Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Muscle cramp, bike fit?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Muscle cramp, bike fit?

Old 02-24-20, 02:13 PM
  #1  
rbrides
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Triangle NC
Posts: 108

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Muscle cramp, bike fit?

I occasionally get cramps in the adductor muscles of my legs. Usually it is during longer (60 + miles) rides or ones with lots of climbing. Not just overall soreness, painful cramps.


Is there any specific component of bike-fit that relates to use of the adductors muscles that I might investigate to prevent this?
rbrides is offline  
Old 02-24-20, 03:51 PM
  #2  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,370

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides View Post
I occasionally get cramps in the adductor muscles of my legs. Usually it is during longer (60 + miles) rides or ones with lots of climbing. Not just overall soreness, painful cramps.


Is there any specific component of bike-fit that relates to use of the adductors muscles that I might investigate to prevent this?
Same here if I'm not sufficiently conditioned for such rides. Step up your training. A useful addition which also works those exact muscles is heavy barbell squats. I've never heard of that being a fit issue, and IME it's definitely an undertraining issue.

"Step up your training" - well, there's an indoor workout, FastPedal, consisting of pedaling steadily at a cadence of 115-120 against very light resistance, 15'-45', no breaks. And there are of course hill intervals, from 3' to 20'. Another good one is 2 X 30' X 5', holding power in zone 3 for 30' at 100 cadence, rest 5', repeat. Gotta stimulate 'em.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 02-24-20, 04:03 PM
  #3  
rbrides
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Triangle NC
Posts: 108

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Same here if I'm not sufficiently conditioned for such rides. Step up your training. A useful addition which also works those exact muscles is heavy barbell squats. I've never heard of that being a fit issue, and IME it's definitely an undertraining issue.

"Step up your training" - well, there's an indoor workout, FastPedal, consisting of pedaling steadily at a cadence of 115-120 against very light resistance, 15'-45', no breaks. And there are of course hill intervals, from 3' to 20'. Another good one is 2 X 30' X 5', holding power in zone 3 for 30' at 100 cadence, rest 5', repeat. Gotta stimulate 'em.
Thanks for your info.
rbrides is offline  
Old 02-24-20, 04:25 PM
  #4  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 3,771

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 289 Posts
I would tend to think a that would be conditioning or hydration and electrolytes, not fit. If you are taking meds then check the side effects. I had one prescription given to me that gave me severe leg cramps in every muscle of both legs. However not while riding thankfully.
Iride01 is offline  
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-25-20, 08:04 AM
  #5  
rbrides
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Triangle NC
Posts: 108

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. Meds are not something I thought about.
rbrides is offline  
Old 02-25-20, 07:45 PM
  #6  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 723

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 120 Posts
Most likely a hydration issue.

I always ride with one of my water bottle mixed with Gatorade at a 1:1 ratio (the one with sugar for extra energy ).
eduskator is offline  
Old 03-02-20, 10:36 AM
  #7  
rbrides
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Triangle NC
Posts: 108

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
Most likely a hydration issue.

I always ride with one of my water bottle mixed with Gatorade at a 1:1 ratio (the one with sugar for extra energy ).
Thank you
rbrides is offline  
Old 03-02-20, 12:34 PM
  #8  
base2 
Random Internet Person.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,324

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 150 Posts
Stretching does wonders
Like the difference between free-weights and an exercise machine. Free weights incorporate all the "helper muscles." My opinion is you are feeling the effects of working all the helper muscles. It's just part of conditioning & practice of doing any physical activity.

Ligaments do not get longer in length. Stretching however, convinces the muscle "it's ok" to get longer. As you build more muscle the tendency is to get larger in diameter & plump, getting shorter in the process. Cool if you are a body builder, but not if your scope is more than just good looks.

There is some intracellular adaption happening too on a metabolic level. This takes time. Keep consistant.

I'm not convinced your cramps are 100% electrolyte related. But like the other posters have said, calcium, magnesium, potassium couldn't hurt if supplemented just enough to correct a deficiency. Keeping a food log or visiting a nutritionist to figure out just how much & what you may/may not need if your diet is not particularly rich in the usual leafy greens...I drink Low Sodium V8 & eat an above average amount of spinach.

Cyclists tend to have tight hips. I am no exception. It took me over a year at over an hour a day/5 days a week with the above stretches & a foam roller to grind the knots out my psoas tendon. MRI's & weekly visits to a certified physical therapists were worth it though.

Good Luck.
Base2

Last edited by base2; 03-02-20 at 01:14 PM.
base2 is offline  
Likes For base2:
Old 03-02-20, 03:40 PM
  #9  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,370

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 340 Posts
^ Yes.
According to studies done of cramping athletes, neither hydration nor electrolytes have much if anything to do with cramping. Cramping is almost entirely about conditioning. Then the question becomes more focused: how to condition the involved muscles.

The electrolyte/hydration thing is just confused broscience. Once one is in shape, that stuff doesn't matter. One can dehydrate all the way down to nonfunctional and not cramp, and our bodies are a miracle of electrolyte level balancing.

What becomes an issue is getting hydration and nutrition across the stomach wall during hard efforts, that that takes some knowledge of proper hydration and electrolyte nutrition. In this case, that's a long way off. Get in shape first.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 03-09-20, 09:46 AM
  #10  
rbrides
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Triangle NC
Posts: 108

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
Stretching does wonders
Like the difference between free-weights and an exercise machine. Free weights incorporate all the "helper muscles." My opinion is you are feeling the effects of working all the helper muscles. It's just part of conditioning & practice of doing any physical activity.

Ligaments do not get longer in length. Stretching however, convinces the muscle "it's ok" to get longer. As you build more muscle the tendency is to get larger in diameter & plump, getting shorter in the process. Cool if you are a body builder, but not if your scope is more than just good looks.

There is some intracellular adaption happening too on a metabolic level. This takes time. Keep consistant.

I'm not convinced your cramps are 100% electrolyte related. But like the other posters have said, calcium, magnesium, potassium couldn't hurt if supplemented just enough to correct a deficiency. Keeping a food log or visiting a nutritionist to figure out just how much & what you may/may not need if your diet is not particularly rich in the usual leafy greens...I drink Low Sodium V8 & eat an above average amount of spinach.

Cyclists tend to have tight hips. I am no exception. It took me over a year at over an hour a day/5 days a week with the above stretches & a foam roller to grind the knots out my psoas tendon. MRI's & weekly visits to a certified physical therapists were worth it though.

Good Luck.
Base2
Adductor stretches
Thanks for the input.
rbrides is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.