Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saddle switch.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saddle switch.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 10:12 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle switch.

After almost 2,000 miles on my Brooks 67 I finally became convince it just was never going to be comfortable for me. I purchased a Kontact and rode it 50 miles, it looks promising.
Old 01-06-15, 12:01 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
So... uh.... waddya gonna do with the Brooks?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-06-15, 04:31 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
You stuck with it far, far longer than I would of. My Brooks, (B-17 and B-17 Imperial) felt great right out of the box. I think you either love em or hate em.
Old 01-06-15, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I switched to a Selle Anatomica X at the end of last year. Incredibly comfortable right out of the box. I think I may have finally found the one (for now!).
Old 01-06-15, 02:33 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
What kind of bike? The B-67 is intended for an upright riding position. If you're on a road bike with dropped handlebars, a narrower, unsprung saddle would likely be more suitable.
Old 01-07-15, 09:03 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
That's a drastic switch. The B67 is sprung and wide, the Kontact is narrow and firm.

I ride a B17 on my Tourer, and a Pro on my fixed gear, but an E3 Form (predecessor of the Kontact) on my carbon road bike. Different geometries, different riding positions...so a different saddle for each.

I hope you like the Kontact. I love my E3 Form.

Phil
Old 01-07-15, 09:09 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Drop bars , that may be the way to go.. Used the Pro model on my drop bar touring Bike..

67 with your sit up Straight, Opa , would be more sensible,,
Old 01-07-15, 04:16 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I also tried a B17 and just could not get comfortable on it. Seemed like the longer I rode on it, the more uncomfortable it was. I got rid of it when the discomfort turned into pain. Went with an ISM Adamo Prologue and haven't looked back in the nearly three years that I've had it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-07-15, 05:43 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a cushy sprung 'comfort' saddle on my Cannondale Adventure. It was not very comfortable, causing me pain under my sit bones. I switched to the selle anatomica T series and I'm very comfortable. I ride in a slightly lean forward position. Not aggresive like a drop bar road bike, but not straight upright either. I really like the split seat concept. It allows each side to move independently. I think that is a big plus.
Old 01-16-15, 09:30 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
So... uh.... waddya gonna do with the Brooks?
I'll keep it for awhile just in case the new saddle does not work out. After that........................make an offer!
Old 01-16-15, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
What kind of bike? The B-67 is intended for an upright riding position. If you're on a road bike with dropped handlebars, a narrower, unsprung saddle would likely be more suitable.
Thank you, I was not aware of that. The Kontac should fit the bill then.
Old 01-16-15, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good responses here guys, thanks for the input.
Old 01-18-15, 10:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HOWEVER, I rode it fifty miles today and it was a real pain in the gluteus maximus! It's going back.
Old 01-18-15, 11:20 PM
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Kontact saddle on all three of my road bikes. The trick to be comfortable is to stay properly situated on the saddle. Your sit bones need to be on the wide back portion of the saddle. If you tend to slide forward it can be uncomfortable. I am sure it may not be for everyone, but the Kontact saddle works for me. Check how you are sitting on it.

Ride On!
-Spoke
Old 01-19-15, 08:28 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I use a Pro with drop bars on the 1959 Capo and a Team Pro with mountain bike bars with extensions on the Schwinn. However, since the Schwinn has a long top tube and I use the extensions more than the main grips, my position on it is not that much more upright than on one of my road bikes. In the highly biased personal religion of saddle selection, Brooks Pro has my strong endorsement.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-27-15, 09:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE: So, after my second trip on the Kontac my arse was SO SORE I decided that saddle had to go back and I ordered a Selle Anatomica. HOWEVER, I'd already put the B67 back on my bike and so decided I'd give it one last shot. This time, however, I didn't adjust the slant the way it was before and the front of the saddle was considerably higher (kinda like it was when the shop set it up before I decided that wasn't right and lowered the nose down!) and wouldn't ya know it I was able to keep my butt back on the saddle where it was much more comfortable and NOW the B67 is starting to look a lot better. I'm going to give it another go this weekend and if see if I get the same result, and if so the SA goes back unused! HO-CHEE-MAMA this ain't as simple as it should be!
Old 01-28-15, 06:20 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Yes. "Level" for a Brooks means that the contact area is level with the nose being elevated. It looks strange, but "nose up" is generally regarded as the correct way to set up a wider Brooks (Pro and wider). The narrower ones can have the nose more even with the canticle. PG

What did you do with the Kontact saddle?
Old 01-28-15, 07:40 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by goaliedad30
I switched to a Selle Anatomica X at the end of last year. Incredibly comfortable right out of the box. I think I may have finally found the one (for now!).
Same here. Made the switch about a year ago.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 01-28-15 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-28-15, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I guess I am just not saddle sensitive....all of my bikes have the saddles that came on them...no issues...
When I first started riding, I was sore/uncomfortable for a couple of weeks, then got used to riding and have had no further problems...they are all the same width and fit my sit bones...but each is a different saddle...
The only time I have any issues is when I am riding with my wife, we go REALLY slow and I have to watch it to make sure I do not slide forward on the seat... as long as I keep my butt back on the seat where it is supposed to be, no problem.
Old 01-28-15, 08:05 AM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interested in the follow up about the new positioning of the brooks. Selle Anatomica has a 30 day return policy, so you can give the brooks a good trial before deciding.
And yes, this saddle comfort business can get very complicated. Don't forget that what you wear will have an effect also. I discovered that gel padded shorts put pressure on my sciatic nerve causing some numbness down my leg. When I switched to chamois the numbness went away. It reminds me of that saying about when a butterfly flaps his wings in Brazil it causes a blizzard in Siberia, or whatever........my point being that any change made in one area will effect the rider in another.
Old 01-28-15, 10:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
What did you do with the Kontact saddle?
Sent it back.
Old 01-28-15, 10:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
Interested in the follow up about the new positioning of the brooks. Selle Anatomica has a 30 day return policy, so you can give the brooks a good trial before deciding.
And yes, this saddle comfort business can get very complicated. Don't forget that what you wear will have an effect also. I discovered that gel padded shorts put pressure on my sciatic nerve causing some numbness down my leg. When I switched to chamois the numbness went away. It reminds me of that saying about when a butterfly flaps his wings in Brazil it causes a blizzard in Siberia, or whatever........my point being that any change made in one area will effect the rider in another.
Point well made. I'm wearing padded riding shorts and perhaps some expirimenting in that regard is called for.
Old 01-30-15, 01:27 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis Le Tour
After almost 2,000 miles on my Brooks 67 I finally became convince it just was never going to be comfortable for me. I purchased a Kontact and rode it 50 miles, it looks promising.
I find that a good working over with a plastic mallet breaks the leather fibers down to speed the break in process.

so........

I beat the snot outta my new Brooks when they are new. Makes'um soft real quick!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 01-30-15, 03:20 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Gilles Berhoud is another maker of Premium Leather saddles .. 2 models.. 1 tries for a slice of the Brooks Pro market and another a bit of the B17 sector.
Old 01-30-15, 04:55 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
The longer you ride, the less your butt hurts. That is, unless you are sitting on a butt hatchet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.