Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

BikesDirect Gravity Liberty frame size for 6.0 feet

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

BikesDirect Gravity Liberty frame size for 6.0 feet

Old 11-30-14, 04:29 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikesDirect Gravity Liberty frame size for 6.0 feet

I am choosing my first road bike (I have very little experience with bikes in general). I decided to go with BD Gravity Liberty 2 (Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes).


The size chart says (Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes)

5' 10'' - 6'0'' - M/L - 53.5 CM
6'0 - 6' 3'' - L - 55.5 CM

I am exactly 6 feet. Which one is more likely to be a better fit?

P. S. I have read the discussions and I have seen a lot of advice to to to LBS, but that does not fit my budget.
Daniil123 is offline  
Old 11-30-14, 11:14 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
yankeefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 526

Bikes: Too many to list

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The conventional wisdom around here is that you should avoid purchasing your first bike online (I haven't been around that long, but it makes sense to me!). Fit is a lot more complicated than simply matching your height to a frame size based on a generic table. I won't give you the full lecture since you've already read a few threads, but I'd recommend going for the larger size when you fall on the height border. It's a lot easier to adjust a slightly bigger frame to fit you than it is to adjust a slightly smaller frame. Just make sure you have sufficient standover clearance.
yankeefan is offline  
Old 11-30-14, 11:29 PM
  #3  
Family, Health, Cycling
 
Lanceoldstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 1,590

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniil123
...P. S. I have read the discussions and I have seen a lot of advice to to to LBS, but that does not fit my budget.
If that is the case, I get it. Been there.

So, get the 55.5 & if you feel stretched out, to far from the handle bars, you can swap out to a shorter stem for very little money.

............................................................................. Stem
................................................................................ \


I am 6' even and I ride a 56, so you should be fine.

Last edited by Lanceoldstrong; 11-30-14 at 11:35 PM.
Lanceoldstrong is offline  
Old 12-01-14, 12:03 AM
  #4  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies! That's very helpful!
Daniil123 is offline  
Old 01-01-15, 05:42 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniil123
Thanks for your replies! That's very helpful!
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but OP I'm looking at the same bike and the same height as you but have short legs (30" pants inseam). I'm just curious if you ended up buying the bike and what size. If you did, how do you feel it fits? Thanks!
evil_lies is offline  
Old 01-01-15, 06:21 PM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought 55.5 Gravity Liberty. I like it a lot I think it fits very well - definitely does not feel too large for me.

However, if you have short legs - the standover clearance might be a concern. I only have ~ 1 inch in my case (which is the minimal safety limit I believe)
Daniil123 is offline  
Old 01-02-15, 02:14 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniil123
I bought 55.5 Gravity Liberty. I like it a lot I think it fits very well - definitely does not feel too large for me.

However, if you have short legs - the standover clearance might be a concern. I only have ~ 1 inch in my case (which is the minimal safety limit I believe)
Thanks. BD has a great deal on the Liberty 3, but it's only in 55.5. I think that's going to be too big for me. Bummer. I'm going to go try a Giant Defy to see how it feels.
evil_lies is offline  
Old 01-02-15, 03:24 AM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evil_lies
Thanks. BD has a great deal on the Liberty 3, but it's only in 55.5. I think that's going to be too big for me. Bummer. I'm going to go try a Giant Defy to see how it feels.
BikesDirect has had Gravity Liberty 3 listed on sale for $399 since Black Friday, and the only available size is 55.5 in yellow color. However if you actually try to buy it - they will tell you that they are sold out (this happened to me right after Black Friday and I just checked that it's still the case).

So, it would not work anyway
Daniil123 is offline  
Old 01-02-15, 03:30 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniil123
BikesDirect has had Gravity Liberty 3 listed on sale for $399 since Black Friday, and the only available size is 55.5 in yellow color. However if you actually try to buy it - they will tell you that they are sold out (this happened to me right after Black Friday and I just checked that it's still the case).

So, it would not work anyway
Oh, well then never mind. Thanks for the heads up. I was almost going to order it and swap the components to another frame if it didn't fit, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
evil_lies is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 03:06 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Corben's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 602

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by evil_lies
Oh, well then never mind. Thanks for the heads up. I was almost going to order it and swap the components to another frame if it didn't fit, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
I too was a confused lost soul as to which size frame I should get when I decided to purchase a bike from BD.
So as outlined on BD site I followed thier instructions for measuring my inseam/height and used thier charts to decide which size suited me between the three models I wanted. Two recommend a 50, and on a 52cm. Still unsure I emailed BD, as recommend by BD,if I had any questions concerning which size to get. And sure enough they concurred I did it correctly and those were the sizes I need for which ever model I wanted. I ended up buying a 50cm Dawes Lightning 1000. (Still available but in real life it's a much darker gray. Looks better too.) for 400 bucks. It's the best fitting road bike I ever owned. I replaced the red walled tires with thinner plain black ones. Much more zippy. Great bike at a great price.
Corben is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 12:55 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corben
I too was a confused lost soul as to which size frame I should get when I decided to purchase a bike from BD.
So as outlined on BD site I followed thier instructions for measuring my inseam/height and used thier charts to decide which size suited me between the three models I wanted. Two recommend a 50, and on a 52cm. Still unsure I emailed BD, as recommend by BD,if I had any questions concerning which size to get. And sure enough they concurred I did it correctly and those were the sizes I need for which ever model I wanted. I ended up buying a 50cm Dawes Lightning 1000. (Still available but in real life it's a much darker gray. Looks better too.) for 400 bucks. It's the best fitting road bike I ever owned. I replaced the red walled tires with thinner plain black ones. Much more zippy. Great bike at a great price.
Yeah, I need to get my wife to help me get my measurements. However, the more I've looked online the more I'm thinking I want to go used. I can get an even better "bang for my buck" that route. I've found bikes with Ultegra level components for about the price of BD bikes with Tiagra/Sora components. I'd really like to be at the Tiagra or 105 level, but I'm not sure how much it matters. I know the lower end stuff is heavier, but I'm about 250lbs, I doubt I'm going to notice an extra few ounces on the bike...
evil_lies is offline  
Old 01-04-15, 01:44 PM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Got any old LP records ? In Stocking/bare Feet, Pull that up between your legs as High as it will go. and mark the wall at that height , that is the Stand over Height ..

Overall height does not say how long the Leg part of You Is .

torso + arm length influences what stem reach You May want.
fietsbob is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Kenneth Luis
General Cycling Discussion
12
04-22-16 10:09 AM
JHendrix
Road Cycling
28
08-03-14 06:46 PM
TylerKane
General Cycling Discussion
8
09-02-10 08:43 PM
junkmanj
Fifty Plus (50+)
21
01-06-10 09:49 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.