Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Is this bike too big for me?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and dont know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. Its more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, youll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya go..the location for everything fit related.

Is this bike too big for me?

Old 06-27-19, 12:23 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is this bike too big for me?

Im 55 with a 28-30 inseam and the bike is a Raleigh Tourist 2018 in small size 52 700c tires. The top bar is all up in my crotch. The bike is nice but maybe too big? Im used to BMX. It rides nice enough but getting in it is awkward. I can tip toe from the seat with the post all the way down.
madoser is offline  
Old 06-27-19, 11:25 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,593

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
yes
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 06-27-19, 12:57 PM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Can you straddle the top, frame tube, standing flat footed ahead of .. not on the saddle ?
any clearance then?

you adjust the saddle height, for leg extension, relative to the pedals, not the ground ...
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-27-19, 07:49 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Windsor Ontario, Canada
Posts: 534

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
You should be able to stand flat footed over the top bar with some clearance, Otherwise It's too big. I too have about a 28" inseam. For those of us that have short legs we should either buy new bikes, Where we can choose the bike with a reasonable stand over height listed in the specs, Or try a used bike out before buying it. Given the make, year, model and size, we may be able to look up the specs and be reasonably sure it will fit.

This is why I bought Giant's Sedona X-Trail bike. The small frame has one of the lowest stand over heights of their men's bikes. Still next time I will try out a bike with a step through frame. I'm not proud! Just Lazy.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-27-19 at 07:52 PM.
xroadcharlie is offline  
Old 06-27-19, 09:23 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
You should be able to stand flat footed over the top bar with some clearance, Otherwise It's too big. I too have about a 28" inseam. For those of us that have short legs we should either buy new bikes, Where we can choose the bike with a reasonable stand over height listed in the specs, Or try a used bike out before buying it. Given the make, year, model and size, we may be able to look up the specs and be reasonably sure it will fit.

This is why I bought Giant's Sedona X-Trail bike. The small frame has one of the lowest stand over heights of their men's bikes. Still next time I will try out a bike with a step through frame. I'm not proud! Just Lazy.

Yeah I have to lean a bit not to hit the bits. However I did manage to score this bike for $190 new and its a $650 bike. The other bike was a creme caferacer uno which fit but at $399 plus tax its $245 more.
madoser is offline  
Old 06-29-19, 01:11 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 1,221

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
A FREE bike that doesn't fit is not a good deal.
Riveting is offline  
Likes For Riveting:
Old 06-29-19, 03:39 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago North Shore
Posts: 2,370

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 392 Posts
28"-30" is a very wide range. What is your actual 'cycling inseam'? See, for example, https://www.veloharmony.com/measuring-cycling-inseam/.
philbob57 is offline  
Old 06-30-19, 10:19 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,181
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 782 Posts
When I straddle the top tube on my LHT, I lightly touch the bar, but I can pull the bike up a bit before it hits hard. I could have gone with the next smaller frame, but wanted the larger frame so I could get the bars up higher without so many spacers stacked up. It has been fine for me for the last eight years, and I haven't hurt myself. As long as you can straddle the frame without hurting yourself, the standover height is fine, as long as you are okay with it, and the bike is adjusted to fit you.
phughes is offline  
Old 06-30-19, 10:21 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phughes
When I straddle the top tube on my LHT, I lightly touch the bar, but I can pull the bike up a bit before it hits hard. I could have gone with the next smaller frame, but wanted the larger frame so I could get the bars up higher without so many spacers stacked up. It has been fine for me for the last eight years, and I haven't hurt myself. As long as you can straddle the frame without hurting yourself, the standover height is fine, as long as you are okay with it, and the bike is adjusted to fit you.

Thanks for your advice
madoser is offline  
Likes For madoser:
Old 06-30-19, 12:06 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I ... wanted the larger frame so I could get the bars up higher without so many spacers stacked up.

an aesthetic choice ... since they ship with a pretty long steel steerer , to the dealers.. who can choose to cut it down .


Another factor .. top tube is a bit longer, proportional with a longer seat tube length, aka size..







....
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-30-19, 07:56 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,181
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I ... wanted the larger frame so I could get the bars up higher without so many spacers stacked up.

an aesthetic choice ... since they ship with a pretty long steel steerer , to the dealers.. who can choose to cut it down .


Another factor .. top tube is a bit longer, proportional with a longer seat tube length, aka size..

....
No kidding? Really? Yes, I am aware of all that, and chose the size I did accordingly. It is more than aesthetic, the size I got came with a longer steerer tube as well, which I specified uncut, so I could decide how much to cut off later. The head tube is longer on the 56 than it is on the 54 as well. Something else I wanted.

I also wanted the longer seat tube and top tube. I wanted the slightly longer wheelbase as well for stability.

Anything else Einstein?

Last edited by phughes; 06-30-19 at 08:41 PM.
phughes is offline  
Old 08-24-19, 02:02 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
sumgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 740
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Not sure about the advice here.
Is it a square frame or a sloping top tube.
If it is square you wont have much room between nuts and TT.
If it is sloping you will have heaps.
But unless you are doing something incredibly wrong, you should never have problems slamming nads into TT on any bike IMO.
sumgy is offline  
Likes For sumgy:
Old 08-29-19, 01:01 PM
  #13  
Virgo
 
Phamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: KFWA
Posts: 1,278

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 74 Posts
My cycling inseam is 34", standover height of my touring bike is around 32 3/4", standing over the level TT wearing shoes I can pull the bike up until the tires are maybe 1" off the ground before I can't pull it up any higher. But my shorts/pants and other "stuff" are normally "resting" on the TT.
Phamilton is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
crandress
Classic & Vintage
28
06-03-17 06:13 AM
Velo Mellow
General Cycling Discussion
16
10-06-14 09:54 AM
xaarondx
Classic & Vintage
5
11-04-11 06:24 PM
rhnam
Road Cycling
6
05-03-11 08:26 AM
Duo
Road Cycling
30
03-20-11 10:17 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.