Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Name Your Oddest Flat Tire Causer

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Name Your Oddest Flat Tire Causer

Old 01-31-15, 07:03 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
But you can say guns plural.

I was having "nipple pimple" problems for a while. Never caused an on the road flat, but I'd go out in the morning to find a flat tire.

It seems the rims with a 42mm tire weren't happy.

High pressure mylar rim tape with Velox over the top solved the problem. Either one by itself didn't work out.
Old 02-01-15, 10:46 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Surly Disc Trucker, Santa Cruz Blur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two situations, both caused by inattention, one mountain biking, one on the road. And then a multi-puncture record.

While mountain biking on a local suburban loop, I was on a section of boring dirt "sidewalk" and zoning out, when I suddenly realized someone had piled up a bunch of cactus pads across the trail. Too late to do anything, even bunny hop, I plowed right through it. Sure enough, both tires/tubes went instantly flat. I found each tire filled with spines. The worst was that these were brand new tires, now completely destroyed - even with all the spines pulled out, there remain "mini-spines" - backward facing stiff hairs that force the cactus spines deeper into your flesh, which in a tire can be a cause of repeated flats.

I called my wife to come pick me up.

Near the end of a long road ride, I was only a mile or so from home and weary. Zoning out again, I let my front wheel wander into a long crack in the asphalt. The crack was just tire width, and jagged. Again, both tires/tubes taken out. Again I called my long-suffering wife!

The worst ride for punctures was a ride with my friend, Jim, who early in the ride suffered a double snake bite on his front tube - two double punctures on each side of the tube from slamming into a small pothole. Total of four holes two patch. It took him two re-inflations to discover all of them!

Later in the ride, we had temporarily ended up on the tail of a large club ride. Somewhere near the front, someone managed to flip the steel cover off of an 8 inch pipe coming up to the surface of the road. The cover got knocked around as riders swerved wildly to avoid it. Jim never got to the hockey scrim with the cover, as he slammed into the open pipe end, and once again got double snake bites on his front tube!

That made for a total of eight holes in his tube on a single ride! Anybody got more than that???
Old 02-01-15, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I've had so many flats from Michelin wires, I can't see that they're unusual or wierd.

I had a flat once that I fixed, only to have it recur a couple more times a week or so apart. There wasn't anything sticking through the tire that caused it, though. The first flat was a clean cut, maybe 1/4" wide. As I continued riding with new tubes, that 1/4" cut started "chewing" on the tube, until it chewed its way through and started a leak.

The one that made me maddest was a Vittoria Randonneur tire. Apparently the sidewalls of the tire had wires to stiffen them. One wire broke, and started poking holes in my tubes. Every time I checked the inside of the tire, it had relaxed back into the rubber of the sidewall. I killed 4 tubes in one day before I found that sucker. (And I haven't bought another Vittoria tire since then!)
Old 02-01-15, 02:22 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Roadkill.

Narrow shoulder State highway and lots of traffic on my morning commute, so I was watching for traffic coming up behind me more than paying attention to what was on the road in front of me. Whatever that dead/flattened critter was, the bone fragments were sharp, slicing through the sidewall of my nearly-new Kevlar-belted touring tires...

Old 02-01-15, 06:27 PM

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
I was riding a paved trail in the local state park. A squirrel ran onto the path and stopped right in front of me. I swerved to keep from hitting him, went off the pavement and hit a tree root hard enough to pop my tube. The squirrel survived and I didn't fall. The tube was dead.

Old 02-01-15, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
When I was in high school and college, part of my work was fixing truck flats at a dump-truck place. About half the flats would be due to rocks that had worked their way through the tire. The other half were various bits of metal. Including a small C-clamp, a screwdriver, a railroad spike, etc. I started saving the metal bits and think I still have them around here somewhere.
Your photo reminds me of what was removed from a woman's stomach who suffered from pica (basically, eating things that are not food).
Old 02-01-15, 08:09 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Your photo reminds me of what was removed from a woman's stomach who suffered from pica (basically, eating things that are not food).
Or a great white in Jaws.
Old 02-02-15, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
The oddest has to be when I suddenly got a flat, and a 'hop' in my wheel. I ran over a ball point pen and the ink tube inside went through my tire and tube. And stuck there, which resulted in the hop.
Old 02-02-15, 07:46 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Most of my flats are either goatshead stickers or when the valve head irreparably fails (after a long life with no flats).

The most dramatic was when the nice air-conditioned LBS topped off both tires after replacing one flat. About 2 miles down the hot asphalt road, BOOM both tires blew off the rim. No sag was available but it was just a couple of hot miles walking home.

The most unusual time was when I bike-commuted 8 miles to work, then before riding home noticed that my well-worn rear tire was showing threads and bulging over the edge of the rim. The innertube was visible for over 1" through the tear. So I headed out for my commute towards home, riding really slow and absolutely babying it on corners. As an Athena with a 30# bike with a rack and loaded pannier, there was quite a load on the wheels. After making it through the entire 8 mile distance WITHOUT flatting, I took the bike to the LBS to buy a new tire. We were all amazed that you could stick two fingers all the way through the tire split with the innertube undamaged. And most likely the tire had been split on my way to work, so I could have traveled most of the 16 mile round trip with the tire split.
Old 02-02-15, 10:33 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Riding my bicycle sideways caused a flat and my rear wheel to taco. I was riding it sideways (I was not sideways on the bike, the bike was going sideways) because another cyclist stiff-armed me as I passed him. We both went down when my rim warped.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-03-15, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 931 Posts
Rock, brick or other blunt object. Riding ninja in Tucson yrs ago. The road surface was invisible. Just a smooth black river. The sides of the road were barely visible shadows. Never saw the rock, brick or whatever. Next morning my rear tire was flat.
Old 02-03-15, 09:45 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Some of these are a hoot.

My odd flat causer isn't really odd at all around here. Broken mussel shells. Those damn seagulls drop them on the bike path to crack them open.

Old 02-03-15, 11:53 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by locolobo13
Rock, brick or other blunt object. Riding ninja in Tucson yrs ago. The road surface was invisible. Just a smooth black river. The sides of the road were barely visible shadows. Never saw the rock, brick or whatever. Next morning my rear tire was flat.
The Phantom Flatter strikes again.
Old 02-03-15, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Got back from a ride and rolled my bike into the garage. I was in the process of taking off my helmet, gloves, etc. when I noticed that the tire was noticeably flatter than normal. When I checked, I found a small staple loosely protruding from the tire. Not a big industrial staple but just a little tiny staple from an office-type stapler. I had ridden 35 trouble-free miles only to get a flat tire in my garage after I got off my bike.
Old 02-03-15, 09:05 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
But you can say guns plural.

I was having "nipple pimple" problems for a while. Never caused an on the road flat, but I'd go out in the morning to find a flat tire.

It seems the rims with a 42mm tire weren't happy.

High pressure mylar rim tape with Velox over the top solved the problem. Either one by itself didn't work out.
Did you try filing off any of the spoke that protrudes above the top of the nipple? That can help too.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-03-15, 10:04 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
The first thing I did was completely deburr and smooth the holes before replacing the factory rubber rim strip with Velox. Didn't help. Only worked for a few hundred miles. My original theory was that it was the factory rim strip that had clearly extruded into the nipple holes.

It seems it was a confluence of the 42mm tire diameter and the rim size. I suspect that that's because the tire/rim combination forces the tube into a pear shape.

A layer of high pressure mylar rim tape and then the Velox over the top of that cured the problem. About a 1,000 miles now with no additional problems. Velox by itself didn't work and the high pressure tape by itself extruded too. The combination has worked fine and no problems with interference on getting the bead to seat .
Old 02-04-15, 08:01 AM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I was riding the shoulder of a divided highway and had an instant blowout. My front tire was sliced all the way across the tread. I made a boot of a couple dollar bills, put in a new tube and rode the six miles home.
Curiosity got the best of me and I drove out to the scene of the flat. Walking the shoulder I found ten box cutter blades intact and the pieces of several more. Had I not picked them they could have caused many more instant flats.
Old 02-04-15, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by a77impala
I was riding the shoulder of a divided highway and had an instant blowout. My front tire was sliced all the way across the tread. I made a boot of a couple dollar bills, put in a new tube and rode the six miles home.
Curiosity got the best of me and I drove out to the scene of the flat. Walking the shoulder I found ten box cutter blades intact and the pieces of several more. Had I not picked them they could have caused many more instant flats.
Yikes. I dont want to imagine wiping out and being sliced or stabbed by one of those.
Old 02-04-15, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Montag311
I found a small staple loosely protruding from the tire. Not a big industrial staple but just a little tiny staple from an office-type stapler. I had ridden 35 trouble-free miles only to get a flat tire in my garage after I got off my bike.
Staples are wierd. My daughter rode between 5-10 miles with a timber staple whapping her stay before we found it. No flat. Next day I hit a smaller timber staple and flatted immediately.
Old 02-07-15, 06:36 PM

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Once went out for a longish ride starting out in cool weather on a day forecast to get fairly hot. I wore some kind of long sleeve jersey intending to remove it when things warmed up. They warmed up and I tied it around my waist. Somehow some piece of the jersey got caught up in my rear brake calipers on a fairly high speed downhill. It got sucked up between the calipers and the tire and literally shredded both the tire and tube. The brakes had to be removed so that the tire/tube could be replaced.

dave
Old 02-07-15, 06:50 PM

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Paper clip.
Old 02-07-15, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Here is one that didn't go flat--go figure. I picked up some road debris between my rear wheel and the fender. It locked up my rear wheel, but did not seem to really hurt anything. I rode the 4 miles home, including a 28 mph downhill. I was looking at my rear fender, which folded pretty spectacularly, when I noticed this:
Old 02-08-15, 10:01 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, Specialized Roubiax,S-Work Roubaix, Specialized Amira S-Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ex wife she slit the tires on my bike.

Poon
Old 02-08-15, 10:47 PM
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a puncture from something on my first RAGBRAI. Patched or replaced the tube after carefully checking the hole in the tire for any sharp debris without finding any. It was fine for several weeks but then I got another flat. On inspection it was right over that old hole so I checked again without finding any debris. Near as I could tell and the same conclusion someone above reached, the rough rubber edges of the hole gradually chewed through the inner tube. This time I patched the tube and put a patch on the inside of the tire and no trouble since.

I also kinda got a flat on rollers last winter. Not exactly but one night while filling the tires I managed to bend the stem holding the Presta valve sealer one bend past the point of metal fatigue when I put the filler hose on and of course as I pumped air in the tire the internal part of the valve got blown into the tube and when I took the filler off there was nothing left to seal the valve, hisssssssss
Old 02-09-15, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Poonjabby
My ex wife she slit the tires on my bike.

Poon
They werent new, I hope.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.