Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Brooks Flyer or B67

Old 02-12-15, 08:26 PM
HamptonT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brooks Flyer or B67

I'm having trouble deciding on which seat. I'm building a Surly Ogre. My 50+ rear end would probably prefer the B67 but I think the Flyer is more appropriate for the build.
Old 02-13-15, 06:51 AM
rdmjr

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'd go with the B67 - is it better to have a more appropriate build, or one you enjoy riding and will therefore ride more?
Old 02-13-15, 09:35 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5426 Post(s)
As I read.. B67- Bars pull back, above seat, Sit up straight . seat and bars level, lean forward a bit the sprung Flyer is B17 so said to be better..

but.. its between your butt and the saddle. not mine.
Old 02-13-15, 05:44 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
As I read.. B67- Bars pull back, above seat, Sit up straight . seat and bars level, lean forward a bit the sprung Flyer is B17 so said to be better..
+1. The Flyer is a B-17 with springs. The B-67 is wider for your sit-bones when in a more upright position with your handlebars higher than your seat. I'd use a line-level to determine if your handlebar to seat difference. For "regular" body types go with the Flyer if level or handlebars lower. Higher handlebars go with the B-67.
Old 06-25-18, 09:14 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I wanted to add a comment to this thread because it is the most recent thread that comes up for a google search in 2018 when doing a search for "Brooks B67 versus the Flyer..."

After a lot of research on this topic, I purchased a B67 first. I had no prior experience with Brooks or leather saddles before and this was my first purchase of a good saddle for myself. I ride a lot of miles every day, typically 30-50 miles a day (48-80 kilometers), with a 75 mile (120 kilometers) ride not uncommon.

I also originally did some research for the B67 for a touring saddle and found folks saying they were using them for touring and thought this would be a good fit. I personally wouldn't recommend this type of saddle when you are putting that many miles in. Perpetual chaffing/sore from where the B67 is wider and flanges out. Personally, I would use this saddle if you were putting it on some type of cruiser bike, but not for serious miles.

I received a new Flyer today and right out of the box after a long ride the difference was night and day. I could tell immediately where I was struggling with the B67 it doesn't seem to hurt as much anymore. I will update this if anything changes after a couple of hundred miles on the bike. But I wanted to give feedback on this choice because there is not a lot of current information or opinions about the difference between the B67 and Flyer. Since this thread comes up first in google search in the year 2018 and original OP was 2015, I thought I would update it with some feedback.

I also thought it was important because you can't really "try out" a Brooks saddle and find out you are on the wrong one like I did. Once it is removed from the package or used in any capacity at all, it is not returnable to the merchants (at least in the U.S.). It is no fun finding out you are on the wrong seat when you are paying these kinds of prices for saddles and you don't have the luxury of shelling out money for seat after seat to find the correct one.

I "think" I would have known up front if I was able to try both saddles out side by side even if it was for a ride around the parking lot on the two different saddles. But that was not an option at all. They didn't even want me putting the Brooks saddle on my seat post as to not accidentally scratch the rails and then they can't resell the saddle. It's extremely difficult making a purchase for a saddle when you can't even sit on it in any capacity up front to see if the width between the two will be OK for you.

If you are going to be in a more upright position and not putting tons of miles on then I think the B67 is a good saddle, although it takes an extremely long time to break it in. If you are going to be putting in a lot of miles and don't necessarily need the wider seat, I would not get it. The Flyer seemed like the better choice for me.

Thanks

Last edited by COBikeLover; 06-25-18 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 09:18 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Are you set on a Brooks? I ask, as Selle Anatomica gets good reviews (I haven't tried one-yet) and I was surprised to hear Brooks doesn't offer returns, Selle Anatomica does: https://selleanatomica.com/pages/return-policy From the reviews I've read, my next saddle will be one. Some reviews from here: https://www.bikeforums.net/threadloom.php?do=process Not trying to sway you from the Brooks, just thought I'd mention, in case you didn't know of them.
Old 07-02-18, 03:35 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
Are you set on a Brooks? I ask, as Selle Anatomica gets good reviews (I haven't tried one-yet) and I was surprised to hear Brooks doesn't offer returns, Selle Anatomica does: https://selleanatomica.com/pages/return-policy From the reviews I've read, my next saddle will be one. Some reviews from here: https://www.bikeforums.net/threadloom.php?do=process Not trying to sway you from the Brooks, just thought I'd mention, in case you didn't know of them.
I wasn't aware of them. Thanks for mentioning them and it is good for folks to know about the return policy. I think that was the biggest struggle for me going into all this because I just didn't have the option of trying any of their saddles in any capacity prior to buying it. Even at the store, I felt like "touching it" was an issue as they were scared the rails would get the slightest scratch on them, never mind just put it on my bike for a moment to see how the initial feel is. I would have looked at that company more based on the return policy alone. In the end, it worked out for me and I am starting to get adjusted more each day to the Brooks Flyer I have.
Old 07-09-18, 03:48 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I have a Flyer on one bike, a B17 on the other. Although I am 260#, I can't say I feel any 'give' from the stiff springs on the Flyer, even when I go through potholes.

Have your sitbone distance measured, but unless you put the saddle on a cruiser, a B17 or any of its derivatives will probably fit.