Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane SLR, what size to choose?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Trek Domane SLR, what size to choose?

Old 02-14-20, 11:31 AM
  #1  
Cacan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Domane SLR, what size to choose?

Hi
Is it possible that someone can share their experience in regards of size for a Trek Domane SLR,2020?!

I am 193 cm tall and maybe you can share your inside measurement and tell me if you feel that you can stretch out enough?!?

Thanks and have a nice weekend
Cacan is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 11:40 AM
  #2  
ckindt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 255

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacan View Post
Hi
Is it possible that someone can share their experience in regards of size for a Trek Domane SLR,2020?!

I am 193 cm tall and maybe you can share your inside measurement and tell me if you feel that you can stretch out enough?!?

Thanks and have a nice weekend
I am exactly the same height. I ride two Domanes (2016 4.3 and a 2020 SLR P1) with a 62cm frame.
They are perfect.
ckindt is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 12:25 PM
  #3  
Cacan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt View Post
I am exactly the same height. I ride two Domanes (2016 4.3 and a 2020 SLR P1) with a 62cm frame.
They are perfect.
Thanks. Would it be possible if you could share the inside measurement of your legs? Do you have the seat post on the max level with the bike size 62?
Cacan is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 04:34 PM
  #4  
ckindt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 255

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacan View Post
Thanks. Would it be possible if you could share the inside measurement of your legs? Do you have the seat post on the max level with the bike size 62?
Hi. Sure.
My true cycling inseam in 36.75".
I have the long seat post and there is plenty left. I have both posts too; the 20mm and the 5mm setback. The 20 is on the bike in the pictures.
I can answer any other questions you may have regarding dimensions and maybe some others too.


ckindt is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 04:59 PM
  #5  
BengalCat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brentwood WLA
Posts: 319

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 49 Posts
I'm exactly the same height and my main bike is a five-year-old Domane, 62cm frame. My torso is a bit longer than average for my height and my legs a bit shorter. The stock stem on the bike was 110mm and I switched to a 120mm to accommodate the professional measurement and fit. The bike fits me perfectly.

Your bike shop or fitter can tell you all that you need to know. Unless your legs are longer than ninety-plus percent of men that are 193cm you have no worries.
BengalCat is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 05:32 PM
  #6  
Cacan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
thanks for your input!

Do you think that if I would Go for a size 58 then it would be become too small? If a looking at size 58 Vs 60 then there is a 4cm difference when looking at S"rail height maximum". (82.5 Vs 78.5cm) do you have on the maximum top level?

My concern is that if I go for the 58 then those 4 cm will result in that I can't stretch the leg straight enough or how much is your legs bend..
Cacan is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 06:04 PM
  #7  
ckindt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 255

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacan View Post
Hi
thanks for your input!

Do you think that if I would Go for a size 58 then it would be become too small? If a looking at size 58 Vs 60 then there is a 4cm difference when looking at S"rail height maximum". (82.5 Vs 78.5cm) do you have on the maximum top level?

My concern is that if I go for the 58 then those 4 cm will result in that I can't stretch the leg straight enough or how much is your legs bend..
Why are you comparing a 58 to a 60? At your height you should be looking at a 62 and maybe a 60.
The reach and stack will likely be to short for your height on the 58.
ckindt is offline  
Old 02-17-20, 03:16 AM
  #8  
Cacan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your good input! Much appreciated!
Cacan is offline  
Old 02-20-20, 11:59 AM
  #9  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 701

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacan View Post
Hi
thanks for your input!

Do you think that if I would Go for a size 58 then it would be become too small? If a looking at size 58 Vs 60 then there is a 4cm difference when looking at S"rail height maximum". (82.5 Vs 78.5cm) do you have on the maximum top level?

My concern is that if I go for the 58 then those 4 cm will result in that I can't stretch the leg straight enough or how much is your legs bend..
A 58 at 193cm? That's too small.
eduskator is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 04:02 AM
  #10  
peterne
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 3

Bikes: Salsa Fargo - Focus O1E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I am also close to decided on a Domane.

But I am not sure about the size.
I am 184 cm tall and my inseam is 92 cm. (The bike fitter told me I have long legs :-)
I am not flexible (hamstrings and back) and I never had a road bike. I own a Salsa Fargo with Jones handlebar a and a Focus O1E mtb.

My bike fitter believes 62 because I need a high stack. But the 62 looks huge. Reach for a 60 and 62 are almost the same. I would put a shorter stem on (70 or 80 mm)
Any advise on this? I was used to always test a bicycle before buying but this is not possible now.

I found out that there are not a lot of road bikes / gravel bikes with a combination of a hight stack and short reach. If you have other recommendations. Also welcome.
peterne is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 04:41 AM
  #11  
Cacan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterne View Post
Hi, I am also close to decided on a Domane.

But I am not sure about the size.
I am 184 cm tall and my inseam is 92 cm. (The bike fitter told me I have long legs :-)
I am not flexible (hamstrings and back) and I never had a road bike. I own a Salsa Fargo with Jones handlebar a and a Focus O1E mtb.

