View Single Post
Old 05-10-21, 07:43 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by hereandnow
Thanks for the responses.

As far as defining intensive exercise, the sports research cardiologist Dr. James O'Keefe, a former "long distance" athlete himself, recommends running no more than 15 miles a week. Making an estimated conversion to cycling, fwiw, my riding about 150 miles a week at a fairly brisk pace (I love it) is way over Dr. O'Keefe's standard (fwiw, my heart rate is typically 110ish during easy flats; in the 120s quite often; and in the 140s on hills).

We live our lives and take our chances to do what we really enjoy. That said, I am savoring every day of retirement and family and have a variety of interests. I would grudgingly give up cycling if it were certain that I was significantly cutting my life short, all other things equal. Just curious how others above age 55 view the subject who are acquainted with some of the related research or have formed strong opinions on the subject.
Please Read >>>> https://www.georgesheehan.com/bio

MY PCa (Prostate Cancer) while not metastasized at this time (???) was diagnosed as Gleason10, the highest grading PERIOD. Only 5 of every 100 men diagnosed have this high Gleason Score. My fate might be similar to Dr. Sheehan's so in the mean time I am exercising the crap out of my body as best I can. At this moment my bike is ready for a 10:45pm departure (little more than 1 hour) and will be riding at least 50 miles or my age in 2 months from today of 71yo. My suggestion would be to talk to another cardiologist if everything else with you is fine.

Happy exercising!!!
Likes For OldTryGuy: