Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Now my wife wants a recumbent trike (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/991292-now-my-wife-wants-recumbent-trike.html)

BikeArkansas 01-26-15 06:33 AM

Now my wife wants a recumbent trike

A few days ago I wrote about purchasing a recumbent trike, which was done because of being limited in riding due to injuries. Well, now my wife wants one. While visitig with some biking friends yesterday she discovered some "closet trike owners" were out there. People we have known for some time and did not know they own trikes and love riding them. These friends ride the trikes in their neighborhoods and other trails, but not at the group rides. My wife is a very good rider (She rode her Cannondale in some harsh winds yesterday.) but insists there is no reason for her missing out on the fun I and some newly discovered trike owners are having. Little did I know about this new world of riding when I picked up this used trike.

rdmjr 01-26-15 07:26 AM

The same thing happened to me - I got a trike, and once my wife saw how much fun I was having, she wanted one too. Of course, neither one of us is ever going to be mistaken for a strong rider - I got my trike because of lower back issues, and she has neck and upper back issues. If it weren't for trikes, we wouldn't be riding at all. (Added via edit:) If you haven't already found it, check out 'BentRider Online - I learned a lot there.
- Bob

10 Wheels 01-26-15 07:29 AM

Good for her...

avidone1 01-26-15 08:12 AM

I gotta admit, recumbent trikes do look like a lot of fun. I have some issues that at some point may require me to get a trike, but I have so much to learn.
For example, why do some trikes have the two wheels in the front and others have them in the back? LOL....like I said I have a lot to learn

10 Wheels 01-26-15 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by avidone1 (Post 17500996)
I gotta admit, recumbent trikes do look like a lot of fun. I have some issues that at some point may require me to get a trike, but I have so much to learn.
For example, why do some trikes have the two wheels in the front and others have them in the back? LOL....like I said I have a lot to learn

Jetrike.Com - Tadpole or Delta?

10 Wheels 01-26-15 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by avidone1 (Post 17500996)

more

Recumbent Trike Information

rydabent 01-26-15 09:18 AM

You will have that. Many wives have tried their husbands trikes and have decided they wanted one.

Bob Ross 01-26-15 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 17501009)

Whoa! Cool article, thanks.

BlazingPedals 01-26-15 10:46 AM

There is a buyer's guide at recumbents.com which you can use to give you a list of trike manufacturers.

obed7 01-26-15 10:51 AM

sounds great to me...I love for the wife to be involved in the things I do...we do not do trikes, but she is my favorite riding partner.

BlazingPedals 01-26-15 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 17501025)

Even though I'm not a Trike Guy(tm), I would take issue with a few statements made about tadpoles:

With the rider well behind the front tires the seat has to be lower to remain stable enough.
and...

Sport models have low reclined seats for agility and speed. Comfort is not an option.
I get the distinct impression that the writer of that article rode a delta. On a tadpole, the rider's center of gravity is just behind the front wheels, and the seat is down low not because there's any inherent instability but because those two front wheels can generate so much turning force. And "comfort is not an option..." really?

BikeArkansas 01-26-15 12:48 PM

The process for me to decide which model to buy was made by the fact that the seller owned a Scorpion FX. Research was very easy.