Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone know Richmond, VA?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-14-15, 09:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 79 Posts

My GF and I have been wanting to run off for a couple days to someplace relatively near that we've never seen before. Just a 3-4 day March break to get away from the mountains of snow around here. In March we will be down in NJ just west of NYC to see family. So, we were thinking of heading out from there to Richmond. I know next to nothing about the town and was hoping someone here might have some advice about places to see, stay, eat and hang-out. Our preference would be to stay in an area that's "quaint" or historic where we could walk to places. TIA
Old 02-14-15, 10:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might do better on the regional forum.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-14-15, 11:04 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
You might do better on the regional forum.
But then I might miss comments from those who have been there but are not from that region.
Old 02-14-15, 11:11 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
But then I might miss comments from those who have been there but are not from that region.
True, but you seemed to be asking for some pretty specific local knowledge.

Of course, nothing stops you from posting in both places.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-14-15, 11:26 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
True, but you seemed to be asking for some pretty specific local knowledge.

Of course, nothing stops you from posting in both places.
I have found some of the mods here to be a little OCD so I was not aware I could do that. Thanks.
Old 02-14-15, 11:49 AM
Bandera 
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 91 Posts
I lived there at the turn of the century so 'things' have changed no doubt.
It was a thoroughly Southern city, which I prefer, that has preserved much of it's heritage.
If you are interested in Civil War sites you are good to go.

The Shockoe Slip & Bottom area is where the '15 UCI Road championships will be held w/ old brick & cobbled streets and had lots of night life.
Havana 59 was a bit a bit of a hangout in the Bottom: Havana 59 - Shockoe Bottom - Richmond, VA | Yelp

-Bandera
Old 02-14-15, 12:13 PM
FBinNY 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have found some of the mods here to be a little OCD so I was not aware I could do that. Thanks.
You're not supposed to do multiple posts of the same thing, but I doubt that applies to going to multiple forums because of the different audiences. There are plenty of technical questions that are posted in the road forum for example, then reposted in the mechanical forum.

Since this is also a touring type question you might try there also (if you're taking the bikes).

Old 02-15-15, 08:54 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
The Shockoe Slip & Bottom area is where the '15 UCI Road championships will be held w/ old brick & cobbled streets and had lots of night life.
This is a good place for bars, restaurants and just a trendy spot. Many people visiting also make the trip to Colonial Williamsburg. If you're there for a few days, a tip to the Tidewater area of Norfolk, Hampton, Va Beach, etc., is nice. There's a lot of Civil War history around it. There aren't landmark spots where all the tourists go like DC, NYC, Philly, etc., so it's not like that. But it's more like a laid back area with lots of casual things yo do.
Old 02-15-15, 01:34 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend who lives there -- keen biker, knows the city well, likes it a lot. PM me if you want more information -- I'd probably offer her your email address and let the two of you get in contact that way. But she's on the road a lot, so I don't even know for sure that she's around right now.
Old 02-16-15, 09:55 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur, Gary Fisher X-Caliber, Focus Arriba, Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We meet my wife's family there during the holiday season, since some come from the north and others from the south. We stay downtown at the Omni, great location. You can walk to many restaurants at the Shockoe Slip and Downtown areas, and get along the Canal walk to the Civil War museum. I wish I would have brought my MTB, there is some riding over one of the bridges on an island in the James River and it was certainly mild enough during our last few late-December visits. Carytown, just a few miles away from downtown, is a great afternoon-killer with shops and restaurants packed close, including 3 bike shops within one block. Don't miss the Capital Ale house, which has one of the larger draft menus I've seen, and has a refrigerated strip on the bar to set your glass on.
Old 02-17-15, 10:55 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I've done some organized rides around there. Mostly quite flat, not awfully scenic. Good bike club (RABA.org) probably has some suggested routes. I prefer the riding in the Williamsburg area, and across the river (on the ferry) in Surry County.
Old 02-27-15, 12:13 PM
Oldoarsman

Bikes: 2011 Linear 3.0 XL, Cannondale Adventure 400, Univega Supra Sport, Trek T200 tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from Richmond, Bruce19!

I grew up about ten miles NW of Hartford, and worked in Hartford and the Farmington River Valley after college. We moved to Richmond back in 1995, so I have some local knowledge for you from a geographically challenged Connecticut Yankee.

Richmond is hosting the World UCI Road Championships in late September, and has done quite a bit to prepare for this huge event! Marked bicycle lanes are appearing on roads where they previously did not exist, and a number of new bike-friendly trails and converted roads are opening up to complement the existing ones previously mentioned by others. I understand that the actual routes for the championship rides will be marked and open for riding prior to the actual races.

Later this year, we are anticipating the completion of the Richmond to Williamsburg "Cap to Cap" Trail which will follow route 5 on the north side of the James past old plantations and historical sites.

You will find much pre-colonial, colonial, and civil war history here and a number the battlefields may be connected via bicycle. The colonial sites between Yorktown, Williamsburg, and Jamestown are worth a look and are easily accessible via the aging pavement of the Colonial Parkway (wider tires and some suspension components will alleviate some of the bumpiness of the Parkway).

If Civil War history is of interest, it is possible to ride between an number of the (1862) Seven Days battlefields; and if you have longer touring aspirations, the battlefields from 1862-65 (Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor and Petersburg) can be connected.

RABA (Richmond Area Bicycle Association) is a great organization and has sponsored rides all week. They can be easily found via a Google search.

Richmond has also become something of a gastronomical destination with a number of excellent restaurants in Shockoe Bottom, Shockoe Slip, downtown, the "Fan" and Museum districts, Carytown, and in the surrounding area.

Hopefully, our recent snow will be a distant memory when you are in the area next month. It is
possible to ride in all twelve months as we do have a number of warmer days during the winter, but this winter has been unusually cold.

I wish you a great trip!

Last edited by Oldoarsman; 02-28-15 at 07:04 AM.