My bike fitter believes 62 because I need a high stack. But the 62 looks huge. Reach for a 60 and 62 are almost the same. I would put a shorter stem on (70 or 80 mm)
Any advise on this? I was used to always test a bicycle before buying but this is not possible now.

I found out that there are not a lot of road bikes / gravel bikes with a combination of a hight stack and short reach. If you have other recommendations. Also welcome.

After I did the bike fit then I actually went for 58 which suits me very good! See if there is a possibility to set up the Domane on a bike fit that will clarify!
Cacan is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 08:51 AM
  #12  
peterne
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 3

Bikes: Salsa Fargo - Focus O1E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacan View Post
After I did the bike fit then I actually went for 58 which suits me very good! See if there is a possibility to set up the Domane on a bike fit that will clarify!
True, but the problem is that it is difficult now as almost everything is closed and we can only make necessary movements.
But I did a bikefitting one year ago. My mtb setup changed a bit and we also did a fit for a gravel bike.
I never rode a dropbar bicycle so I was not sure if the fit was 100%. Difficult to say when you switch from a mtb setup straight to a gravel setup and with no experience dropbars.

The estimate reach was 385 and the stack was 660 for a dropbar bicycle.
So thats why he recommends a 62. But on the Trek website a 62 is recommended for (189 - 198)
And I am only 184 ....
peterne is offline  
Old 04-27-20, 04:35 PM
  #13  
smashndash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 920

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by peterne View Post
True, but the problem is that it is difficult now as almost everything is closed and we can only make necessary movements.
But I did a bikefitting one year ago. My mtb setup changed a bit and we also did a fit for a gravel bike.
I never rode a dropbar bicycle so I was not sure if the fit was 100%. Difficult to say when you switch from a mtb setup straight to a gravel setup and with no experience dropbars.

The estimate reach was 385 and the stack was 660 for a dropbar bicycle.
So thats why he recommends a 62. But on the Trek website a 62 is recommended for (189 - 198)
And I am only 184 ....
I’d personally err towards the smaller bike and see if I could adapt to it. If not, I would just order a riser stem like this:
https://mikesbikes.com/products/serv...gaArRjEALw_wcB

Imo road/gravel bikes are not really meant to be ridden super upright. Even mtbers are pretty low, they just expend their reach on ultra-wide bars. One of my friends hypothesizes that the main reason people feel so confident with wide bars is because they “crucify” you into a forward position, which is better for control.

Domanes also have Trek’s seatpost sleeve system, which means you can’t lower the seatpost very much. You wouldn’t want to end up with a bike that you can’t get low enough on (but with long legs, that is unlikely to be an issue).

Sorry I don’t have much better information. It’s hard to say without meeting you in person, or at least seeing some photos. I’d also take your fitter’s word with a grain of salt. There are a LOT of “fitters” out there whose only qualification is that they showed up to a 3 day course.

Upon further research: it seems like the only real difference between 60 and 62 is that the 62 has a 2cm higher stack and a 2cm taller seat tube. If you truly need that extra stack, it’s not a wildly different fit. Plus, you can always lower the stem a bit if you think the 62 was too tall.

Last edited by smashndash; 04-27-20 at 04:50 PM.
smashndash is offline  
Old 04-28-20, 03:41 PM
  #14  
peterne
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 3

Bikes: Salsa Fargo - Focus O1E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash View Post
Upon further research: it seems like the only real difference between 60 and 62 is that the 62 has a 2cm higher stack and a 2cm taller seat tube. If you truly need that extra stack, it’s not a wildly different fit. Plus, you can always lower the stem a bit if you think the 62 was too tall.
Thank you for you reasoning and research. I believe the 62 would be the safest option to be sure the stack is high enough.

The bike fitter gave me this recommendation based on a fit where he put me on a Shimano fitting bike and adjusted until I felt well on it (one year ago). But with no experience on a dropbar this is difficult.

He told me a 60 would also be possible and that a hover handlebar (e.g. Specialized Hover Alloy Handlebars – 15mm -> I cannot post links yet :-)) could help if the stack would not be high enough.

When I bought my mtb I also was not sure but I could test ride it before ... If I would decide to buy a Domane now, I need to wait 10 weeks and make the right choice :-)
peterne is offline  
Old 06-01-20, 12:19 PM
  #15  
tak2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You can also get the smaller frame and put a +17 degree stem on it to gain stack height. The bike may handle better than a larger frame with a shorter stem
tak2 is offline  
Old 06-05-20, 01:06 AM
  #16  
AlgarveCycling
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: The Algarve, Portugal
Posts: 78

Bikes: Wilier Zero.6 (2019), Trek Madone SLR 6 (2020), KTM Scarp Sonic (2019)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I would highly recommend a proper bike fit - it isn't just about inseam and height but reach, shoulder width etc too. We can all tinker but my riding experience was immeasurably improved after I went to my LBS and had a pro bike fit involving accurate measurements matched to the bike of choice. With Trek, you can do the Project One customisation whereby you can then input not just the frame size you need but stem length, crank length etc. Makes a difference!
AlgarveCycling is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.