Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-16, 11:03 AM   #26
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Bar End shifters would work too , Cassette/derailleur on the right, internal 3 speed on the left.

Microshift makes Both..

or bike friday split drop bars if he really wants to keep the grip shifters?
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 11:15 AM   #27
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
You can use a triple with a road cassette with a GS rear derailer. At least that's what Shimano supplies in its road triple group sets.
Oki, but for now there is a MTB (biggest is 32t) at the back and 53, 42, 30 at the front and the total difference in teeth is not for the GS. I think if I make major changes (and keep a der setup) I`d go for two rings in the front instead of a corn cob in the back.

Guess I should ride it a bit more and make a note of what gears I actually use. Waiting for a new front 42 chainring at the moment. It was worn out and the new chain on it gave me a serious chainsuck several times on my last ride. Luckily no damage.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 01:07 PM   #28
Amt0571
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Catalonia
Bikes: Rockrider 8.2, Triban 300, Dahon Mu P27
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwon View Post
For those wondering how to place dual drive shifters on dropbars. The solution is very simple. All you need is an accessory bar with a 31.8 mm clamp such as the evo spacebar pictured here. This allows you to slide the 27 speed grip shifter over the bar with plenty of space to spare with your handlebars. Ive had no problems with the shifter using this setup

The DualDrive works with mostly every triple shifter. You can use brifters, triggers or whatever you like. My Dahon Mu P27 for example, comes with X7 triggers, and the Speed Pro TT uses conventional road brifters.
Amt0571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 01:54 PM   #29
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist
 
invisiblehand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
Posts: 5,867
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
Oki, but for now there is a MTB (biggest is 32t) at the back and 53, 42, 30 at the front and the total difference in teeth is not for the GS. I think if I make major changes (and keep a der setup) I`d go for two rings in the front instead of a corn cob in the back.

Guess I should ride it a bit more and make a note of what gears I actually use. Waiting for a new front 42 chainring at the moment. It was worn out and the new chain on it gave me a serious chainsuck several times on my last ride. Luckily no damage.
Yep ... I'd call it a MTB cassette. An 11-28 ... raising the bottom end by about 10% ... should take care of the problem if you don't need such a low bottom. (this is a NWT ... right?) 30t chainring to a 28 rear will be something very close to 20 gear inches.

If you're using it for touring and aren't looking for say a narrower crank -- lower q-factor -- my take is that you get very little from going to a double. There is still lots of 9-speed stuff around. It's cheap and durable.

Good luck!
__________________
A narrative on bicycle driving.
invisiblehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 02:12 PM   #30
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
Yep ... I'd call it a MTB cassette. An 11-28 ... raising the bottom end by about 10% ... should take care of the problem if you don't need such a low bottom. (this is a NWT ... right?) 30t chainring to a 28 rear will be something very close to 20 gear inches.

If you're using it for touring and aren't looking for say a narrower crank -- lower q-factor -- my take is that you get very little from going to a double. There is still lots of 9-speed stuff around. It's cheap and durable.

Good luck!
NWT yes. I`ll look into it. I`ll be able to ride it more in a few weeks
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 03:21 PM   #31
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 30,718
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Way back, sun tour had a 3 pulley RD. That took up the extra Chain slack by having the chain path less direct,
but the wrap up was equivalent to a longer direct distance between, swing with just 2 pulleys.

SRam or S-A now offer hybrid cassette and Internal gear Hubs in a single Unit....

Way Way Back[57] I had a 3 speed with a triple cog cluster and a triple crank ,

I did have 3 shift levers to use on the 3 cubed 27 'speed' Sears-Puch J C Higgins..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 04:14 PM   #32
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Way back, sun tour had a 3 pulley RD. That took up the extra Chain slack by having the chain path less direct,
but the wrap up was equivalent to a longer direct distance between, swing with just 2 pulleys.

SRam or S-A now offer hybrid cassette and Internal gear Hubs in a single Unit....

Way Way Back[57] I had a 3 speed with a triple cog cluster and a triple crank ,

I did have 3 shift levers to use on the 3 cubed 27 'speed' Sears-Puch J C Higgins..

HA! brilliant.

smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 04:50 PM   #33
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwon View Post
For those wondering how to place dual drive shifters on dropbars. The solution is very simple. All you need is an accessory bar with a 31.8 mm clamp such as the evo spacebar pictured here. This allows you to slide the 27 speed grip shifter over the bar with plenty of space to spare with your handlebars. Ive had no problems with the shifter using this setup

i'd recommend the Braithwait Barô©

smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 06:23 AM   #34
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 3,004
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Really, really dont get why someone would fit trigger shifters on drop bars when racerace brifters work perfectly??

I prefer trigger shifters to gripshift. But drops and brifters are literally made for each other....

Only reason I can think of is cost as it doesnot require brifter purchase.
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 08:58 PM   #35
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
I don't think brifters work 'perfectly' with SRAM DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
Really, really dont get why someone would fit trigger shifters on drop bars when racerace brifters work perfectly??

I prefer trigger shifters to gripshift. But drops and brifters are literally made for each other....

Only reason I can think of is cost as it doesnot require brifter purchase.
Abu Mahendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 01:33 AM   #36
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 3,004
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post
I don't think brifters work 'perfectly' with SRAM DD.
Well they are fitted to bike fridays, dahons and terns (afaik) in this set up. I have 2 brifter dd mezzo conversions that work beautifully.
I feel a DD matched to brifters on bullbars is the ideal set up for fast commuting folders. I use bullbars with upright brake positions made from cut down drops turned upside down.
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 01:45 AM   #37
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Hmmm. Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
Well they are fitted to bike fridays, dahons and terns (afaik) in this set up. I have 2 brifter dd mezzo conversions that work beautifully.
I feel a DD matched to brifters on bullbars is the ideal set up for fast commuting folders. I use bullbars with upright brake positions made from cut down drops turned upside down.
Abu Mahendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-16, 06:05 AM   #38
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, Perfekt 3 Speed of unknown age, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer for exercise. Several others are now gone.
Posts: 4,381
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwon View Post
For those wondering how to place dual drive shifters on dropbars. The solution is very simple. All you need is an accessory bar with a 31.8 mm clamp such as the evo spacebar pictured here. This allows you to slide the 27 speed grip shifter over the bar with plenty of space to spare with your handlebars. Ive had no problems with the shifter using this setup

I used to have my Rohloff shifter on my expedition bike located where you have your DualDrive shifters. See first attached photo. But when I am going really slow on uneven terrain when touring with front panniers, there were several times when I wanted to downshift but I was hesitant to move my hand off of the handlebar to shift. A good example is up a steep hill on a poorly maintained gravel road, that required me to keep both hands on the handlebars for steering control. Thus, I decided I really did not like that shifter location.

Last week I changed to the Hubbub Adapter that puts the Rohloff shifter on the end of my handlebar. See second attached photo. This gives me much better steering control when going slow in uneven terrain.

But if you are always on good pavement where it is easy to steer with one hand, then there is no problem with your shifter location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20IMGP3000.jpg (94.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 20IMGP0091.jpg (98.8 KB, 178 views)
Tourist in MSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 03:45 PM   #39
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
or this..

smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 07:16 PM   #40
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Melbourne
Bikes:
Posts: 7,405
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
or this..

Winner!
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 10:25 AM   #41
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist
 
invisiblehand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
Posts: 5,867
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
or this..

Oh ... that's slick.
__________________
A narrative on bicycle driving.
invisiblehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 12:34 PM   #42
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 30,718
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Quill stems for 1" threaded headsets are 7/8", and so are straight bars (other than the center)
you did not know this?
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 01:47 PM   #43
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Quill stems for 1" threaded headsets are 7/8", and so are straight bars (other than the center)
you did not know this?
Same with bar ends. I have put bar ends on my trike to get more space for shifters, bell and stuff.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 05:42 AM   #44
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
25 months on...

Twenty five months on, and I've had absolutely no problems or issues with the SRAM DualDrive hub. The bike was bought second hand so the hub's been going for longer than that. No mis-shifts, no noises, no discernible resistance, no clickbox falling off, no maintainace woes, no adjustment, no nothing. The thing just works. Period/full stop.
Abu Mahendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 12:15 PM   #45
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 30,718
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Advantage to Planetary gears is Down shifting while stopped ..

Rolling thru all 14 gears on My Rohloff can be done sitting at a stop sign..

and I havent yet tried to rig up a 'Stupid Low' on my Bike Friday with a 39-53 double crank..

still using it as a 16:53.






...
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 04:18 PM   #46
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena, Bannard Sunny.
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
You often trumpet the Rohloff, Bob, but time and time again--here and elsewhere--you fail to mention the unmentionables. A Rohloff costs a good $1,200 and weighs no less than 1,700 grams. By comparison, a SDD hub costs $135, and weighs 960grams. Sure, when you add up the weight of a cogset and derailleur, you're gonna be at around the weight of a Rohloff, but...but...you haven't paid no $1,200 for those 1,700 grams. At the price of a Rohloff you can buy--and replace--a SDD hub, RD & cogset five times! The sensible money is not on Rohloff. You (should) know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Advantage to Planetary gears is Down shifting while stopped ..

Rolling thru all 14 gears on My Rohloff can be done sitting at a stop sign..

and I havent yet tried to rig up a 'Stupid Low' on my Bike Friday with a 39-53 double crank..

still using it as a 16:53.






...

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 12-26-16 at 06:45 PM.
Abu Mahendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-16, 09:46 PM   #47
Rick Imby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Funny this thread would come up as I have been riding in deep light snow on my Swift. On the unplowed bike trail with asphalt at the bottom and 9 inches of light snow once I got going I was able to keep going. I have a studded tire on the front however I have been using the bald 1.6" standard tire on the back and it is working fine. I had not come up with a spare back wheel to stud so I thought I would take it for a slippery spin with just the front studded and the slick in back. I am amazed at how well the slick works in back.

I was wishing I had lower than the 52/32 with the 406 wheel but most of the time I really like the 52/11 high gear. I only use it about 10 percent of the time but I use 7th gear a lot on the flats.
Rick Imby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 07:26 AM   #48
Rick Imby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Way back, sun tour had a 3 pulley RD. That took up the extra Chain slack by having the chain path less direct,
but the wrap up was equivalent to a longer direct distance between, swing with just 2 pulleys.

SRam or S-A now offer hybrid cassette and Internal gear Hubs in a single Unit....

Way Way Back[57] I had a 3 speed with a triple cog cluster and a triple crank ,

I did have 3 shift levers to use on the 3 cubed 27 'speed' Sears-Puch J C Higgins..
Those Austrians made some unusual bikes. Way Way back---I have never seen the 3 cubed shifter system. It would certainly be a classic if you still had it in working order.
Rick Imby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 09:35 AM   #49
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 30,718
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Mountain drive crank + BSR 3 speed 2 planetaries , 3rd to 4th is also a double shift..

Crank low range , up to high range, + hub from high 3rd, to low , 1st, , and the inverse 4th to 3rd.

can be done simultaneously , at a slow bogged down in too high a gear on a hill and chainrings barely turning,

Because both are planetary gears , the chain never has to be pushed off 1 cog or chainring to another..

Fwiw R'off does a similar double shift between 7th & 8th.. sequenced internally.


[my father, right after I went in the US Navy , 1966, (HS grad,> viet nam war conscription time) , gave my 3 cubed bike

to the son of a family friend , who promptly let it be stolen]



fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-16, 09:46 AM   #50
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 30,718
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
BTW, used R'off hubs sell for less than full retail ..their robust design makes them a safer buy than a used CF bike/frame.

Got my Koga WTR, whole bike, relatively cheap, only had to get the external oil seals replaced..

(picked up a used Hub and rebuilt the wheel to keep the transportation function going)





fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:26 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION