Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I guess I've recovered what I spent on the RD Tool

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-04-15, 02:42 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)

That's the rear derailleur hanging bracket adjustment tool. I bought one a couple months ago and it really solved some of my shifting issues on my 11 speed. I worked on my bikes this past week. Just doing different odds and ends over a 4 hour period like putting new bar tape on one of the bikes.

As I was finishing up getting ready to go back into the house I managed to knock over my 11 speed and the RD took the brunt of the fall on the concrete garage floor. I was really tired and figured I'd check it out later. I took that bike out for a ride before checking it and the shifting was so bad I couldn't use the last several easy gears in the cluster. In fact the RD hit the spokes when I shifted all the way to the easiest gear! The hanging bracket was really bent! There were some hills on the last several miles that I had to do standing just to get up them on tired legs.

When I checked out wheel and bracket with the tool, I needed to pull the hanging bracket out so much I could see it move....... a lot. Within 5 minutes I had it trued up again and shifting perfectly.

I would have felt dumb (again) taking back into my LBS but I've been in that position before........
Old 01-04-15, 03:08 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Easy to overlook RD alignment and that Park tool should be used every so often. Just the simple fatigue that follow usage can cause problems without a big fall.
More gears and thinner chains and cog spacing make alignment much more critical. Just think, we're now putting 11 gears in the same space we used to have 8. It won't surpise me if new road bikes move to 140 or 145mm spacing before long.
Old 01-04-15, 04:44 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: 4 rideable (Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Sun, 1 building (Whyte)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Assuming that it's a replaceable hanger I would consider buying a new one, as a precaution, if it bent a lot. I would have thought that alloy is not dependable if it has been bent a lot.
Old 01-04-15, 06:31 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
Assuming that it's a replaceable hanger I would consider buying a new one, as a precaution, if it bent a lot. I would have thought that alloy is not dependable if it has been bent a lot.
That's true. Some hangers are like butter. Just look at them wrong and they're twisted.
Old 01-04-15, 07:23 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
They are replaceable. I'm on my second one and have another coming.
Old 01-05-15, 06:51 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Interesting timing for your post, Joe, when I went over the CAAD yesterday, checking for any damage from last Friday, beyond what I saw on first look. I found that the hanger was slightly bent from the bike hitting on the RD when it went down. Not severely bent, but when I was checking the indexing down to the 11 tooth cog, the chain and the hanger touched, slightly. I stopped and did a thorough check of the frame, drops, stays and hanger to make sure it wasn't worse than just the hanger. After it got straightened I measured the various lines of the frame to check them against the Cannondale dimensions.

Luckily the hanger was just off a few mm and it got put straight, easily. I immediately though about this thread and about your hanger tool thread, too. I believe I will get a hanger tool shortly ans well as a few spare hangers from the LBS. I recall that an RBA editor had his RD hanger destroyed last year, riding in the Dirty Kanza, he said he would carry a spare from now on, for which ever bicycle he was riding/testing.

Glad yours got straightened out, good idea on ordering a replacement, too.

Bill