helped me on my MTB based commuter. A forward-biased riding position. On road bikes it's not an issue, on my MTB based commuter I threw the bars forward to take weight off my butt, but not so forward or low as to put too much on my wrists. Since we all age differently and "enjoy" different body geometry these suggestions may not be pertinent for you, but from reading the forums and talking to other riders, you may find these helpful. In the meantime, RetroGrouch is right...use the first bike to figure out what you desire and dislike to make a better 2nd purchase...and go, Go, GO!
Old 01-04-15, 10:57 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I"don't know how much you consider too much. There are many bikes from $500 to $1000 that would provide many years of usefull service. My own bike is a Specialized Secteur, now with 15,000 miles which cost $850 four years ago. It is as fast as need and has been mostly trouble free. I did replace a rear deraileur but will last for many more years.
Old 01-04-15, 10:58 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3506 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Keep an eye out for vintage mtbs with a rigid fork. Yeah they're not as competent offroad as a bike with a suspension fork but they make great all rounders and they're easy enough to fix up. Put on some slicks and you have a very competent road/gravel road bike. There is a lot of love here on this site for those bikes because they're so versatile.

The prices tend to be more than reasonable. This bike may not be your size but if it is, I'd grab it if it checks out:

Specialized Hardrock mountain bike

If you do end up buying that bike, you can post pics of it here and we'll all tell you what a great deal you just got,

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ain-bikes.html

Last edited by bikemig; 01-04-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-04-15, 01:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The current GT is not the same company as the old GT. The name was sold off years ago and now they're a big-box brand. Not quite like Wally-World, more like something you'd find in a Dick's.
Old 01-06-15, 06:51 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3 WSD, Trek Lexa SLX, Trek Silque S

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should treat yourself to a belated 50th birthday present and check out something like a Trek 8.3 DS:

8.3 DS - Trek Bicycle

As these things go, it's a relatively cheap midlife crisis.