Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Who's got the oldest bike shorts?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Who's got the oldest bike shorts?

Old 01-25-15, 06:49 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Let's ask the more important question - Who has the SHORTEST bike shorts? LOL The "oldest" doesn't sound very sanitary...

^ Nice bike.

Old 01-28-15, 02:43 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I'm thinking somewhere around 1980 - purchased from REI, Berkeley (store #2 ), a thin spandex-type w/natural leather chamois. I lost interest in riding that same year, they lived in a drawer, I got married, moved through 5 houses/2 states, first worn again in 2010. Great shorts. They are getting a little thin and see-though now, I wear them as under-liners.

My adult son worked at REI as a pre-grad school job, we've done long rides together - my wearing those shorts. The mind boggles.
Old 01-29-15, 05:04 AM
Banned

Bikes: 3 road, 2 touring, 1 MTB, 1 hybrid, 1 cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just retired after almost 30 years

I have an old pair of Nike cycle sorts that I bought in 1986 - so they are just short of their 30th birthday. May not be the oldest here. I ride early in the mornings with a group of friends and it is often dark when I get up. I change in the dark so I won't wake up my wife. Yesterday I reached into my shorts drawer, pulled out a pair and pulled them on. About 5km into the ride, when the sun was starting to come up, the rider behind me suggested it might be time for a new pair. I had split the seam just above my saddle. No fear that flatulence would balloon my shorts. They are now retired - with honour if not politesse.

Alan
www.taylerknightbiketours.com
Old 01-29-15, 10:13 AM

Bikes: N+1+1+1+1+1 etc

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've a few pairs from the mid 80s

along with some jerseys

and my Lotto Jacket & shoe covers

Old 01-29-15, 10:14 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I was reading the current threads about new tights, new shorts, and someone asking what was under the shorts, so the question hit me and having no reliable filter from thought to post I pose it here:

Who has the record for spectacularly old biking shorts? How is it working out for you?
I have a pair from 1981, but the spandex/elastic is pretty blown out.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 01-29-15, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Wow - it's unexpected but judging from this informal unscientific survey there is a cluster of oldest shorts about 34-35 years old, which seems to be the limit on them.

I would have expected more of a bell curve, biased to older given the ages of members of this sub-forum, but still a curve. It leads me to wonder if there's something about the materials of shorts from that era, that causes them to disintegrate after around 35 years.
Old 01-29-15, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
have a mint pair from about 1985, my first pair with chamois, think by Tommaso?

Was too self conscientious to wear them as a teen, which is why they are still mint

It is a size 1, when I wrestled at 108, but now at 150, would be a butt crack nightmare...
Old 01-29-15, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Wow - it's unexpected but judging from this informal unscientific survey there is a cluster of oldest shorts about 34-35 years old, which seems to be the limit on them.

I would have expected more of a bell curve, biased to older given the ages of members of this sub-forum, but still a curve. It leads me to wonder if there's something about the materials of shorts from that era, that causes them to disintegrate after around 35 years.
I know a couple of fellows with functional shorts from the 60s and 70s. Those folks are just too old to bother with something as idiotic as the internet. I suspect that may be the limiting factor here.
Old 01-29-15, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I know a couple of fellows with functional shorts from the 60s and 70s. Those folks are just too old to bother with something as idiotic as the internet. I suspect that may be the limiting factor here.
Plausible, but to me it doesn't add up. 35 years, plus however old someone would be to buy their own shorts, say 18 or 20, that would be 55 years old. Lots of people 55 or older use the internet, however idiotic it is, so it seems to me that the cut-off to support your theory would have to be something longer than 35 years. So there is still room for some mystery there.
Old 01-29-15, 01:30 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts

I have wool shorts and tights from around 1981 that are holding up well (I did have elastic replaced on a couple, and a new chamois put in one), and lycra shorts from around 1984 that are threadbare and saggy.
Old 01-29-15, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
My oldest are from a bike ride in 1995. I rarely wear them, so they're still in pretty good shape. They're a little tighter than they used to be, though...
Old 01-29-15, 03:15 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got some wool cycling shorts that are at least 30 years old, perhaps 35. In fact, they have real chamois leather in them. However, I haven't worn them in years and not sure if they still fit me, plus the chamois is pretty stiff.
Old 01-29-15, 03:35 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
During this past year's Cino Heroica ride (you must ride a classic "heroic" bike and are encouraged to wear wool kit), I overheard one old guy at the rest stop say that he was wearing his wool Kucharik shorts from the 70's. Now, if you are not familiar with Kucharik, they made some of the most unstylish bike clothing ever sewn. Their leather hairnet, for example, looked like a thick wad of sausages strung together. Their jerseys were "boxy." This guy's shorts were no better. They were completely formless and quite baggy, and they probably weren't much better when they were new. Well, at least they lasted 40 years...

Anyway, I wouldn't be too proud of old shorts, especially those made of lycra. The lycra gets thin with repeated wear and washings, so even if the chamois is still in good shape, and all the seams are intact, after a short time, you can see right thru the stretch material. I once followed a shapely female cyclist along the Burke-Gilman trail in Seattle. The sun was at our backs, and I must say, she might just as well not have been wearing shorts because the material had become transparent in direct sunlight!

All my old shorts that are still too comfortable to throw out are used only in the winter, underneath long tights!

Luis
Old 01-29-15, 03:48 PM

Plausible, but to me it doesn't add up. 35 years, plus however old someone would be to buy their own shorts, say 18 or 20, that would be 55 years old. Lots of people 55 or older use the internet, however idiotic it is, so it seems to me that the cut-off to support your theory would have to be something longer than 35 years. So there is still room for some mystery there.
Well, yeah, and lots of people have posted here about their 35 year old shorts. The 20 year old who bought his shorts in 1960, though, is in his mid-seventies...
Old 01-29-15, 09:17 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
My oldest shorts are about 15 years old, but do not get much use anymore. If I lose 15 pounds though they will be back in use. I have 3 - 4 pairs of shorts I love and when I have a pair that is comfortable I make them last as long as I can. I have a few pairs I dislike that are approaching 10 - 12 years old. I also have a pair of very heavy winter Bellweather GoreTex tights that are from 1989 so I guess 26 years old, but they are not worn much which is why they are still around.
Old 01-29-15, 09:19 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
^ Nice bike.
Too fast for me, but maybe back when my oldest bike shorts were new!
Old 01-29-15, 09:41 PM

Oh, I'll bet you could find the motivation to stay on her wheel.
Old 02-01-15, 07:40 AM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
20 to 25 ish years old. I don't wear them outside unless they are under tights, etc. as they are see through in places I'd rather they not be...they also make great trainer shorts...
Old 02-01-15, 02:12 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Mine oldest are a pair of old Specialized from the early 90s, but I only wear them under my hiking or cargo shorts. Yeah, it looks kinda funny with the lycra cycling shorts having a longer inseam than the hiking shorts, but I have my wallet, keys, knife and cell phone in the pockets when I'm out on my casual rides or commuting. I don't race, so the jersey thing isn't for me - I'd rather just wear a t-shirt or golf shirt. Comfort is my goal. Besides, going into a bar for a bite of lunch while wearing 'kit' looks kind of silly...
Old 02-01-15, 04:15 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
I had a couple pairs of touring shorts, from the '80s with the chamois pretty much worn out in them last year before giving them up.