Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fitness = Ageless

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fitness = Ageless

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 10:32 PM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few years back I cared for an uncle in his last years and was with him as he struggled to breathe his last few hours. Having started cycling 16 months ago and being 72 I've decided being found dead lying next to my bike would be a much better way to go than my uncle.

Rich
Old 01-11-15, 07:11 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bexiesbruv
This is where I struggle
But I have not run in about a week. I do take blood pressure meds and the whole reason for the weight loss and subsequent exercise was to get off the pills, which I have not been able to do. I manage about a week or two then lose the energy (or motivation) to keep it up. Dont know why because I do enjoy it.
See my signature line. The same would apply to running, were I a runner.

We all see ups and downs in our motivation levels. But I know from experience that if I make myself go out, I'll enjoy it and feel good about myself. If I don't, my self-esteem (and therefore my motivation to get out tomorrow) will be slightly eroded. Just do it.

Plus, you will find that it takes about three months to establish a change of lifestyle and make it a habit. Run or ride four or more days a week for 12 weeks. At the end of that time you'll find that not only do you find it easy, you feel deprived when you're prevented from doing it.
Old 01-11-15, 07:21 AM

Bikes: Canondale MTB, Arvon Stacy custom steel road, Quattro Assi Team 2000 road.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
See my signature line. The same would apply to running, were I a runner.

We all see ups and downs in our motivation levels. But I know from experience that if I make myself go out, I'll enjoy it and feel good about myself. If I don't, my self-esteem (and therefore my motivation to get out tomorrow) will be slightly eroded. Just do it.

Plus, you will find that it takes about three months to establish a change of lifestyle and make it a habit. Run or ride four or more days a week for 12 weeks. At the end of that time you'll find that not only do you find it easy, you feel deprived when you're prevented from doing it.
Thanks
I did exactly that, yesterday.
I just got up and did an easy 30 minutes on the treadmill. I mentioned in another thread that my "best friend" is my body fat scale. It also gives biological age. I got on it yesterday and I had increased to 37, from 33 before Christmas. I have been as low as 28 and I know its a gimmick, but it gives my ego a nice "glow".
Old 01-11-15, 07:53 AM
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
see my signature line. the same would apply to running, were i a runner.

We all see ups and downs in our motivation levels. But i know from experience that if i make myself go out, i'll enjoy it and feel good about myself. If i don't, my self-esteem (and therefore my motivation to get out tomorrow) will be slightly eroded. Just do it.

sig!!
Old 01-11-15, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Fitness=Ageless

"As it turned out, the cyclists did not show their age." Nor, IME, do we ACT our age!

SP
OC, OR
Old 01-15-15, 01:28 PM

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hair is highly over-rated!

Fitness is not. My journey started in my late 40's and I can't believe what I've been able to accomplish (57 now). One thing to stress is the importance of strength training as we age. Many of what were long considered the natural infirmities of age are really just a loss of muscle. I try and cycle my body through different focuses depending on the season. Winter is lifting, swimming, stretching, and spin class 2-3 times a week. I'll start trending more toward cycling as spring approaches and that will then become my biggest focus as the weather breaks. I also hike hilly areas regularly. As fall approaches I move more toward hiking to prepare for hunting season then back to the gym by Thanksgiving. It's fun watching my body change from a bit bulkier to leaner in the summer and knowing that I can control that.
Old 01-15-15, 04:31 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
It is my hope they find me at age 92+ just pulled of the bike trail cooling out with a smile on my face.
Old 01-15-15, 05:52 PM

Bikes: Canondale MTB, Arvon Stacy custom steel road, Quattro Assi Team 2000 road.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It is my hope they find me at age 92+ just pulled of the bike trail cooling out with a smile on my face.
I was the village funeral director for a time back in the UK. The chap I worked with and I were chatting with a client. We were arranging the funeral for a Lady that had reached 100. The client (her son) jokingly mentioned that he would like to be able to run a marathon on his 100th birthday.
Richard, quick as a flash retorted, "run a marathon? I want to be shot by a jealous husband on mine" Its my sig on a couple of web forums and always brings back a smile when I think of it.
Thanks for bringing the smile back again today, rydabent.
Old 01-16-15, 09:14 AM

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
My brother is an RN who has spent close to 30 years in an ICU. He's told me "keep peddling and with luck you'll get hit by a truck" Hopefully that's 40 years down the road but I understand what he is saying.