Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-17, 05:28 AM   #1
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Brompton M-Type stem swap for an S-type

Hi all, I'm restoring a Brompton M6L to become my daily commute bike and want to swap out the M stem for an S Stem as I find the riding position way too upright on the M. Does anybody have an S-type stem (any colour, but if it's black that's great!) they would like to sell or swap for an M-Type stem?

I have - on another M-type put lower rise bars on in the past - but this time I want to go for flat bars to give more space for lights, phone etc.
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 06:08 AM   #2
berlinonaut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I'd probably be helpful if you'd at least state which country you are living in...
berlinonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 07:53 AM   #3
reppans
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New England
Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Just put flat bars on the M stem?... or is that to low for you?
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 10:14 AM   #4
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,060
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
Brompton has put in place protected dealerships .. so you just contact the dealers in your country,

the only alternative is if you live in a country with NO Brompton dealers, then sellers such as SJS Cycles in UK can ship to you..

the H bar mast seems to have the central clamp at the similar height as the S mast,

hinge relocated higher so a riser bar wont hit the ground when folded..

the vertical part of the M bar can be used for lights, there are add ons to fix them to,

and people have used a cross bar connecting the U parts if All You want is accessory space....






....

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-17 at 10:18 AM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 10:37 AM   #5
berlinonaut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
the H bar mast seems to have the central clamp at the similar height as the S mast,

hinge relocated higher so a riser bar wont hit the ground when folded..
We just had this a couple of days ago: No, no more. https://www.bikeforums.net/19912116-post15.html
berlinonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 10:53 AM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,060
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
Done 1st person measurements?
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 02:23 PM   #7
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinonaut View Post
I'd probably be helpful if you'd at least state which country you are living in...
Ha, sorry I thought it pulled through from my profile. UK South
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 02:25 PM   #8
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppans View Post
Just put flat bars on the M stem?... or is that to low for you?
Iím going to try that, but isnít the S stem also raked forward to increase the reach? Iíve got quite long arms lol
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 02:28 PM   #9
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Brompton has put in place protected dealerships .. so you just contact the dealers in your country,

the only alternative is if you live in a country with NO Brompton dealers, then sellers such as SJS Cycles in UK can ship to you..

the H bar mast seems to have the central clamp at the similar height as the S mast,

hinge relocated higher so a riser bar wont hit the ground when folded..

the vertical part of the M bar can be used for lights, there are add ons to fix them to,

and people have used a cross bar connecting the U parts if All You want is accessory space....






....
I have a feeling Brompton have stopped supplying frame parts to private buyers forcing you to take it Toby a dealer to have the work done
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 02:32 PM   #10
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,060
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
Well let those interested know how you sort it out.

the Mk4 frames (cast hinge tube 'lug' ) are longer than the old Mk2, (fillet butt brazed forged hinge plates)


.....

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-17 at 02:35 PM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-17, 03:06 PM   #11
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Done 1st person measurements?
?
My road bike is set up like:
Pedal to saddle: 95cm
Tip of saddle to hoods : 66cm
Handlebar height: 93cm
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 09:44 AM   #12
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,060
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
Virtual top tube, a horizontal line, is 24"/62Cm between steering axis and seat tube CL on Brompton /Mk4 frames.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 02:26 PM   #13
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Virtual top tube, a horizontal line, is 24"/62Cm between steering axis and seat tube CL on Brompton /Mk4 frames.
Iíll give it a go
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 02:31 PM   #14
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Well let those interested know how you sort it out.

the Mk4 frames (cast hinge tube 'lug' ) are longer than the old Mk2, (fillet butt brazed forged hinge plates)


.....
OK itís a fillet butt brazed. Top of the range one at that so Iím going to clean it up, service and resell in original spec as itís in pretty good shape.

So Iím on the lookout for an S6 or S3 in need of TLC. No cracks or dents. Doesnít matter if the wheels are buckled, the shifters and mudguards are broken and the saddleís ripped; as long as the frame, fork, rear hub and external Derailleur if it has one are in good shape Iím interested
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 02:55 PM   #15
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,060
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
I replaced the stock front wheel with a dyno hub , so I have an extra Front wheel from my Mk4,

the Mk2 had s steel hubshell & 20 radial spokes, 20 hole rim the frame length was shorter, too..

back then the 5 speed was the Dual pull chain on both ends of the rear hub, the

1st 3 by 2 was the Mk3, (Ref: The Brompton Book)

they got Sachs to make those hubs, 3 spline SA compatible, 13 & a skip every 5th tooth 15t.

the frame got a braze on mount for the chain shoving fork that pushed the pulley flanges..

MK 4 they started back to Sturmey now a Sun Race company, hubs BSR & BWR a wider 3 ratios.





....

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-24-17 at 03:04 PM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 03:44 PM   #16
12boy
Senior Member
 
12boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: casper wy usa
Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
I would surely try a flat or riser bar on your M stem before going to the trouble to swap out. You can also buy an Alber Halo which will put your bar out another 2 inches or so. Dropping the height of the bar will also create a longer reach for you. You may or may not need a QR post binder instead of a bolt to move the bars for folding purposes.
12boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 03:45 PM   #17
12boy
Senior Member
 
12boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: casper wy usa
Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc
Posts: 279
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
My goof. It is Aber Hallo.
12boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 09:09 AM   #18
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12boy View Post
My goof. It is Aber Hallo.
HAHa thanks for that Iíll check out the Aber Hallo
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 09:14 AM   #19
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I replaced the stock front wheel with a dyno hub , so I have an extra Front wheel from my Mk4,

the Mk2 had s steel hubshell & 20 radial spokes, 20 hole rim the frame length was shorter, too..

back then the 5 speed was the Dual pull chain on both ends of the rear hub, the

1st 3 by 2 was the Mk3, (Ref: The Brompton Book)

they got Sachs to make those hubs, 3 spline SA compatible, 13 & a skip every 5th tooth 15t.

the frame got a braze on mount for the chain shoving fork that pushed the pulley flanges..

MK 4 they started back to Sturmey now a Sun Race company, hubs BSR & BWR a wider 3 ratios.





....
Wow; thank you. So itís a Mk3. Anybody whoís interred in a good condition Mk3 fully serviced, Iíll be selling it in its original spec in a few weeks. Or if you have an S3 or knackered S6 you would want to swap
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 12:39 PM   #20
berlinonaut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Bikes:
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I replaced the stock front wheel with a dyno hub , so I have an extra Front wheel from my Mk4,

the Mk2 had s steel hubshell & 20 radial spokes, 20 hole rim the frame length was shorter, too..

back then the 5 speed was the Dual pull chain on both ends of the rear hub, the

1st 3 by 2 was the Mk3, (Ref: The Brompton Book)

they got Sachs to make those hubs, 3 spline SA compatible, 13 & a skip every 5th tooth 15t.

the frame got a braze on mount for the chain shoving fork that pushed the pulley flanges..

MK 4 they started back to Sturmey now a Sun Race company, hubs BSR & BWR a wider 3 ratios.
Half correct. 20 radial spokes on the front-wheel were only in the very first years of the MK2, later Mk2 models had the 28 spokes that are used until today. The S/A 5/2 was used until around 1993 or 1994 the S/A Sprinter was invented.

MK3 was invented in 2000, having a lot of enhancements including a new folding hinge on the stem and stailness steel spokes.
Sachs 3*2 was invented in 2002, Sachs 3-speed already back in 2001.

Mk4 was invented in 2004, having the new hinge on the main frame and therefor the longer frame.
From the beginning of 2005 on the 3-speed was a S/A again and the shifters changed, the 6 speed (3*2) still was Sachs until in 2009 the BWR by S/A got invented.
berlinonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-17, 12:58 PM   #21
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,060
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3171 Post(s)
OK I only had one..

it was black a 3 speed had a rack and a bottle dynamo, and the head and tail lights had incandescent bulbs.

the bars were not 22.2, so only round rubber grips fit..

put the new QR Rear latch on , before I sold it when I got a used Mk4 M3L.


the Brompton Book has a lot of that sort of history , to sound like an expert on them..






.....
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-17, 10:46 AM   #22
junkycosmos
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theador View Post
Hi all, I'm restoring a Brompton M6L to become my daily commute bike and want to swap out the M stem for an S Stem as I find the riding position way too upright on the M. Does anybody have an S-type stem (any colour, but if it's black that's great!) they would like to sell or swap for an M-Type stem?

I have - on another M-type put lower rise bars on in the past - but this time I want to go for flat bars to give more space for lights, phone etc.


I have a 2014 type S (white) and am looking for a type H or type M stem. So trying to go the reverse. I'm in the US so shipping might not be good
junkycosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-17, 11:12 AM   #23
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkycosmos View Post
I have a 2014 type S (white) and am looking for a type H or type M stem. So trying to go the reverse. I'm in the US so shipping might not be good
Ye post will probably be a problem.

Keep it in mind though
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-17, 05:22 PM   #24
HGR3inOK 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkycosmos View Post
I have a 2014 type S (white) and am looking for a type H or type M stem. So trying to go the reverse. I'm in the US so shipping might not be good
I have sent you a Private Message, but, as a "new" forum member, you may not be able to see it yet.

Regards,

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
__________________
DISCLOSURE: I have an ownership interest in a company that is an authorized dealer for Brompton.
HGR3inOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 03:24 AM   #25
theador
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK View Post
I have sent you a Private Message, but, as a "new" forum member, you may not be able to see it yet.

Regards,

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Hi, yes sorry, it's not come through, hopefully they'll free me up soon
theador is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:04 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION