Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I did it, I relocated to a bike friendly location

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 11:20 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Now to make the most of it!

I decided to relocate during 2013, and finally moved to Edwardsville, Illinois this month. The move helps me accomplish four goals: Reduced overnight business travel, a more moderate cost-of-living than Chicago, a milder climate for an outdoor lifestyle, and an improved & safer cycling infrastructure.

This county has a great cycling infrastructure: https://www.mcttrails.org/map.aspx ...and the 240 mile long KATY Trail starts a short distance from here.

One important resource I had in Chicago was a good quality set of friends to ride with. Most of my riding is moderately long, 30 to 75 miles, and finding cyclist who like longer rides at a moderate pace is not easy.

Any suggestions on finding the not-to-fast and not-to-slow riding partners in a city where you are the stranger?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-19-15 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-16-15, 11:38 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I might start by signing up with these guys.
Old 01-16-15, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Lotus 300M, Raleigh Revinio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lived in O Fallon for a year, where I started back riding after a ton of years. Loved the MTC trails. Did the same thing after I moved to California, first lived in the Santa Barbara area, wound up riding a lot in the Santa Ynez valley, moved to that area after a year so I didn't have to haul the bike up there every weekend. I wonder how many other people relocate on purpose for better biking trails.

Also check out the group at Bike Surgeon, they do group rides also. Belleville has the Belleville area Bicycling and Eating Society (B.A.B.E.S) Belleville Area Bicycling and Eating Society (BABES) » Belleville Area Bicycling and Eating Society

Happy trails.
Old 01-16-15, 12:55 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by chasm54
I might start by signing up with these guys.
Yes, I'm planning on stopping there today. I should be able to find a happy medium among these rides.

Originally Posted by JetAgeHobo
Lived in O Fallon for a year, where I started back riding after a ton of years. Loved the MTC trails. Did the same thing after I moved to California, first lived in the Santa Barbara area, wound up riding a lot in the Santa Ynez valley, moved to that area after a year so I didn't have to haul the bike up there every weekend. I wonder how many other people relocate on purpose for better biking trails.

Also check out the group at Bike Surgeon, they do group rides also. Belleville has the Belleville area Bicycling and Eating Society (B.A.B.E.S) Belleville Area Bicycling and Eating Society (BABES) » Belleville Area Bicycling and Eating Society

Happy trails.

Now that sounds like my group, and a general description of my life! Thanks!

Any suggestions or observations on living in this area?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-16-15 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 01:42 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
.Any suggestions on finding the not-to-fast and not-to-slow riding partners in a city where you are the stranger?
I had the same problem when I moved from the St. Louis area to Southern California in '95 (by the way I knew Steve Parks from The Cyclery in Edwardsville and Hal from Bicycle World Belleville!). They knew me as Rick from Clayton Cycle (wholesale distributor) back in the day.

When I moved to SoCal I began riding with different clubs to find one I liked. After trying BCI, Los Angeles Wheelmen and Orange County Wheelmen I found I had better rides and enjoyed the folks that rode with OCRR the best. So that's where I hung my metaphorical helmet.

Several years along the line (wow, almost 20!) I now do lots of LA Wheelmen and Orange County Wheelmen rides in addtion to the OCRR rides. Funny how that all works out! I still have several friends at BCI too, though I haven't done any of their rides for awhile.

When I lived in St.Louis I rode with St. Louis Cycling Club, but that was a racing club (mostly) back then and probably still is, so not recommeded for you. St.L.CC is an very old club though; dates from 1887, back when they rode high-wheelers!

Link to STLCC facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/StLouisCyclingClub

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 01-16-15 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Lotus 300M, Raleigh Revinio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Yes, I'm planning on stopping there today. I should be able to find a happy medium among these rides.

Now that sounds like my group, and a general description of my life! Thanks!

Any suggestions or observations on living in this area?
In general we like Edwardsville a lot, one of the nicer towns in the area, more laid back. Glen Carbon also, nice small town feel. As you go farther south on 159 you get more strip malls, etc. Fairview Heights basically an older area, but over to O Fallon things get really suburban strip mall. Some older neighborhoods but nothing special. Belleville is an old German town, the old downtown is still vibrant.

And of course one of the favorite after ride stops is Peel Pizza. Maybe not Chicago deep dish but definitely better than Imo's, which you have to try at least once to get a taste of St. Louis Style pizza.

Rides up the Great River Road are fun too, runs along the Mississippi, nice in fall.

Grew up in South St. Louis, (you'll hear the name Dogtown) moved to Socal, Asia, East Tennesee, back to STL, now in Solvang, CA. of all the places like Solvang, and East TN best.
Old 01-17-15, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JetAgeHobo

Happy trails.
JAH, We may well know each other. I've been riding with the B.A.B.E.S for a couple of decades. I don't know if you heard, but Roger Carlson died unexpectedly. He started the B.A.B.E.S, Tour de Stooges, and was one of the founders of the original Tour de Donut.

I'd also recommend the St. Louis Recreational Cyclists (AKA Turbos and Turtles). They mostly are retirees and shift workers who ride on weekdays. Their average ride is around 30 to 50 miles. There's not much on their ride schedule, but once the weather gets better, they have about 4 rides a week. St. Louis Recreational Cyclists

I'm heading down to Collinsville at around noon today to get in about 30-40 miles on the MTC trails.
Old 01-17-15, 08:36 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I live in a bike friendly area, as well. Our town of 3500 has a road going on the lakeshore where in the summer it is quite busy with cyclists and walkers. You find a friendly attitude everywhere you ride. Enjoy your new area!
Old 01-19-15, 11:27 AM
Have bike, will travel

I was fortunate to have a superb cycling weekend in Madison county. I met up with @JerrySTL and we completed two rides for a total of 58 miles. The weather was above 50f both days.

We covered a significant part of the local bike path system. The quality is superb, high quality pavement and freedom from vehicle traffic is a great experience. The path is mostly covered in a canopy of trees as you ride along watershed and parkland.

My thanks to Jerry. I don't think Ill be joining a group ride just yet. Ill wait until I've ridden a thousand miles YTD and lost a few LBS.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-19-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-19-15, 01:40 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the area. I have a friend that rides Saturday mornings from the Cyclery, and they ride FAST; at least the group he rides with. I ride with a group that has riders on both sides of the river. We always welcome new riders to the group, and try to mix up the ride locations to get as many involved as possible. This includes your neck of the woods and South of you starting at Columbia, IL. where I will be having my second annual "ride my age" ride this April. We also have regular rides on the Katy, usually riding out to Augusta, MO for lunch and hydration; rides in the West St. Louis hills; and on the roads North of St. Charles, which is pretty close to you as well. You are always welcome to join in. Drop me a message if you want to be included on the email list.
Old 01-19-15, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by flyfisherbob
Welcome to the area. I have a friend that rides Saturday mornings from the Cyclery, and they ride FAST; at least the group he rides with. I ride with a group that has riders on both sides of the river. We always welcome new riders to the group, and try to mix up the ride locations to get as many involved as possible. This includes your neck of the woods and South of you starting at Columbia, IL. where I will be having my second annual "ride my age" ride this April. We also have regular rides on the Katy, usually riding out to Augusta, MO for lunch and hydration; rides in the West St. Louis hills; and on the roads North of St. Charles, which is pretty close to you as well. You are always welcome to join in. Drop me a message if you want to be included on the email list.
Do you ever ride with a 38 year old fellow from St Peters named "Paul"? That's my son.
Old 01-19-15, 06:36 PM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Are you with the Columbia Cycle Club or St. Louis Recreational Cyclists? Know Wayne Marsh by chance?

It sure was a good weekend to ride in the St. Louis area with the temps up about 15 degrees above normal.
Old 01-21-15, 03:35 PM
Have bike, will travel

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the welcome. PM sent, I look forward to meeting you.

Michael
Old 01-21-15, 04:29 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Sounds like a great move.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069