Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-17, 08:13 AM   #1
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Pin broken in handlebar stem

I noticed that there was a sound as i was cycling along and then i noticed one end of the pin or screw or whatever it is called was sticking out a bit. I took the pin out and noticed that the other part that would have screwed into it but snapped off from the rest that is inside folding/hinge area/thing. Sorry i have no idea what the proper name is for any of this. This is the bicycle Happy Feet - a Light Folding Electric Bike | Ezi-go
Is this the type of part i can get anywhere. I didnt take the whole pin out as the bike might collapse
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg bike1.jpeg (137.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpeg bike.jpeg (129.1 KB, 131 views)
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-17, 09:42 AM   #2
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Have you contacted the manufacturer?
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-17, 10:31 AM   #3
Doc_Wui
Senior Member
 
Doc_Wui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Bikes: Diamonback, Transeo, Trek, Giant
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Yes. Try to get a replacement pin from the seller. I doubt you can find a hex head bolt in the hardware store that would work without needing some machine work. Might not be as strong either.

If no pin is available, you can probably buy a replacement stem.
Doc_Wui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-17, 11:03 AM   #4
tudorowen1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cleethorpes..the last resort..UK
Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
You should find a replacement stem on Ebay easily enough as long as it's an old fashioned headset of 1 inch or 11/8th inches ..More difficult if it's like a modern Dahon with strange Ahead type headset..
tudorowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-17, 04:28 PM   #5
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Don't ride it in that condition!
Steve
sweeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 09:13 AM   #6
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Hi I only know of the distributor which had the website i included. He has gone out of business some months ago and has nothing anymore
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 09:15 AM   #7
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui View Post
Yes. Try to get a replacement pin from the seller. I doubt you can find a hex head bolt in the hardware store that would work without needing some machine work. Might not be as strong either.

If no pin is available, you can probably buy a replacement stem.
Yes i was thinking about the strength of something else. The distributor has gone out of business and i have no leads to a manufacturer. OK so that stem would include the bolt?
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 09:16 AM   #8
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorowen1 View Post
You should find a replacement stem on Ebay easily enough as long as it's an old fashioned headset of 1 inch or 11/8th inches ..More difficult if it's like a modern Dahon with strange Ahead type headset..
Oh yes someone above mentioned the stem. I dont know how to measure or what to measure though
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 09:17 AM   #9
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeks View Post
Don't ride it in that condition!
Steve
Yes i know...i just had to get home the day i noticed. No other way to get home

Last edited by rapattack; 10-31-17 at 07:14 PM.
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-17, 10:05 AM   #10
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapattack View Post
Oh yes someone above mentioned the stem. I dont know how to measure or what to measure though
Take the stem off the bike and photograph the end that connects to the fork. Then it will be possible to advise you what to look for. As someone said ^^, it's most likely either a 1" or 1-1/8" connection, but it's hard to tell from the images you linked to.

Alternatively, you could seek advice from a shop with expertise in folder maintenance and repair. The fact that it's an e-bike doesn't really matter for the stem replacement, but the fact that it's an e-bike **really** makes it important to fix!
Steve

Last edited by sweeks; 10-30-17 at 10:51 AM.
sweeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 04:34 PM   #11
Bonzo Banana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
It doesn't look like a design that would clamp onto a fork tube. I can't see any side bolts or places for them. It looks like a threaded assembly.



It's helped me anyway, I have a folding bike with this but can see an upgrade to a superior height adjustable version is quite reasonable. I'm upgrading the bike anyway with a better drivetrain so might as well stump up for a height adjustable handlebar stem.





Bonzo Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 07:13 PM   #12
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeks View Post
Take the stem off the bike and photograph the end that connects to the fork. Then it will be possible to advise you what to look for. As someone said ^^, it's most likely either a 1" or 1-1/8" connection, but it's hard to tell from the images you linked to.

Alternatively, you could seek advice from a shop with expertise in folder maintenance and repair. The fact that it's an e-bike doesn't really matter for the stem replacement, but the fact that it's an e-bike **really** makes it important to fix!
Steve
Oh thanks good news i did go to a ebike shop and they had the right part. Its a good thing i did go too because it was very hard to get out and took much longer than expected. I watched as the mechanic did it it
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 07:15 PM   #13
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapattack View Post
Oh thanks good news i did go to a ebike shop and they had the right part. Its a good thing i did go too because it was very hard to get out and took much longer than expected. I watched as the mechanic did it it
sweeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-17, 07:16 PM   #14
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana View Post
It doesn't look like a design that would clamp onto a fork tube. I can't see any side bolts or places for them. It looks like a threaded assembly.



It's helped me anyway, I have a folding bike with this but can see an upgrade to a superior height adjustable version is quite reasonable. I'm upgrading the bike anyway with a better drivetrain so might as well stump up for a height adjustable handlebar stem.





Oh yes it looks like that first bike(the stem). Good news is that i went to an ebike shop and they got the bolt out. Glad i did because it took them a while to get it out. All good now. Thanks for this info
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 12:12 AM   #15
Doc_Wui
Senior Member
 
Doc_Wui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Bikes: Diamonback, Transeo, Trek, Giant
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
They must have replaced just the pin? Best for costs.
Doc_Wui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 06:19 AM   #16
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui View Post
They must have replaced just the pin? Best for costs.
Yes they did
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 03:42 PM   #17
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 8
Posts: 29,105
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3183 Post(s)
know of steel roll pins? its a thing that is common machine practice piece.. Spring tempered steel
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 05:12 PM   #18
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
know of steel roll pins? its a thing that is common machine practice piece.. Spring tempered steel
I dont know what that is no
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 07:43 PM   #19
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapattack View Post
I dont know what that is no
Google is your friend! https://www.huyett.com/Products/Fast...ns/Spring-Pins
Steve
sweeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 07:54 PM   #20
rapattack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rapattack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sydney
Bikes: EziGo zoom
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeks View Post
Thanks but situation is fixed. No time for new things
rapattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 08:06 PM   #21
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapattack View Post
Thanks but situation is fixed. No time for new things
Understood. Posted for information only!
Steve
sweeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 12:43 PM   #22
Bonzo Banana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Ordered my upgrade stem yesterday with the 11/11 singles day promotion. Worked out about 19 in the end with the vouchers I used plus cashback and the discount of 11/11.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...792616287.html

Looking forward to replacing the more basic stem supplied with the bike. It looks very similar to the stem on my other folding bike.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150202...paris-explorer

Except the rake angle may be different.
Bonzo Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION