Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-17, 10:08 PM   #51
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linberl View Post
Thanks for the answer. I'm ordering tomorrow. My brake choice (shimano 105) is also 49mm drop and BF says I can go up to marathon plus. Guess I will keep that email just in case =).
Have you looked at this tikit in Dublin? It's a 60cm frame which they bill as Large, but it might work for you because you like a leaned-over position. I'm sure that stem is too long, but that's easily changed.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bid/d/bike-friday-tikit/6377632002.html
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 10:27 PM   #52
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2003 Bike Friday (restored & sold: 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
Have you looked at this tikit in Dublin? It's a 60cm frame which they bill as Large, but it might work for you because you like a leaned-over position. I'm sure that stem is too long, but that's easily changed.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bid...377632002.html
I saw that. my frame is a 48cm, that's a pretty big difference. The person who let me test ride her pakiT had a small frame tikit she was thinking of selling but it was an IGH and I really don't want an internal hub (yah, i know, everyone loves them). If she'd a rear der model, I might have jumped on it.

I spent a lot of time today on a brompton, checking out the way the smaller tires ride. Found a dealer a ways away who actually knew what he was doing and he got me almost comfortable on a 2 speed s version. But I know what a good fit feels like from my NWT and it just wasn't there. Tires are okay just need to avoid big potholes and pay more attention to the road.

I'm ordering tomorrow. Ended up changing the crankset to something lighter, going with the 105 brakes/levers, when I talk to Steve on the phone we may get it down to 17 lbs =). I'm happy with my decision. First brand new bike I have ever had in my life! Every other one I have bought used and fixed up. Thanks for all your help.
linberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-18, 08:01 PM   #53
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL
Thread Starter
 
1nterceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NEW YORK, NY - USA
Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X
Posts: 4,379
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Update: pakiT went back to Bike Friday to have rear triangle issues sorted. So while it was back at the factory; I asked my dealer(BFold of NYC) to order some lighter parts. Item that weren't available for my trim. These parts are normally available only for the Xtralite trim - titanium seat mast/post, aluminum stem mast, Velocity front wheel. Got it back after a few weeks. Everything seems to be in order. Also added Ti Parts Workshop Double X platform pedals.
BF pakiT 8.6 kilos by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
1nterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 11:32 AM   #54
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist
 
invisiblehand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
Posts: 5,867
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Sweet!
__________________
A narrative on bicycle driving.
invisiblehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-18, 08:30 PM   #55
tamnalan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dayton OH
Bikes: BF Pakit, Early 90s Merlin road bike, some old Cannondales & Fuji road bikes
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I bought a pakiT last summer. I like it! Mine has an RF-4 IGH and belt drive. I'm running Marathon Plus tires. This bike seems at home on both mild off-road trails and on the road. I'm a long-time road rider and this is my first folding bike. It's more flexy and "twitchy" steering-wise than my road bikes but I got used to it. The 4-speed hub has big gear splits but that's ok for a bike like this, IMHO.
tamnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 07:44 AM   #56
12boy
Senior Member
 
12boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: casper wy usa
Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Any issues with the 4 speed so far? How does that set up weigh?
12boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 10:32 AM   #57
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2003 Bike Friday (restored & sold: 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnalan View Post
I bought a pakiT last summer. I like it! Mine has an RF-4 IGH and belt drive. I'm running Marathon Plus tires. This bike seems at home on both mild off-road trails and on the road. I'm a long-time road rider and this is my first folding bike. It's more flexy and "twitchy" steering-wise than my road bikes but I got used to it. The 4-speed hub has big gear splits but that's ok for a bike like this, IMHO.
You can reduce some of that twitchy behavior by adding a low front load - using a Vario rack or other attachment for your bag over the front wheel. Makes a big difference, particularly at high speeds.
linberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 10:38 AM   #58
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2003 Bike Friday (restored & sold: 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
Update: pakiT went back to Bike Friday to have rear triangle issues sorted. So while it was back at the factory; I asked my dealer(BFold of NYC) to order some lighter parts. Item that weren't available for my trim. These parts are normally available only for the Xtralite trim - titanium seat mast/post, aluminum stem mast, Velocity front wheel. Got it back after a few weeks. Everything seems to be in order. Also added Ti Parts Workshop Double X platform pedals.
BF pakiT 8.6 kilos by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Maybe they've changed things since you first ordered. When I ordered the titanium seat mast was an option (they told me not to get it since I was hooking up a burley travoy; I guess titanium isn't as strong as steel??). The elite fork was also an option (which I didn't get because my friction drive will be mounted on my forks so I thought the stronger ones would be better). The aluminum stem mast was NOT something I saw listed - do you know what the weight saving is on that? And the velocity wheels were an option as I got them front and rear. I'd love to shave another pound or two, but can't think of where except replacing the BB and crankset (which I conifgured lighter than stock but not that light) and the claris derailleur. Waiting for wear to justify it.

Your purchase inspired me to go ahead and buy my own pakiT. I'm very very happy with it, especially now that I'm using Squirt lube. Zero chain mess so I'm not jonesing for a belt drive, lol.
linberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 01:12 PM   #59
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL
Thread Starter
 
1nterceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NEW YORK, NY - USA
Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X
Posts: 4,379
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
@linberl , I think there might differences when ordering through a dealer(What I did), and ordering directly(what you did).
If you go to BF's configuration page; no hub options, no titanium options listed for the 8 speed der. model:
https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2168
I emailed directly if I can have lighter options; no reply. I asked my shop to ask BF, they told us no.

Only 1 stem riser offered for 8 speed der.:
Pakit 1 1/8" stem riser 15" CroMoly .035 Black $0.00 230g

2 options listed for Xtralite model; https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2162 :
-1.0.3 Pakit 1 1/8" stem riser 15" Aluminum Black $-80.00 130g
-1.0.4 Pakit1 1/8" stem riser 15" TI .035 $0.00 115g

Here's what I posted on the The pakiT pack! Facebook page to a guy asking about taking off more weight:
" If you click on the photo; it will open a new page with the full specifications/parts list. Some parts that made the weight lighter; titanium seatmast/post, full carbon fiber saddle, titanium pedals, 44T chainring/no guard, Velocity front wheel, etc. Future mods to cut more weight; folding Kojak tires or Primo Comets, carbon handle bar, KMC superlight chain, titanium skewers, lighter brake calipers(Dura Ace/FSA SL-K), take off kickstand, ilink/alligator cable housings, etc. Most of these are my ideas; some are in collaboration with my BF dealer - BFold of New York City. You can contact them to get mentioned parts and/or discuss more ideas."
1nterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 01:33 PM   #60
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2003 Bike Friday (restored & sold: 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
@linberl , I think there might differences when ordering through a dealer(What I did), and ordering directly(what you did).
If you go to BF's configuration page; no hub options, no titanium options listed for the 8 speed der. model:
https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2168
I emailed directly if I can have lighter options; no reply. I asked my shop to ask BF, they told us no.

Only 1 stem riser offered for 8 speed der.:
Pakit 1 1/8" stem riser 15" CroMoly .035 Black $0.00 230g

2 options listed for Xtralite model; https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2162 :
-1.0.3 Pakit 1 1/8" stem riser 15" Aluminum Black $-80.00 130g
-1.0.4 Pakit1 1/8" stem riser 15" TI .035 $0.00 115g

Here's what I posted on the The pakiT pack! Facebook page to a guy asking about taking off more weight:
" If you click on the photo; it will open a new page with the full specifications/parts list. Some parts that made the weight lighter; titanium seatmast/post, full carbon fiber saddle, titanium pedals, 44T chainring/no guard, Velocity front wheel, etc. Future mods to cut more weight; folding Kojak tires or Primo Comets, carbon handle bar, KMC superlight chain, titanium skewers, lighter brake calipers(Dura Ace/FSA SL-K), take off kickstand, ilink/alligator cable housings, etc. Most of these are my ideas; some are in collaboration with my BF dealer - BFold of New York City. You can contact them to get mentioned parts and/or discuss more ideas."
Didn't realize there was a difference between dealer orders and online. In any case, I looked at all the options for all the models and then talked with my BF rep and mixed and matched. No problems with that building my custom order. I even opted for brakes and cranks that were not listed at all (Shimano 105/Sugino) and lighter cassette and chain (SRAM). I'll check out those weight options - my seat/pedals are already super light. Folding kojaks definitely when my current kojaks die. If I could give up my ergo grips I could save some weight but I really love them.
linberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-18, 02:39 PM   #61
tamnalan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dayton OH
Bikes: BF Pakit, Early 90s Merlin road bike, some old Cannondales & Fuji road bikes
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Agreed, the belt drive is a little spendy! I think it provides a better return than titanium parts, at least for what I sought. I wanted a dependable travel bike that would not require much maintenance. A derailleur cage hangs pretty low on a 16" wheel bike. I was too poor to spring for an Alfine or Rohloff hub as well, dangit.


The RF-4 has a decent range. I spin out at a little under 20 mph and first gear is low enough for mild single-track.
tamnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 01:11 PM   #62
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 30,791
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3651 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
It's not a choice, you're talking about Bike Friday models that have nothing to do with the Pakit. The seatpost drops down to fold the bike just like Brompton, Dahon, etc. You're welcome.
they seem to have settled on the EZ pack (Y/N ?), removable parts for seat and bar masts.. , rather than hinged?
those things changed in development,, they tried the folding style too..

Perhaps you have a choice.. on your order specs.. unlike other folders they make them as the funded orders arrive.

I bought pre ordered bikes ..1, abandoned, the BTO guy did not like the finished color, the other 2nd hand..







....

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-23-18 at 01:28 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 04:57 PM   #63
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: 2003 Bike Friday (restored & sold: 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
they seem to have settled on the EZ pack (Y/N ?), removable parts for seat and bar masts.. , rather than hinged?
those things changed in development,, they tried the folding style too..

Perhaps you have a choice.. on your order specs.. unlike other folders they make them as the funded orders arrive.

I bought pre ordered bikes ..1, abandoned, the BTO guy did not like the finished color, the other 2nd hand..






....
The pakiT isn't at all like the other BF models - not folding OR ez pack. It is much more like a typical Dahon or Brompton in terms of seatpost. It drops down to lock the rear wheel folded for carrying (primary design); that necessitates that it removes for packing. A folding seat mast would not lock the rear wheel (without a strap) and would make the quick fold process not at all quick, just like the NWT. It takes 20 seconds to flip the rear wheel under, drop the seat post and pop the stem mast on the frame. There are videos on you tube.
There is no way to make a folding seatmast on a pakiT.
linberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION